Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

HID's definite....now what temp?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's definite....now what temp?

on getting ready to order HID's for my F4i, i have PMed BlueFox because he's the expert, but wondering what you guys thoughts are, im deciding between the 10,000k and the 8000k i want the really blue look, and i dont drive ALOT at night so im leaning toward 10,000k, but i dont want to sacrifice too much light output or color. i know 5-6000k is max visibility but i want a real blue color.

two more questions for F4i guys, is it a H7 bulb that i need? and where have you guys been mounting your ballasts on the f4i?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HID's definite....now what temp?

I have an 8000K and its really blue. I think you would be satisfied with it, 10000K is a bit over board with the blue.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Registered Users

i would do the 8000, if you are only thinking between the 8k and 10k.....you don't want to sacrifice TOO much light and 10k is pretty far off the optimal, you'd probably be getting close to the same visible light as halogens and you really should try to get at least SOME better light output with the HIDs....as for the H7 I am 95% sure they are H7s....i don't know about the ballast as I have held off on this mod because i am going to retrofit projectors into mine at some point.....

either way let us know how goes it!

oh yeah....buuuuuuuuuuuuudy!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 AM

I put my ballast under the right access cover, fits perfect.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

I have an 8000K and its really blue. I think you would be satisfied with it, 10000K is a bit over board with the blue.

man thats bright! wow. ill probably go with the 8000k then, looks good to me its fairly blue. i wonder what the dropoff would be to go to 10,000k. anyone have a pic of their bike with the 10KKs? im sure bluefox is gonna tell me to go 8000k too.

now if someone could just confirm the H7 is the right bulb ill order this stuff up!.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Ya, for reals. Here is the Halogen that was in it before the HID.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I wouldn't go anything over 6000K. I've had both 6000K and 4300K and both look very nice. After 6000K you really start to compromise usable light output. 4300K has the highest (3200 lumens) and 6000K is a little lower (about 2800 lumens) and still has a nice color. I have the 4300K on mine right now and they look real nice and light up the road like it's daylight... I love 'em!

I mounted my ballasts around the rear subframe kinda under the seat/battery tray/gas tank. Trust me when I say buy the motorcycle kit.... it comes with much longer wiring harnesses (the car kits have a little short harness) which helps out ALOT when it comes to hiding the ballasts. I've had both and the regular kit was a nightmare to put in, plus I had to make my own wiring harnesses. I got mine from xenondepot.com and couldn't be happier. Very clean install and came ready with harnesses and relays and everything

Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 AM

well third gen put me over the edge to slide down to go with 8000k. him saying 6000k is what he would go with. im sure 8000k will be a nice compromise between light output and color. especially since i dont to a TON of night riding.

third gen, what is the correct bulb? H7?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 AM

where are you buying the kit from?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HID'

Yup H7 bulbs, and you have to get kinda creative to mount them in the headlight. The stock halogen bulbs have a little black connector that goes between the bulb terminals and the electrical plug in the harness. This also serves as a spacer, and the lock spring pushes against this black connector to hold the bulb tightly in place in the headlight housing. The H7 HID's don't have that plug, plus the wires are hardwired directly into the bulb, and without that spacer the lock spring won't even touch the bulb to hold it in place. Sooooo what I did was take a dremel with the little drilling tool and hollowed out the entire inside part of the black connector until it fit around the base of the HID bulb, and put a small slit in the side for the wires to slide in. Kinda hard to explain but you'll see what I mean when you get them. You've gotta be careful hollowing out the connector cuz you have to go really thin around the edges to make it fit, but it'll fit. Lots of trial and error. Then after I had it all on and snapped in place I just wrapped around the outer perimeter of the black connector with some electrical tape to cover up the slit in the side

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID's definite....now what temp?