Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How long until YOU have to replace tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long until YOU have to replace tires?

I was curious about how often my fellow cbrforum buddies have to change their tires? How many miles do you all see per set? I have about 3500+ miles on my bike already, and until just recently I haven't really noticed much wearing. Here is a picture of both my brothers bike, and mine. He just put pilot powers on his, only got about 5200 miles or so on his stock ones.

Also do you think it has to do with how many wheelies you do? Because just recently I've been exploring that aspect, and since then I've noticed a significant difference. So if someone were to putt around they would in theory get 10,000 miles or more to a tire?

Pardon my ugly rear end, this is before the 03-06 integrated light, which I'll be posting up very shortly to show you all how that turned out.
Name:  DSC01179-1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  183.6 KB

Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Banned
Default RE: How long until YOU have to replace tires?

So many variables, maybe to give more accurate answers you could include a couple of brands in your poll, but then there would be a ton of choices, lol.

Pilot Powers'are super soft, the new Metzlers are supposed to be harder than the Pilotswhile offering comparable traction. Can't stand Pirellis, I personally think them to wear the worst of any tires. Had some Bridgestones that seemed to take forever to heat up and didn't seem to wear evenly or with much consistency. Had some Tomahawks on the F4 that were really great - seemed to wear evenly, had greattractionand had quite a lot of life in them.

Never rode Dunlops, Shinkos or anything else though...

Can't really say about miles, but I can tell you which gave me the most ride for the money, and those were the Tomahawks. If money wasn't an objoect it would be Michelins everytime.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:32 AM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Had some Tomahawks on the F4 that were really great - seemed to wear evenly, had greattractionand had quite a lot of life in them.

Can't really say about miles, but I can tell you which gave me the most ride for the money, and those were the Tomahawks.
Thanks for the detailed response Kid. I'd never heard of Tomahawks before, but I just googled them and found someplace on ebay that sells them in 180 for 80 bucks...shipped! Damn, thats sweet. I'm planning on getting 2CT's when mine wear out, my brother says they're pretty good. He actually said he liked the stock ones better though, anyone know what they are?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Banned

Don't know for certain, going to guess Dunlops.

I'm thinking the Dunlops probably last quite a bit longer than the Michelins he's got, but I couldn't imagine their grip being superior... ?

But then again, with so many riding styles it's just so hard to get an accurate reading of any one tire. Plus - dem sunsabitches ain't cheap! Yeah those Tomahawks were on the F4 when I got it but they had maybe 50 miles on them. The guy bought them as a set on eBay for like $150 if I'm not mistaken.

I know with my riding, which is pushing it a lot, the Tomahawks had great grip wet or dry. If I had to choose 2 tires for the rest of my life I'd choose Pilots and Tomahawks based on my own experiences (given what I've tried). I've been able to push those tires farther, more comfortably than any others I've ridden.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah to many variables involved here, but 7000 -10000 (for some reason I got an error trying to vote) I had a bike once that I thought the front tyre would never wear out (a Beemer) & I was right, the compound had gone that hard, it would stay legal for enternity, no grip, but lots of tread.
My mate GSX1400 goes through rears every 3000-5000 just putting all that mumbo to the road.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:27 AM

OMFG POLLS DONT WORK PEOPLE!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:54 AM

I got 9000 miles out of my stock dunlops. The next tires were m3's i got about 5000 miles out of them and they are still good I just recently changed them out due to a nail in the front tire to m3's again.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Used to run m1's, got about 3000 out of those on average. Running the m3's now, looks like i will make a good 4000 or so on them.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:33 AM
RCR

3-5G max on my rears, I ride more aggressive so don't expect too many miles out of em. No burnouts though.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:40 AM

I run dunlops, have about 5k on my front, and 2k on my rear...still have plenty of tread. my last pair of dunlops the guy put on said they had 3k, I rode another 4k then got a nail in the rear, and the tire still had tread left. the front was a bridgestone and after the 4k it was time to be replaced.

I like the dunlops...got them really cheap off ebay.

Quick Reply: How long until YOU have to replace tires?