Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

high beams or low beams

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominate.
Do people seriously get that pissed off when you ride with hi beams on? I mean personally, I don't mind when I see another bike with HIs on (when I'm in my cage) nor do I really mind when those ricers have those cheap HIDs with no cut off line. Sure, it's kind of annoying but it only takes a couple seconds for them to pass you and it's not like it's a flashbang or anything, you can still see. I've also never seen anyone else get pissed at blinding lights either. I ride with HIs on all the time and I've never had anyone get pissed at me =/ maybe it's just the area that I live in lol.

But definitely, Hi beams on all the time during the day. I love it when I'm cruising down Pacific Coast Highway and I see this tiny bright light in the distance. Then I know that a fellow rider is coming down my way and I can get ready to wave It definitely helps you get noticed a lot easier.
i agree with that for the most part, only one time have i ever became disgruntled because of hid lights and that was when a truck with them was behind me when a group of us were headed out to a spot. i was in my camaro so of course the light flooded into my car, i had to drive about 25 miles with him behind me, i had to adjust all of my mirrors so that they werent aimed at me , and i still had a huge headache when we got to the destination

Old 05-19-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by irocthestreet
i agree with that for the most part, only one time have i ever became disgruntled because of hid lights and that was when a truck with them was behind me when a group of us were headed out to a spot. i was in my camaro so of course the light flooded into my car, i had to drive about 25 miles with him behind me, i had to adjust all of my mirrors so that they werent aimed at me , and i still had a huge headache when we got to the destination
Why not pull over and let him pass?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Seriously people, do NOT ride with your high beams on at night! Not around cars - if there's oncoming traffic, turn it off.

I don't care if you think you get noticed better - the fact of the matter is your headlight is going directly into the vision of that driver coming at you. What happens when they're temporarily blinded and don't see the bicycle that crossed in front of their path? Or they didn't realize they changed their direction and are now driving directly at YOU?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by alottaboost
Why not pull over and let him pass?
because there were about 30 other cars behind him and that would of ment sitting there and waiting for them all to pass

Old 05-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

we just had this debate on a local forum not long ago. Some interesting facts came to light. It is actually bad to run you brights all the time. Reason being is other motorist then will have a hard time judging how close and fast you are approaching.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irocthestreet
thats what tinted windows are for lol.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Highs in the day, lows at night.

Seriously, your lights bounce around enough that at night, they still get attention. Riding with highs on just blinds people, pisses them off, and is more dangerous for everyone.

I don't care if it's a car or a bike, if you have your high beams on, you get one courtesy reminder flick of my brights, then a second to fix it. After that, I turn my brights on until the other driver turns his off or passes. This accomplishes both letting me see a little better in the face of being blinded, and showing the other driver how damned annoying it is. It also makes me feel a little better.

Also, if I'm around the city where brights shouldn't be on in cars much to begin with, and it's particularly bright and annoying, they get a long honk, too.

Inconsiderate ****** with brights on all the time and cheap HIDs without cutoffs make me want to kill them.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM

high all the time. but my high is pointed down a lil so not in drivers eyes.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Highs all day, then switching them on and off at night to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Cmon guys, seriously? You get noticed more? Lol, I'm pretty sure they notice the lowbeams, and how is it ever a good idea to blind oncoming traffic? It's not like you can see chit anyways at night when a car is passing you heading the other way, your mostly blinded by their lights and can't see that far ahead regardless so it's not like it matters at that moment whether your brights are on or not.
I may or may not get noticed more, but I get a warm fuzzy when I feel people know I'm on the road. (By the way, 929 low beams SUCK, so highs are actually a good bit more noticeable in the day time).

Quick Reply: high beams or low beams