Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Helmet Observation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Observation

Yesterday I had to kill some time in view of a road. I was curious to see how many bikers wore helmets on a beautiful spring day (75 degrees, sunny, around 2pm)in Florida.

Of 48 bikers seen:

10 were sportbikes/nakeds.

38 were cruisers/touring

80% of the sportbike/standard riders wore helmets (8 of 10)

40% of the cruiser/touring riders wore helmets.(15 of 38)

Every one oftouring crowd wore their helmet, but I didn't split out their numbers. But the other thing I noticed was that none of the sportbike riders had full gear on. One of the non-helmetted riders had a back-protector with shorts on. A few cruiser types had full gear but no helmet.

Happy Easter everyone.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Observation

here in MD there's a helmet law. if there wasnt, i'd still wear mine. i now wear full leathers 80% of the time i ride. but i will say i hardly EEEEEEEEEEVER see the following....

- harley rider w/ FULL FACE helmet

- sportbike rider w/ full leathers.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Harley riders are immune to crashing, didnt you know.........

Granted i have never been down, but full leathers seems a bit overkill to me. I am sure thats the best you can get, no doubt, but not the most convenient to wear every time you ride. I do boots, flak shorts under my jeans, leather coat, gloves and the bucket. I hope when i fall its enough.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's hope you don't go down, or any of us for that matter - jeans will shred to nothing after a 3 ' slide on tar at 35 MPH.......then there's just skin.......ow....ow[X(]
I'd rather sweat than bleed.....full leather, helmet, gloves, all the time for me.
What's that old saying about
"I'd rather walk/limp away, pissed off after dropping it, than be carried away in an ambulance"

Old 03-23-2008, 11:23 PM

i was wearing jeans and my icon merc(mesh) jacket when i wrecked..it was about a 50mph slide..the jeans werent to good..i ended up with alot of stiches around my legs/knees. but my upper body was just bruised with 2 small cuts..no rash tho. im going to get some ICON riding jeans for this season..there more of a wax cotton material and allow more sliding..plus there are like 50% thicker..hope it works out.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:32 PM
RCR

Im with TK. I preety much wear the bucket,lid,gloves and boots (work).

Not really agreeing with the levis shred in 3', In 89' I lowsided my bike at 90 mph and slide over 100' only wearing t-shirt and jeans. most of the road rash was on the forearms and shoulder blades. The levis saved my *** only two 3 or 4" holes with minimal road rash there. Every accident is different so is the road conditions maybe, I just got lucky. Not that I want to test that theory out agian.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have kevlar reinforced jeans here in South Africa - locally made, with kevlar in the knees, hips and butt. Not cheap at around $60 US but much better than normal Levi's....
Gearup is the company, if you're interested......

RCR, maybe the tar was older, and really smooth, I have friends who fell off at that speed who needed extensive skin grafts......

Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I realize the jeans aren't gonna hold up, like stated above i wear the Icon field armor shorts underneath. I dont know just how much they can really take, but i know they are better then just jeans. I know the risks to riding, and i wear a pretty fair amount of gear, but i honestly think if i had to throw on a full suit every time i ride to work, or the store i would not ride as much. I have tried a few on, and just do not like the feel at all.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 PM
RCR

Ya I realize that I was just lucky. Full leathers here in So Cal at 105 just isn't appealing, I ride for the enjoyment and I feel that I would be miserable and what fun is that. Hell we all know the risk were taking just riding a bike.People die in cars with seat belts and airbags, motorcycle riders diein full leathers. Im sure a helmet is only good for a certian amount of speed(maybe 30mph is my guess)before it actually turns into neck snapping device from a sudden stop. Just riding within your limits is the best you can do i guess...

Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: jaynd

here in MD there's a helmet law. if there wasnt, i'd still wear mine. i now wear full leathers 80% of the time i ride. but i will say i hardly EEEEEEEEEEVER see the following....

- harley rider w/ FULL FACE helmet

- sportbike rider w/ full leathers.
Its a GREAT thing you guys in MD have the helmet law. Im up here on business and Ive seen some idiots out riding up here. Squid Central in The BLVD in Largo

Quick Reply: Helmet Observation