Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

xxxxx

Last edited by madgreek; 08-25-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Help!

you could probably build up there, but that's probably not the best fix...honestly...i would probably just try and find another cover and replace...but that's just me...

Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: ffingers

you could probably build up there, but that's probably not the best fix...honestly...i would probably just try and find another cover and replace...but that's just me...
It's not his cover, its his block.
You could build up the weld if you were good. It's aluminum....
What you need to do is remove the cover and see if the block is cracked more or if its just the chunk missing.
If the chunk is just missing, then you could try to use JBweld and build it up/ create a solid sealing surface. If you do this, don't worry about putting a bolt through or tapping or anything. Just make sure you get it 100% perfectly flat and smooth for the gasket surface (and use hitak or some sort of gasket sealant).

Now.. if it IS cracked further and it appears that it may continue to crack, find a GOOD welder. This is aluminum...
Build up the weld slowly. Let it cool, build it up... basically you shouldn't damage the engine form heat if you do it like this (or warp it from heat)
That's pretty ****ty, and I had to deal with it on my first bike (F3)

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM

Heli coil it. I did that to one of my engines on my truck when it messed up. the hole was stripped so i took it to the mechanics shop and had them put a heli coil in it and re tap and die it and VOLA!!! good as new.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered Users

oh crap...sorry, i misread it....that's what i get trying to read fast at work....

i agree with txn, although i have never had it done, i have heard of other people heli coiling blocks and whatnot and have had nothing but good success....good luck man!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:08 PM

An ex of mine used to ride a 1000rr, she wrecked it around a corner last summerand the bottom crank hit a rock wall...long story short, my boy who works on my bike knows this welder in CT here that has done lots of work on his stunters, so he welded the piece that snapped off her crankcase back on, I'm talking a hole thru the bottom and one of the bolts (luckily they found the piece at the scene, about dime sized)and after applying sealant it still dripped. She still rides it like that, you just need to check the oil every week or so. Although it does suck, it's not that big a deal, I think. Be glad it's a top bolt and not the bottom one like hers, and I think it would be fixable.

If your real pissed, call the guy you bought it from and give him hell. How is it that he would not know? Someone knew if they filled the gap with sealant... why could it have not been him?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM
RCR

JB weld sucks dont use it. If its a no fix (having a shop weld and tap) find a expansion bolt for the size you need (masonary anchor) they come in millions of different sizes and lengths. This way it will lock into the case and still be able to remove the cover.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 PM

xxxxx

Last edited by madgreek; 08-25-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** that! i'd call him now while the problem/anger is fresh! a little fear wont hurt him, lol. thats ****ed up for sure though. good luck, Greek.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 PM
RCR

Thats why people write "as is" on the bill of sale. Lets them get away with everything saying that. even if they knew about the problem.

Just move on and fix it.