Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How far do you ride?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How far do you ride?

Howdy,

I've been talking with a few of the other riders at school about a group ride, but everyone I ask says that anything over 50 miles round trip is too long to ride on a sportbike.

I think these people either are A) complete wimps, or B) have horrible riding posture. Or both.

Outside of my commuting (less than 5 miles each way) I don't normally take the bike on anything shorter than a 50 mile round trip, and my favorite weekend ride is just over 80 round trip. I'm also a fan of a nice loop, but it falls in at 260 or so, so I guess that's a sport touring ride, not quite a sport ride.

When you go out for fun, how far do you normally ride?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. They are both. When i go on a joy ride which happens atleast 2-3 times a week my trips are over 70 miles. Once i went on a group ride that lasted 130 miles and when i got home i went to austin for a 3 day weekend on my bike. That was just over 450 miles in a day and i was still ready to go.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50 would be a quick ride, spur of the moment type deal.

Most group rides I do are a 100 plus with 200 not being unusual.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 PM

yeah its definitely both if theyre done before 50 miles. Ive been wanting to ride my bike to school which is about 4-450 miles i think but i wasnt sure if thatd be too far or not. Id take a couple breaks obviously so i think itd be a nice ride but 50 is nothing. I dont consider anything over 100 a serious ride.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

usually enough to where I have to fill up just as i get home, or in the middle of the ride itself.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on a couple of things. What kind of riding/roads are you going to take on. And what you plan to do a long the way. Site seeing, stop for lunch & a beer.
I've done the Sydney to Brisbane run & back again on a long week-end, 1000 klm (620 mls)
each way. Mind you I lost all feeling in my bum about half way & I thought that I'd never by able to use my hands again + I had a bloody great hangover on the way back (& had spent the night passed out in a paddock the night before).

A full on 50 mile run with your friends, taking in some serious twisties, will tax you, as your using a lot of energy physically & mentally, especially if your not used to it.
Where a leisurely punt through the countryside won't be (like that's going to happen).
I find group riding, taking in some good back roads, a good adrenalin rush, Its not till I'm back home & on my 2nd beer, before I feel knackered.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:42 PM

I haven't been on a group ride since I left Tucson. They averaged 150-200 round trip. I missed the rough riders ride this past Saturday my daily commute is 40 rain or shine hot or cold. I keep on my Honda year round.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by comodidit
Howdy,

I've been talking with a few of the other riders at school about a group ride, but everyone I ask says that anything over 50 miles round trip is too long to ride on a sportbike.
I'd say that anything LESS than 50 miles isn't worth the time it takes to put on my helmet, jacket and gloves. Are these guys a bunch of weenie sniffers or something? Hell, I pedal nearly that far each day on my bicycle back and forth to work.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:19 AM

76 kilometres to work, 76 kilometres home. Don't usually want to stop riding on the way home and could quite easily keep going some days. I often take the twisty, longer way home that adds an extra 20 minutes to the "commute". I'm not on a dedicated sports bike but even if it were a handle bars below the triple clamps type of bike I'd still feel the same. Love riding like most of you guys.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Yeah you'd be fine dude. I've done 3+ hours on a bike. Not exactly the most comfortable thing but its not horrible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How far do you ride?