Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help another (soon to be) rider

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help another (soon to be) rider

An acquaintance is gonna get into riding next season. She's been riding b!tch and has gotten tired of it. She's fairly sure that a 250 is where she needs to start, as she has a couple mental roadblocks to overcome. The larger bikes intimidate the hell out of her. So she invents excuses like "I'm too short for a 600" (She's 5' 4"), "It's too heavy for someone my size" (120 lbs) and etc. Listening to her, I'm certain a 250 is where she needs to start as they don't intimidate her as much. So she has a better chance of controlling it, instead of letting the bike control her.

Where the problem comes in is her other, more squidly, acquaintances are trying to shove her to a bigger bike. Some ridiculously too big for all but advanced riders (serious recommendations for GSXR 1100s and 'busas). Their main argument being that she'll outgrow a 250 quick and need "more power to keep up". I'm not too concerned with these arguments winning her over. But I also know she's listening partially to the "keep up" argument because her bf rides a zx-10r. I know her bf and know when they're riding together, he won't push her past her (or her bike's) limits. But these other people are starting to annoy me because apparently they "know" the only way to beat another rider is by adding more cc to the bike.

Here's what I'm looking for: any videos you know of where a rider on a smaller bike beats a bigger bike through skill. I don't think the others have truly seen a small bike ridden with skill, especially when directly against a larger bike. Hell they looked at me strange when I said I don't know my bike's top speed since I've never needed it.

So what ya got?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know of any video's, but I'm sure their out there. But confidence is king when your riding (Novice or Advanced) If she is convinced that a 250 is the way to go, then I don't think your friends will change her mind. There are also a few bigger twins around to, that may suit as well, like the SV 650 Suzuki or the Kawasaki ER600 (650). Not big bikes physically, but a bit more predictable power than a 250 & they are good to ride as well.
On 250's I saw a Kawasaki Ninja 250 the other day & they certainly look the business.
I'd be having a word to the guy that's suggesting she (a learner rider) get a Hayabusa

Nearly forgot, there is a saying that's been around for years which might be apt. "A small bike is the right hands can beat a big bike in the wrong ones".

Last edited by pacemaker; 12-13-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:13 PM

She may be convinced the 250 is the way to go (even tho it'll mean a Kawa instead of a real ). But people whispering in her ear about keeping up with them and her bf could also be pretty powerful.

These people are speaking from ignorance, never having done anything more than straight lines on highways and striking a pose around town. I'm trying to find some hard, visual evidence that riding isn't about power. That it's about control. That a well controlled bike can beat a more powerful bike that is even adequately controlled

Old 12-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Here's one fun vid &

A review of a 700 mile run HERE (Total justification !!!!!)
They need to respect her gradual progression up to speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNVW5Wh-is

Old 12-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a 250 is where she wants to be, then thats what she should get.

My wife started out on an 02 R6. She did ok, but did drop it a 2 times, once at a stop sign and once in the driveway. In fairness, it wasn't lowered for her at the time. Once it was lowered, she never dropped it again. She is 5'3 and 110lbs. I tried to convince her to get at least a 500 to start with, but she wanted the R6. I had it as an extra bike that I was going to turn into a track bike, but the wife won out. I did some checking and the R6 was actually better than the 500 for a beginner in my opinion. It is lighter, has better brakes... handles better... just an all around better bike. The only downfall was the power the 600 was capable of. Im not sure how the 250 stacks up for weight, but they do look a lot better now. She then moved to a ninja 636 and loved it. We recently had to sell it though... money is tight.

I guess my point is, its not impossible for her to start on a 600, but if she feels intimidated, then thats the wrong choice for her. she needs to feel confidant before she even throws a leg over any bike.

as for smaller bikes being better. Just look at any track, darn near all of the instructors are running bikes like SV 650's and kicking the snot out of less skilled liter bike riders. But, it will all come down to skill. a smaller bike and a larger bike with the same rider.... the larger bike wins.

I would suggest, if she doesnt have a decent person to show her the ropes, at the very least have take the MSF.

Oh, and if her bf can't wait for her, then it sounds like she needs a new bf that actually cares about her. I never let my wife out of my sight whenever we rode.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 PM

just found this video of a 250 beating up on 600s on the track..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2HnE...eature=related

Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 PM

Her boyfriend is good peeps. He's my actual friend. He won't leave her behind. He's also smart enough give his opinion once, support her in any decision. And leave everyone else to take the blame

She's in her mid 30s so she has a good head on her shoulders. But to give yall an idea of the stupid chit being said round her, one guy told her that you can wreck on a 250 just like a 600 or 1000 (true). So a "spill is a spill" and she might as well go with the bigger bike ().

She's smart enough to ask people that ride for their opinion. But the people saying smaller are definitely in minority. Except for her level of confidence I prolly wouldn't recommend a 250 either... She's experienced riding on the back so she knows and understands many things about riding a completely new rider doesn't get for a while. But while she's not afraid of the bike, she is afraid of her ability to control it.

I sent her the review that Sprock linked and she loved it, feeling better about not going 'big'

Old 12-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really enjoyed the clip, No doubt about it, gotta get me one of those Ninja's.
Thing is, the rider would have the pure joy of wringing the bikes neck & taking it to its limits, while the other guys seemed more worried about getting their knees down apparently.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:08 PM

Tell her to take a Motorcycle riders course. They are on 250's she can get an idea from there.

I've seen scooters beat 600's on Mordeth13's u-tube page.

Quick Reply: Help another (soon to be) rider