Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help a Marine out please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a Marine out please...

I just recently bought a used quad off a private seller. I paid 2500 dollars in cash for it. The quad is a Suzuki ltz400 2003. The man selling it said it was in good shape. So I drove all the way down to San Diego to go look at it. It was not in bad shape had some rust on it and some dings. He claims it was sitting in the yard for two years. I seen some minor things that could be fixed so I bought it. I took it to a mechanic to have him go over it, and come to find out the frame was cracked!!! Now I am going through this even more. The steering stem is also bent and the sub frame. Alot of it you could not notice. Took a mechanics eyes. So I call the guy and said look you were not honest in this purchase. He told me to deal with it. Now lets say i was out in the desert riding and I wiped out due to that frame and got seriously injured. What should I do?

Old 03-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help a Marine out please...

take him to court, if you asked him if the frame and **** was intact and he lied you got a good case, otherwise use that fine usmc training on his bitch ***

Old 03-06-2007, 01:54 AM

I am wondering if the Lemon Law applies to private sellers?

Old 03-06-2007, 01:57 AM

Look here moto, those deals always suck. He could say he sold it with no knowledge of any damage, and who knows, maybe he let his buddy ride it and he F'd it up. You and I know that this is not the case most likely. I dunno bro, maybe get a lawyer, but that gets more expensive than the rig you bought. Hind-sight is 20/20. I'd have paid half up front and the other half after my mechanic looked it over, or, take him with you to a mechanic to have it looked over. Might have costed you 65 bucks for an hour of labor, but would have saved you in the long run. Do you know where he lives? J/K'ing Private deals can get ugly, some real ****heads out there.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that man ... dishonest people get the karma treatment .. but sometimes that takes too long. Are you saying you had inspected after the sale? If so, I'm no lawyer, but I don't think there's much you can do with a private sale. IMO though, even though it's a huge disheartening hit to take, I wouldn't risk riding it with a cracked frame. I'd resell it at the true value even though it's a huge loss. Although, I don't know about your state but in Georgia some verbal things do stand up so maybe small claims would be the way to go and hope the judge believes you more than the other guy.

Good luck

Old 03-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Users

If he sold it "As Is" without warranty or whatever, then you're pretty much screwed. Lemon laws don't apply to private sellers, and as someone else mentioned, it'd be a hell of a lot more expensive to get a lawyer. If you're really munched about it, there's always small claims court. Either that or cough it up to "lesson learned" and don't try and pawn it off on someone else without getting that frame fixed. Now that you know the frame is cracked, if you go out in the desert riding and get hurt, the guy can say you already knew and you can't hold him liable. Again, small claims court if you're really munched about it...or just cough up an extra $$ to get the frame fixed and ride the hell out of that thing.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:07 AM

Here is the thing. It was not sold "as is." You would of never noticed this crack unless the quad was sitting up high, ie in the back of a truck. I understand what you are all saying. I appreciate it. Fact of if I had gotten seriously injured. He straight up bold faced lied to me when i was asking if it has been ever damaged or anything. I feel like a ****ing dumbass now.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Users

Did you go to the base legal office and ask what your options are? Maybe they can help you out by pointing you in the right direction even though they can't represent you.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:12 AM

Oh I am going to my legal section on base tomorrow. I know. I am just irritated on how many dishonest people there are when it comes to someones safety.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 AM

I would call Judge Judy. You probably get a free trip to the show and don't have to pay for a lawyer. And you get to be on TV.

Quick Reply: Help a Marine out please...