Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How do i winterize my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i winterize my bike?

Should i add a gas preservative and run it through the carbs or drain the tank and run the carbs out of gas? How do i check the coolant in my radiator to make sure it doesnt freeze?

Old 10-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Default RE: How do i winterize my bike?

This is a great question? Does anyone know how or what to do?
Also I keep mine in a heated garage. Do I still need to winterize.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:07 PM

Fill the tank and use a stabilizer. Run bike to get it in to the carbs and top off the tank again. Yes, check the antifreeze, what if it isn't strong enough? OUCH$. Remove battery and place on rack to be charged, if you don't have a battery tender. Fill tires to proper air pressure, change oil and lube everything. All this takes place after a good washing, riding the bike at least 10miles to get everything dried out and a good waxing. Hopefully you have inside storage. Cover with a sheet(breathable) and wait for the next riding season.

Mine is in a heated garage as well. One thing about the bike being warm though, it will possibly evaporate it's fuel quicker if at all and if there is any moisture it will rust quicker. Nothing really rusts when it is frozen. Being warm though, I can tinker on the bike all winter. DO NOT start the bike until you are ready to ride it at least 10 miles. There is NO value in placing combustion moisture and acids into a clean motor.

I have 3 bikes. I usually wash them very well and do what I said in paragraph 1. Then spend all winter waxing and polishing them.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:53 PM

Fuel stabilizers are a good thing to use as you want to keep your fuel tank full to avoid condensation building on the interior of the tank. Moisture in the tank can cause rust. When it's time to bring the bike back to riding status, I would drain the fuel and stabilizer because it can gum up the works.

I live in California and can ride most of the year, but there's a period when the leaves are dropping from trees and it begins to rain. Riding on the wet leaves is like riding on gorilla snot, very slippery. I'd love a recommendation for a good battery tender.

Any ideas?

Old 10-23-2006, 03:28 PM

There is also the option of just not doing it. If you can bear the cold, ride the bike for 10-15 min every couple weeks and everything will be fine. I've only had my bike for a couple winters, but my friends do this (many winters) and so i have too and we havent had any problems.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Retired Moderator

I think I am going to ride every so often so I won't have to worry about winterizing. However, I had a guy tell me to run the tank bone dry to store it. Has anyone heard of this? What would be the benefit/consequence?

Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM

The reasoning for filling up the tank to the top is so that there isn't any exposed metal inside to rust. As I'm sure you can probably understand rust in your gas is bad.

Mike

Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 PM

If you drain the tank you should find a way to be able to wipe it down on the inside, also.

If you do the non-winterize method, dont wimp and and just start it and let it run for a while, it doesnt do the same thing. It needs to be under load for a good 15-20 min. Atleast that is what i was told.