Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How do you pass another motorcycle...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you pass another motorcycle...

this is a bit random i know but i was out riding today for a bit and i got to a point where i needed to pass a few vehicles... to get back a bit faster...

Now the road i was on is a 2 lane road, one going north, one going south... it has the double yellow lines and the single solid plus single/striped when getting ready to pass...

so i get up behind a harley now... and i think to my self... there was more than enough space to pass him on the right of him, BUT last thing i wanted to do was to startle him and have him veer into oncoming traffic. but then also i dont want him to speed up and not let me back in even if i do pass when its with in means on the left...

what really is the safest way to pass another motorcyclist that you are not with?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

safest is to wait for a passing zone (dotted yellow line on your side) n over power em

never meet a harley that could accelerate with my bike either

Old 08-07-2010, 01:51 PM

If I feel anything can cause me danger in any situation without a doubt ill pass them as fast as possible. Make sure its safe and if you can kind of get it were they can see you in there mirrors. After that have at it.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:10 PM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
safest is to wait for a passing zone (dotted yellow line on your side) n over power em

never meet a harley that could accelerate with my bike either
+1

Old 08-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally I flash my highbeam and hard rev the engine till they look back. Most times they get the idea and move to the right.

If they won't move (or do something d!ckwadish like move to the center of the lane), I wait patiently for a passing zone / intersection while fantasizing of smacking their killswitch when I pass them

Old 08-07-2010, 03:46 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Just never pass them in the same lane. I was riding down the highway doing about 75 and a group of about 10 bikes passed me doing at least 90 I would guess and 2 of them passed me IN MY LANE. scared the bejesus out of me cause I was not expecting it. I wanted to hit them on the back of the head and ask them what the hell were they thinking.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Just never pass them in the same lane.
I'm obviously no expert, but I pass a bike the same way I pass a car. I'll never pass in the same lane and I'll never pass on the right (unless it's someone in my group type of situation and they know that I'm there).

On one of my first rides, on a four lane road in town (so two lanes going the direction I was going) I was in the outside lane, no other traffic to be seen, and some douche on a Harley passed me on the right, just between me and the curb. Scared me AND ticked me off, just seems really rude. I tend to wander around in my lane so he was actually really lucky I stayed to the other side and he didn't hit me, I always worry that's what someone else would do.

Last edited by thatsarachik; 08-07-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Boy this brought up a few memories. bubbling along & having the sh*t scared out of you as another bike goes past. I even had it happen a few times when I'm in the process of passing another vehicle & another bike passes me at the same time!
I feel sorry for some car drives when I'm on a club ride & 20 or more bikes go past overtaking & a look in the mirror tells him there are 20 or so more to go.
When I pass another bike/car/truck, I like to put myself in a spot where if he looked, he'd see me in the mirrors. And that little button/lever just above the light switch, with "Passing" written under it, a couple of jabs of it are just perfect for giving the guy in front a heads up. But another thing I've noticed about overtaking another bike, 99% of the time, they end up about 3 inches from you're rear wheel with that "Alright smart ****, lets see what you can do" attitude.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heh try having 5 kids on dirtbikes, 3 doing wheelies pass by you in the only lane. One kid was rather impressive, matching speed with me on his wheelie...

*sigh* if only I had a broom handle at the time. His front tire was whispering "Jam me... Jaaaaaam meeeeee"

Ok, I had a bad week

Quick Reply: How do you pass another motorcycle...