Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

hey gun people

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey gun people

Alright i have seen a lot of post on here about guns. Deer hunting is the only kind of hunting i do and it's just for the cheap meat. I own a few rifles, but no pistols and was thinking about getting one. Not really sure what to get so i figured i would ask you folks about it. I was thing about just getting one to have around the house for protection mostly. Would probly go to the range on accasion, but at the moment i don't plan on making it a hobby. I thinking a semiauto that was small enough my girlfriend could shoot it without being to much of a pain.(just in case something happens), but something thats got good nockdown power. Also what kind of money am i talking about. Whats the good price for a pistol.

Anybody got some suggestions i would appriciate them

thanks

Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Default RE: hey gun people

Knockdown power from a handgunis a myth. Total incapacitation requires an extremely well-placed shot with a small projectile going very slow.
For HD only, nothing beats a 12 gage. Not because it doesn't require aiming (if you hunt, then you know shotguns must be aimed to hit the target whether you're using buck or slugs) but because they carry an incredible amount of energy with a single shot. At room distances, a magnum load of 00 buckshot will produce a pattern the size of a small grapefruit. Don't be fooled to thinking birdshot will be stopped by sheetrock either.

My personal choice for pistols is a Beretta .40 cal. loaded with Golden Saber JHP.
Please attend personal protection and practical shooting classes, same as we recommend for new riders. Your safety and the safety of those around you is important. HTH.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 PM

Sniper those dogs

Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 PM

ha i never thought of snipering an intruder i will make sure i call my spotter over when in intruder comes in and i can sniper his ****

Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 PM

lol, nice gun man, but my house is not that big. What's the military standard side arm there soldier.

Thanks jaggur, I got a twenty guage behind the door already(i forgot to mention that). I was thinking about the pistol as more of a extra "in case i cann't make it to the shot gun" close at hand type thing. Whats the .40 cal cost?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 PM

Thats not me btw

Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Juggernaut makes a very good point, unless you're very adapt at the double tap method or have spent hours becoming proficient with a handgun. It may not be the best choice. It is no secret that I am a 10 mm fan any one of the Smith & Wesson models would be great are the Glock model 20 or 29. If you want tocompromisesome on recall, the 40 is a great choice. If you have to have something in a 9 mm. This is the only one I can recommend I took this the other night while cleaning it LOL

BTW
Nauree
Was always glad to know when a Barrett had us covered it is a very good piece of hardware, very rugged

[IMG]local://upfiles/16045/75D71F441F7C4405A1E9AF149F2027DC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM

I'm going to disagree a bit and say that a single .40 cal hydra-shock to center mass will put someone down for good. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 PM

You have the 20 ga and know how to use it Im sure. A pistol is quite a bit different. Especially when you start talkin about knock down power. How much is enough? You say your home is not too big. Bullets can easily go through walls and end up some place you really dont want them. That might be something to think about. I would not expect an assailant to be armored and even if they were, getting hit still has a stunning effect. I could see a 9mm a very good choice. Ammo is really cheap too. Easy to shoot as well..40 Cal is nice. Iam with HARDCORP though, 10mm is where the power, energy and fps are. Thatload doesn't mess around. I think it is safe to say that when you purchase a gun, you get what you pay for(for the most part). Guns really dont lose value either. Whatever you get, make sure you know how to use it before you depend on it! Think of the worse case senerio... Dark, possibly half asleep, people freaking out, whatever!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:17 PM

I just bought a Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mil on saturday. Haven't shot it yet, but it has a comfortable grip and is light. It has a rail on the end so you can add a laser or light. I think you have to buy an adapter cause its bigger than standard size. I'm going to put a light on it so if Hamburglar comes in at night to try and molest me, I can show him what a 9 mil feels like up the butt.

I've shot two pistols (357 magnum, 9mil Glock), but this is my first one to own. I havent even bought ammo for it yet. I plan on going to a pistol range that is down the street and practice pratice pratice.

If you want a concealable pistol then get a Kel-tec. They have good reviews and are quality made from what I've read. They have a 9mil and small.

Here's my Smith
http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm

Here's kel-tec
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/products.html

http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec9mm.htm

Quick Reply: hey gun people