Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Homes Theatre Systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homes Theatre Systems

Hey guys, I'm starting to get sick of my little 8in home theatre subwoofer. Just doesn't hit hard as i'd like it to. I was curious what everyone else has or is currently using. I've been looking at the MTX's and the POWERBASS home theatre subs. So if you could let me know what you're using and your opinion on it that would be great.
Thanks

Old 08-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Default RE: Homes Theatre Systems

whatever you do, don't get Bose ! haha

I use some stuff i've collected over the years... so don't know the skinny on the new stuff. I like lots of sound.

MTX's sound good.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16258/8185D0B4C1194A158A868B7EB6F00F03.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Retired Moderator

You need to ask Foxy (Blue Fox)...he knows his ****...

Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 PM

if home theater is anything like car audio then it's not really how big your sub is, its how much power your amp can give it.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 PM

I used to own Yamaha gear in the 90's and it was great. Is it still?

I like the look of Bose for its' simplicity but I remember a thread on this a few months ago where Bose was ripped!

What provides the best bang for the buck?

Old 08-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, have I LONGED for this topic to come up again........*cracks knuckles*

Sound is 60-70% of a movie. Without good sound, you just aren't "experiencing" the movie the way it was supposed to. That's why going to the movie theaters was always SO much better than watching it at home, because the sound made you feel like you were there......

Now, with that being said, you asked about subwoofers.....and I'll let you in on a little secret......

BOSE blows.
JBL is for pussies.
HARMON/KARDON glitches like hell.
YAMAHA should stick to making bikes and receivers.
KLH is a flipping joke.
etc. etc.

KLIPSCH.......now THAT is a speaker company that knows what the hell the customer wants. Great sound without raping your wallet.

Now, if you already have a good set of speakers, you can go ahead and get either a 10" 450-watt BASH amplified Klipsch Subwoofer ($399 at Best Buy) or get the INSANE 12" 620-watt BASH amplified Subwoofer ($499 at Best Buy).....and go into shock every-time your heart stops beating when you play a DVD.

I do recommend getting an entire new system (the best bang for the buck.) Right now, Best Buy (I'm a HT Tech there while in College) Is the Klipsch Quintet III system. It consists of 5 speakers (Quintet speaker system), and also comes with the 10" Klipsch sub and a Yamaha RX-V461 receiver....Normally, the entire system costs about $1300 bucks, but it's on sale, and packages out at $899.99. All you need after that is a Monster 600-series Sub Cable and speaker wire (I recommend Monster twisted-pair CL3-rated in-wall wiring.)

THIS is the same system I have in my house. We just finished watching Disturbia on HD-DVD (yes, I get hook-ups from Hollywood video......friend works there.) And we got it before release......and MAN did it sound absolutely INCREDIBLE. The walls shake, glasses in the kitchen rattle, and the upstairs floor feels like it's going to cave in. YES, it's THAT good of a system. (mainly the subwoofer, but the clarity of the speakers combined with a kick-*** receiver.....combined with that sub really makes you NEVER want to watch a movie at a theater again.)

My system sounds 100 times better than any theater (aside from a THX-Klipsch Equipped iMax theater.).......in which case makes your hair stand on end.

If you have any questions man, hit me up. I do this for a living 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:18 AM

Klipsh
B&W
Denon
Infinity

I paid 300$ for my Denon receiver and another 300$ for my infinity 5.1 speaker system with sub and for my room it does its job, enough that even at low levels you can hear it and feel it downstairs.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:22 AM

Oh and no offense because i used to sell this **** too (and a friend of mine still does) but theres a huge difference between selling this stuff and actually being an audiophile.

Bose DOES NOT suck, not even close, maybe not set up properly it might (which in most stores, there not).

KEF is also very good for the money, you can actually spend so much money you'd wonder where you spent it all. It really all comes down to how much you want out of it.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:45 AM

ok ive never thought of this but i use a car audio sub(memphis car audio)in my house "cause all tha stuff is free" and ive always thought its sounded great but i wonder if the construction of a car sub and house sub differ? i know the power handeling is diff but would it work for an audiophile?

Old 08-04-2007, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

JBL is for pussies.
Hey now !! Couple years ago (prob 7-8) i did a ton of research on speakers when i was starting out and ended up with a 15in JBL setup. It doesn't hit as hard as the 18in Peavey sub, but it sounds much cleaner ! I don't know about their newer products though, but back in the day JBL had some very nice sound !!

And for big speakers, you NEED big amps to make them sound good.

Oh yea one last thing on sound. You want to spend money on good wiring, it makes a difference when you start getting into amplified sound. Wiring up a 1000w sub on some tiny guage wire is not good.

Yes you can see my riding sandals in the pic, don't hate ! jk

[IMG]local://upfiles/16258/3D30E1B05DEB4C778946D84D127E59B5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16258/E697B9AF9D184A6493C3BF3063139345.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Homes Theatre Systems