Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Hit and Attempt to run

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit and Attempt to run

Today I was driving down the center of town in Frederick, MD and i had my turn signal on to make a right turn. There were 2 lanes, the left lane turns left (go figure), and right lane goes straight or right. I signal to turn right, and it turns out about a half a second before i start my right turn, this a$$ in a minivan clips my left mirror, and hauls it through the intersection.

I was startled and shocked at first, and i checked my mirror which was still on, so i started after the guy beeping my horn, and pointing for him to pull over, because I don't think hit and runs are cool. The guy finally pulls over after about a minute of me laying on the horn, and he proceedes to exit his minivan, and attempt to start a fight with me. I told him he clipped my mirror, and i would contact the police if he threatened me any further. The guy says that i wasn't turning, and that he had the right of way.....I am still confused at this, because if i was in the right lane......which i was...and if i wasn't turning, that lane would have been mine....hell...even if i was turning (which I was )....the lane was still mine. I guess this guy didn't think a motorcycle classified as a vehicle. I took down his plate and found a cop about a mile down the road after him and his wife raced out of there.

Turns out that cars CAN run you off the road, and even if you have their license plate # and a snapshot of their vehicle on your cell phone, it doesn't matter. No damage was done to my bike, so it was no foul. I could only have the cops do something if A) my bike was damaged or B) I was injured and the guy fled the scene like he did.

How do you like that. I almost get my leg ripped off from this guy cutting too close, then he attempts to fight me, and thehe flees the scene. You gotta love the laws.....or lack there of supporting motorcyclists.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Default RE: Hit and Attempt to run

So he clipped your mirror and hauled it through the intersection but no damage was done to your bike?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

This type of thing happened to me once. I was soooooo fackin pissed. Mine was a guy merging on the freeway, traffic was at a crawl, less than 5mph. He bumped me from behind, hitting my exhaust, because I wouldnt let him merge in front of me. I had already allowed two other cars tomerge in front of me.

Needless to say this created a serious rage inside of me. After he bumped me he just threw his hands up and pointed at me like I did something wrong. I then put my side stand down and walked to his window. I was going to pull him out of his mini-van, but he got his doors locked and his window rolled up before I got to him. Now this type of thing has not stopped me before, I have gone through windows in the past, but he had a kid in the back seat who had the fear of god in his eyes. So I asked him to pull to the side of the road.

The trooper basically told me the same thing the officer told you. Unless there was damage done, therewas nothing he could do. I started to get pretty upset again when the officer was explaining this to me. The police officer then told me that the other guy wanted to press harrasement charges against me, and he had talked him out of it. He then told me if I kept expressing my frustration with him, he was going to pursue the harrasment charge and put me in jail.

Its really ****ed up how someone can basically hit you with their vehicle and get away with it! Next time something like this happens, someones losing a window or a mirror.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 PM

Yikes . Glad you and the little gal are okay. Thats why your always better putting the law into your own hands I joke I joke.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 PM

sue because you were afraid that your life was in immediate danger. you can probably (easily) win that.

it's the american way.

glad you're ok!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand that your more than slightly peeved I have a tendancy to go ape **** when something like that happens. The confrontation with this guy & lack of interest by the police would not have helped. But to be fair on the copper, even with the details & photo of the number plate, as there was zero damage to the bike, then its just your word against the other guy, a lot of paper work for bugger all result. Consider the guy warned though, he now knows that he has to be carefull in the future or be confronted by another angry biker. So take some consolation in the fact that you put the wind up him.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That happened to me once on the freeway. I was cruzin along in the left lane and I checked m mirrors I see this a suburban that is REALLY moving and about to hit me. I had just enough time to start moving over in my lane before the a$$ hit my mirror. They took off down the freeway and I just kinda kept going in a state of shock that was... "did that just really happen?"

Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 AM

Next time this happens to me. I am waiting till the guy leaves, I will Cuck Norris my mirror off, and call the cops 911 style. That way it WILL be a hit and run and the MF won't get away with it.

I am not so pissed that he clipped my mirror, (there was no damage to it) as I am in that my mirror is about 6" further out than my leg, and he could have easily injured me horribly.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:46 AM

I understand the frustration completely, but with NO damage there is no evidence that the guy did anything wrong. Is the cop supposed to read your minds to know someone was lying?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:49 AM

How many motorcyclists go LOOKING for cops. That should be the first way to tell that I was being honest. =]

Quick Reply: Hit and Attempt to run