Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Helmet Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmet Suggestions?

Christmas is just around the corner, and I will most likely need a new helmet for next season. Read on if you want details, but I'm looking for a helmet that doesn't allow a lot of air/wind up thru the chin area (chin curtain), simple enough to match most bikes, but still looks good, and of course, safe, duh. I've been looking at Shoei or Arai for the quality and warrant.

I currently have one of these bad boys and love it. The visor inside is great. I have sensitive eyes (doctor said so) and when the sun is setting it's perfect to use.

I only have a clear visor as of now. I figure if I'm stuck out at night, and have no backpack to carry another one in, what do I do? Ride home not being able to see? I don't want to plan my day around a visor. So please don't try to sell me on a smoked/darker one

However, The only issue with the HJC right now is too much air comes up thru the chin area. It's great air flow when it's warm, but any cold, even cool weather, and my face gets it.

Last edited by Zero1080; 11-27-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Shoei with a dark smoke shield. When I ride to work at 5:30 a.m. it is still dark for about another hour and I don't have any problem being able to see. However, some owners of the same model bike that I have say they cannot see very well at night with the stock headlights and had to get HID replacement kits so I guess everyone's vision is different.

On the draft I used to wrap a scarf around my neck that would prevent any air from getting under my helmet. You just have to control your breathing at lower speeds because no air circulation meant easier fogging.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya on the smoke visor thing. I don't know how anyone can see with those at night. I can't see in to the sides of the road at all with a tinted visor. And around here with a lot of deer, I don't want to risk not seeing one.

Im assuming the model you have is the FS-10?

I have the IS-16, which is very similiar to the FS-10, in that it also has the flip down shield. However, my helmet came with a chin wrap. I don't use it because it kind of a pina getting the helmet on and off, but I used it once, and it did keep the cool air off my chin. My neck still got cold, but it did prevent quite a bit of wind going up into the face area.

As for quality. I really like my Arai, but if your ever planning on doing a shield change, plan on 10 minutes, a lot of cuss'n, and possibly breaking pieces. Those end covers they use for styling are a huge problem area. I have a light smoke on my Arai just in case Im out after dark, I can still see. The drop down chin spoiler works suprisenly well though.

I would probably go with Shoei. You get great quality and fit, and a visor change system that takes a few seconds to swap the visor. Its not just swapping visors though, I remove the visor to clean it properly since they are so easy to remove.

in all honesty though. the cost difference between my IS-16 and my Arai is not worth the level of comfort. The HJC is actually quiter as far as wind noise, has all of the same high end features, and cost 1/3 of what my Arai did. My Arai does seem to be a bit cooler though on hot days. but its also multi-colored, where my HJC is all black.

If I were you, I'd just keep the helmet you have since it fills the needs for your vision during the day and night, and just buy a balaclava. They are very thin, and keep the wind off your neck and face. They can actually make the helmet feel better on your head. They even have ones that have built in breath deflectors. Just pop it under your rear seat or even a pocket.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:15 AM

isnt hjc the one who makes the flip down sunglasses on the inside? so you could have your clear visor then during the day just flip down the shades.... i think its them il have to look

Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 AM

Well if you're considering Shoei already, thats where my vote goes. I've had Scorpions / HJC's and my Shoei RF-1100.

The 1100 is by far the best helmet I've owned.

The Scorpion 1000 has that flip down visor as well, however I have no first hand experience with it.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:23 AM

I love the quallity of my scorpion plus its made in the usa, however I never concidered weight till I read it on this forum. Scorpion helmets are heavy, from all reviews I read go with a shoei or an arai. There good helmets and all weight a fraction of my scorpion. Johnnyh

Old 11-28-2010, 10:12 AM

My Arai has a chin curtain that helps a little but for cooler temps I'd look at a helmet skirt. Easily fitted to any helmet and does a good job blocking wind noise and cold.
I know that's not exactly what you were asking for, but w/ a skirt the air flow is no longer an issue and helmet could be chosen for other features. Some models can be left on when temps are warmer and claim to enhance the helmet's built in venting by decreasing turbulent airflow at the bottom of the helmet.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:09 PM
July 2010 ROTM

i hated my exo 1000
i got a bell star and loooooove it
arais feel nice too

Old 11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. Thanks for all the input. I used a balaclava last year, and while it worked, it really just delayed the inevitable cold.

If the Shoei's have chin curtains, then that's what I'm going with I think. As much as I love my HJC, I don't want to replace it with the exact same thing.

I wear sunglasses all the time too, including when I'm riding. I'll just have to find a better spot for them on my person if I go with a dark visor. I'll probably try it, and worst case is I end up with a spare.

Quick Reply: Helmet Suggestions?