Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Home Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Home Audio

Got a 7.1... well 7.2 really i have 7 speakers and 2 subwoofers... but i need to change out my surronds... they are a little old and i want better... by any change anyone got anything good .... smaller cube speakers is what i am looking for... and maybe a new center channel... maybe another sub if good deal... if anyone got anything good let me know....

Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Home Audio

Look up Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers. If you can go to a high-end home audio shop listen to some of these. The most transparent imaging and deep soundstage of anything you'll hear. Also very expensive. How expensive? Some of the nicer ones are 10k a speaker. You can get a center channel for 1k, 3k for the mains, and 1k for the surrounds if you go cheaper in the lineup. So, around 5k for the speakers.

Then you have to buy a nice line amp (tube or solid state) and discreet encoder preamp. Add to that SACD or a BluRay vs. HD DVD and a nice large Sony SXRD TV or Samsung DLP 61 inch screen, and you've got more invested in your system than 2 new CBRs!!

Fun.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

haha well thanks for the input but this for my bedrooom... not my living room so i am not that baller enough to have 10k system in my bedroom.. not in 07... maybe 08... haha ... anyone got anything

Old 05-30-2007, 09:24 PM

i picked up a yamaha set up last x-mas and it rocks pretty good and i push it often. there are small speakers but get the job done!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Banned

i c... ya yamaha is alright, i been looking on ebay for some bose speakers and center channel... not a huge fan of bose but they are good for a room

Old 05-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Retired Moderator

So, can I sound like an idiot for a moment (what's new)...the number before the decimal point implies how many main speakers you have, and the number after the decimal point implies the subs you have? If that is the case, and you guys are running 7.2...I am a loser with my silly 5.1. Oh the huge manatee!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:17 AM

hmm i'm too ghetto for official surround. I still do it gangsta. 2amps, reciever, mixer, computer, tons of speakers. lol

Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Banned

yep i have 7 speakers and 2 sub woofers

Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Retired Moderator

I'm a Home Theater Tech, and please, don't waste your money on Bose........they are garbage.

I would pop into Best Buy and see if they're still running their promotion for the Klipsch Quintet III Package. Those are KICK *** speakers with a subwoofer that (no offense) will make both your subs sound like tin cans.

The system includes 5 Quintet III speakers (4 speakers and 1 center channel), 1 10-inch, 420-watt Klipsch Subwoofer with a BASH amplifier, and a Yamaha RX-V461 A/V Receiver.........The package is going for $899 (which normally, the system is well worth over $1300.00)

If you only need a couple of speakers, I would also recommend Klipsch. You can get a set of rear surrounds (S-1 or S-2) or even replace your front speakers with bookshelf speakers (B-2 or B-3).

But here's the kicker........do you have a 7.1 capable receiver? If not, then having 7 speakers really doesn't do anything (especially in a bedroom). You would be better off with a true and matched 5.1 system with high quality speakers and sub, than 7 mis-matched speakers and split-signal subwoofers.

That would be my recommendation as a professional Home Theater consultant.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:31 PM

yea go to best buy and look arond but dont buy them there you can get it cheaper somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Home Audio