Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

highbeam question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: highbeam question....

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

all the dumbasses out there who say "hey you have a head light out!"
i've had my bike for going on 4 weeks and i've gotten that every time i leave a store, lol. its getting annoying haha. i just flip the switch and they go ".....oh" haha. yeah, i think i'll stick to low beam day and night. night time just high's when necessary. just thought i'd see where everyone stood on that.

thanks for all the replies!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think in the old days, the high beam and low beam were separate. ie two independent filaments and only one would be on at a time. The theory was, run your high beam during the day when you do most of your driving and use your low beam at night. If a filament is gonna burn out first, it will be the high beam and then you can still ride at night (and day)safely without blinding anyone.

High beams on at night are a hazard and should be used when they don't bother other drivers. I have been known to give the biker behind me a little 'brake check' behind me when I am in my car if he tailgates and his highbeam bothers me.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ALWAYS run my high beams during the day...ALWAYS!! You're not gonna blind people during the daytime. Anything that helps you be seen and draws attention to you to let people know you're there is always a good thing. Now at night I switch to low beams, because nighttime the highbeams will blind oncoming traffic, which causes target fixation and they'll run right into you. I have HID's on my bike too which are pretty bright, so if I run the high beams at night it'll blind everybody, hahah. Daytime though, have no shame in leaving the high beams on. If cars don't like it, well then maybe they should get off the damn phone and look where the *** they're going, so we don't have to try and draw extra attention to ourselves

Old 05-13-2007, 05:58 PM

Always have them on during the day...itwas even on the written motorcycle test here....says to leave them on....at night...sometimes I do sometimes I dont.....

Old 05-13-2007, 07:34 PM

Ya know i could give a **** about oncoming traffic and target fixation.,..i choose to be seen...if my bright light hurts their little eyes..good..that means they see me..and when is the last time u had a &^^% Land Rover behind u with every kinda light known to man kind on the thing...right behind u...driving defensively is just that...being defensive..after being nearly run over and swerved at and tailgated to the point of fear for my life..i dont give rats *** about people in their 4000 lb cars with seat belts...***** EM..thas offensiely defensive..thats how i ride...LOL

Old 05-14-2007, 01:36 AM

Yup, i drive with the highs on all the time. Main reason to be seen, second it looks better with 2 lights on and i dont get ppl telling me i have a light burned out

Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 PM

I run the high beams 99% of the time. I get flashed once in a while in the morning on my way to work but not that often. The only time that I do not run the high beams is when it is foggy or heavy rain.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRFREEK

Ya know i could give a **** about oncoming traffic and target fixation.
Maby you don't understand target fixation. You know how you "look through a turn" And the whole "bike goes where you look" or "look where you want to be" thing? It's the same in a car. If your bright *** lights are all that they can see.... they'll head right for you! Now if you angeld (sp) your bright down so it wasn't in their eye's but still gave you a little more "see me" light, then thats cool. But think about driving at night, around a turn on a back road in your cage, Car comming the other way has it's bights on and now....YOUR BLIND! Same thing with our brights to a cage. It may just be one... but it's BRIGHT! it will blind them. Now during the day.. your call, but @ night.. just flash it when you need to and leave the dims on around other traffic.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: bornluckee13

ORIGINAL: CBRFREEK

Ya know i could give a **** about oncoming traffic and target fixation.
Maby you don't understand target fixation. You know how you "look through a turn" And the whole "bike goes where you look" or "look where you want to be" thing? It's the same in a car. If your bright *** lights are all that they can see.... they'll head right for you! Now if you angeld (sp) your bright down so it wasn't in their eye's but still gave you a little more "see me" light, then thats cool. But think about driving at night, around a turn on a back road in your cage, Car comming the other way has it's bights on and now....YOUR BLIND! Same thing with our brights to a cage. It may just be one... but it's BRIGHT! it will blind them. Now during the day.. your call, but @ night.. just flash it when you need to and leave the dims on around other traffic.
yep [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 PM

OWWCH..talk about singling someone one out...you must be the method behind the madness..BLOW ME!!!!!!

Maby you don't understand target fixation. You know how you "look through a turn" And the whole "bike goes where you look" or "look where you want to be"
And thats Maybe...

Quick Reply: highbeam question....