Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Honda Sport Bike Carry Capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Sport Bike Carry Capacity?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I had a question that I have been having a hard time finding non-biased (dealer, specific model enthusiast, etc.)

I am a really big guy, about 6'10" and close to 500 or so pounds. Before you go "holy ****!" and give a knee-jerk response, consider that number as maybe a payload, or perhaps 2 250 pound people.

While I know that most Honda cruisers (shadow, sabre, spirit, vtx, etc.) with a suspension upgrade would have no problem holding me (if i can ride my GF's Honda GY6 scooter around the block, over bumps, at around 40 mph with 12 hp without snapping it in half i know it can be done!) I am finding affordably priced Honda cruisers even as cheap as they are (shockingly so compared to companies like hd) very, very hard to find.

I am mechanically inclined, and would have no problem rebuilding a mid nineties model down on its luck, but i just cant find anything. However, I see cheap Honda sport model bikes ALL over the place! The VFR750F, other Interceptor models, the list goes on, all for VERY good prices (bear in mind even if they have problems I have no problem fixing them).

The question is, can Honda sport model bikes like the Interceptor series and others have their shocks upgraded to carry that kind of capacity, and can the frames take it? I think for what the frames do (and the punishment honda designs them for), they should be fine, and im not worried about off the line speed or losing performance because of my weight. I am in the market looking for a motorcycle because of their efficieny and Honda's reliablity. What with gas prices they today and my rapidly fluctuating job situation. (i am often unemployed).

So i need to find something that can do this for me.

Can honda help me out?

Thanks

J.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Honda Sport Bike Carry Capacity?

well don't get offended but it usually is not a good idea for someone to weigh more than the bike or machine. i think i the owners manual on a bike like your talking about the payload should not exceed like 350lbs. you should be able to google the exact bike you waunt w/their specs.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy Shyt!!! lol j/k well sorta. But yea one should be able to be fitted with a shock/spring combo and revamp the internals in the forks for your weight.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 PM

Intercepter rider here. But I'm pea sized. Its a great bike but could tell ya what he payload is. Go to vfrdiscussion.com and they'll know.

I ride an '01 800 and love it. The guys use a honda 929 rear shock (I think) but just for the added oil resevoir and adjustability. Guessing not for added weight. You can buy a stiffer coil spring for the rear shock and upgrade the springs in the front forks (costly). Your best bet is to stick with a cruiser.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:53 PM

Also no offence but sportbikes are designed to be narrow. 2/3s of you will probably be hanging off the sides. Its like 3 and a half of me riding on a sportbike. I know me and someone else on my bike is cramped. Can't imagine me, someone else, someone else, and a half of someone else on my bike at the same time.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:58 PM

He's 6' 10" so I'm guessing he not that wide.

The site I got this pic off of said the dude is 6' 10" and 300+ lbs.

http://picasaweb.google.com/wahlyzpi...46330296154274

Old 07-04-2008, 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Also no offence but sportbikes are designed to be narrow. 2/3s of you will probably be hanging off the sides. Its like 3 and a half of me riding on a sportbike. I know me and someone else on my bike is cramped. Can't imagine me, someone else, someone else, and a half of someone else on my bike at the same time.

Dang nauree, your the guy saying this kid cant play ball cause of his condition.

http://www.heraldleaderphoto.com/200...1/adam-bender/

Old 07-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Blackbird damn well has the load capability but I suggest a serious suspension upgrade

http://www.le-suspension.com/catalog/

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.p...amp;link3d=yes

Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the blackbird.... stocky and reasonably powerful that will hold your weight. Just worried of the stability....

Old 07-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Just wondering if stretched and slammed with the fat tire conversion. The 240-55-17 may put the center of gravity of the bike back somewhere close to where it should be and distribute the weight more evenly. Let's face it, you're not going to be dragging a knee now are you

Quick Reply: Honda Sport Bike Carry Capacity?