Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help me decide which laptop

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help me decide which laptop

to bluefox and nauree (and all others who despise dell) - What specific issues have you guys had with them, and what models? I have heard of some massive issues with certain Dell models, but I personally have never had any issues aside from a defective battery which they replaced the next day. I think a lot of people who use Dell's at work go through them "like water" primarily due to the users... I know at my work many people drop them, spill stuff on them, and just generally don't take care of their computers and then they wonder why the monitor doesn't work... All I can say is I have never had any real problems of my own - and I do heavy computing all day long, but from a programming side, not a gaming side. I have some friends who do heavy gaming and LOVE the XPS, and I think it's pretty sleek looking too...

I actually like fox's point - I would get a mac over any other computer out there right now if i was in the market, and just dual boot it.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:59 PM

LOL well I live only a few mins away from the Dell Edmonton call center. Which they just recently closed down. Those foriegn accents, where probley actual Canadains. Edmonton is the most culturaly diverse city in Canada.
But with Dell, at least you know that dell fixes it. Allot of other brands actually go through UPS (the shipping company) Which has a huge center in America that fixes them.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 PM

For the MacBook Pro, I'd be looking at over $3000 for the 2nd tier model with upgraded ram, warranty, windows, etc.

Looking to spend about $2000.

And also another question about the ASUS. On Newegg.com, they have the extended warranty through Newegg or the ASUS. I'm correct in saying that going with the extended through ASUS would be wiser, am I right?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:09 PM

I dont go with dell cuase everyone one I've worked on has had parts that are no name brands. Escpecially the motherboards. Only the most important part of a pc. So cheaply made and they butt rape you on price.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 PM

Ok, I'm looking more into the MacBook now. I see some people runnin VMFusion and XP on theirs with no problem. My only question is this. Would I be able to upgrade the ram myself on a MacBook?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:38 AM

macbook pro
pcs are a constant nitemare of driver updates, viruses, trojan horses, spyware, adware....
and then the os is terrible. vista is so bad everyone is using the previous one: windows xp

Old 10-01-2008, 02:19 AM

Id go with the Mac book, then you can look like a trendy, artsy **** in the coffee shop. But don't expect to play games. And if it's using windows, your still gonna get all the problems that come with windows.
I just realised, my last 3 PC's had an ASUS motherboard in them. I forgotten how awesome they are, and how well built. Id give the ASUS an other look.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Xx New Guy xX

to bluefox and nauree (and all others who despise dell) - What specific issues have you guys had with them, and what models? I have heard of some massive issues with certain Dell models, but I personally have never had any issues aside from a defective battery which they replaced the next day. I think a lot of people who use Dell's at work go through them "like water" primarily due to the users... I know at my work many people drop them, spill stuff on them, and just generally don't take care of their computers and then they wonder why the monitor doesn't work... All I can say is I have never had any real problems of my own - and I do heavy computing all day long, but from a programming side, not a gaming side. I have some friends who do heavy gaming and LOVE the XPS, and I think it's pretty sleek looking too...

I actually like fox's point - I would get a mac over any other computer out there right now if i was in the market, and just dual boot it.
Because I know how to build and install my own computers I've realised that any premanufacted computer is crap. Its like a company buying a Pinto and slaping a Ford logo on it then selling it back to you. And the choice is obvious on this one. Best way I can compare it for you computer illiterates is that the Dell is a Mustang and the Asus is a Corvette. Ya, which one do you want now.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Dell Inspirion 8200 (few years old).

Basically the graphics chip with messed up when I received it. They ended up replacing it. 6 months later, at the beginning of a LAN party the motherboard went kaput. I have had much of an issue with it since (besides a reduced battery life).

Both times, Dell paid for shipping and it took me about a week and half to get it back.

Dell laptops are not put together at the Dell warehouse, but instead come from overseas. I never bought a desktop computer for myself from Dell, I assembled my own.