Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How do you load motorcycles in pick-ups with small ramps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you load motorcycles in pick-ups with small ramps?

Hey guys, I've been searching for some motorcycle ramps lately and I was looking at the black widow ramps that are huge and are basically the width of the entire bed but I see a ton of people using these real skinny ones. How do you load the bike into the truck with those ramps if you don't want to ride it up? If you were walking next to the ramp then the bike would get too high too hold onto anymore so do you try to stabilize the bike and jump into the back of the truck? And how would you get it out too? I don't get it.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

basically you need like 2-3 people atleast. 2 on the sides and one in the bed to help steer and stabalize the bike. and you unload the same way.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 PM

If you only have yourself, one ramp will work, but it is more dangerous as already pointed out. You will need a 2x6, or other large board that can hold your weight, lay it down next to the ramp and walk up the board as the bike is walked up the ramp. This of course only works if the truck is not really high. If your truck is high, find a ditch and back your truck into it to make the rear of the truck lower to the ground. This makes the incline of the ramp less and easier to load. Even backing up to a curb that is only 5-6 inches will help a lot.

Or, buy two ramps, one for the bike, one for you to walk up.

How high is your truck?

Oh, yeah.. Invest in a Canyon Dancer.. they are fairly cheap and make tying down your bike simple and safe.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

use a hill

Old 08-24-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
use a hill
I live in Florida so hills are somewhat hard to find but I'll look. I have an F-150 but it does have a 2" level kit in the back so it sits lower. I do have a wheel choke permantently mounted in my bed so I can strap it down myself. I had borrowed my buddies wide ramp a few times that i could walk up as I pushed it up but it wasn't long enough so my bike would scrap or get stuck at the top. I had to get a huge running start. lol

I guess I'll fork out the money for a ramp or get a trailer.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 AM

I get my 05 600RR up on the back of my Toyota Tacoma by myself using a standard 1' wide ramp.... normally I'll find a hill, which will make the step up onto the truck a lot easier.... but you said your in florida, so no hills. If there isn't a hill nearby, I use one of the 'islands' in a parking lot, you know that either have grass or a concrete pad, the 6" of step up onto the island helps out a lot when stepping up on the truck, just back your truck up to an island, put the ramp down, put the bike in gear and let it pull itself up the ramp, when you get it up as far as you can go, hold in the clutch, hold the front brake and step up on to the truck (which is the tricky part) then just guide the bike up the rest of the way, has worked everytime so far

I actually loaded my YZ125 into my truck this morning by myself in a flat parking lot.... when i pushed it up as far as I could go, I turned the bars away from myself while holding the front brake, which allowed the bike to be lower a little, stepped up and pushed it the rest of the way in, and dirtbike handlebars are a lot taller than street bikes

also going from flat ground, having someone there with you is a lot easier, just push it up as far as you can go, let them hold the front brake and balance the bike, then when your up in the truck, push it the rest of the way in.... good luck.

oh yea, and im a little guy (not much strength) 5'-10" 143#'s

Old 08-25-2009, 04:02 PM
July 2008 ROTM

A longer ramp and a tail gate step-up will help this situation ten fold.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I dont advise it but with skinny ramps i walk up one and bike on the other. I can do it alone, i just keep the bike running and let it power itself up, just gotta be gentle with the clutch. Down just requires a lot more muscle.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 PM

make a ramp for your ramp. stack a2x6 on another 2x6 and bevel the end. set it under the ramp

Quick Reply: How do you load motorcycles in pick-ups with small ramps?