Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How does this look?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How does this look?

There have been several studies done on this and the bottom line is that drivers eyes are accustomed and "looking for" a certain size. so the spatial issue is the biggest problem we have and what causes them to see right through us and on to whatever is behind us. you could paint the entire bike dayglo and it still wouldn't solve it. i have a silver bike too and added a couple of police type reflective strips on my mirrors because it can't hurt but honestly the only things they listed in the study that make any real difference is adding those huge harley type lights that are spread apart and have a bunch of distance between'em and as a 2nd option to help (and more realistic option for us sportsbike types) is the headlight modulators that constantly increase and decrease the brightness of the bulbs.

p.s. gaudy/tacky color helmets/jackets don't hurt either for daytime.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, it looks kinda weird. If you're doing it for visibility, I suppose it's better than nothing =) You could put reflective rim stripes on your wheels. That ought to help.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:58 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of thought it looked pretty sweet.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:23 AM

here ya go

http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php

Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 AM

Let us know how it works out for ya. If It helps I might do the same. I have a silver bike also and had to swerve around a F-150 on my front tire, stunter style. And I'm no stunter! Saw them in the parking lot and they never even hesitated befor pulling right out in front of me. I always ride like Im invisible but sometimes thats just not enough I guess......

Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Banned

it might help....isnt very big....I always ride with my brights on during the day for that reason...but I also have a yellow bike, yellow jacket, and yellow helmet...so.....
Ditto that.

A brightly colored helmet and jacket is what I think is the best.
The little piece on that fairing looks kinda goofy, sorry. What color is your helmet? I read somewhere too, or maybe it was in MSF that a bright helmet is the best. I have seen guys with reflective strips on their jackets too. Headlight modulators are great too, but are they legal in 50 states? Maybe a mini-strobe would be legal.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM

It looks like your bike has a big indian dot on its forehead...

Old 05-18-2007, 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze

There have been several studies done on this and the bottom line is that drivers eyes are accustomed and "looking for" a certain size. so the spatial issue is the biggest problem we have and what causes them to see right through us and on to whatever is behind us. you could paint the entire bike dayglo and it still wouldn't solve it. i have a silver bike too and added a couple of police type reflective strips on my mirrors because it can't hurt but honestly the only things they listed in the study that make any real difference is adding those huge harley type lights that are spread apart and have a bunch of distance between'em and as a 2nd option to help (and more realistic option for us sportsbike types) is the headlight modulators that constantly increase and decrease the brightness of the bulbs.

p.s. gaudy/tacky color helmets/jackets don't hurt either for daytime.

I'd have to agree with all of that. With my other bike which was blue/black never once had a problem with visibility. Now it seems that I'm just outright invisible. I always ride like I am invisible and plan a way out, but this is rediculous. 2 times last week alone and several times before hand too.
I'm thinking that black, silver and maybe even white colored bikes tend to blend into the background more. But it certainly has to do with a smaller profile too.
My helmet is a Shoei X-11kagayama in silver with white stripes, so it's not bright either.The gear I wear isall black leathers.
It is a small spot, but I'll see how it works out. I can always peel it off later.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:50 PM

Trust me I have a giant yellow sticker from Honda all over my bike and people don't see me at all.
Name:  PIC002resize.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  76.5 KB

Old 05-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Yellow and silver dont mix. [sm=badidea.gif]