Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Headlight bulb replacements? (not HID)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight bulb replacements? (not HID)

I keep reading about H7 Silverstars Super white bulbs.

Does anyone have these bulbs? Or have replaced their bulbs with after market ones?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:06 PM

I had some in my car and they were just white instead of oem yellow. They were not too much brighter over stock and one of them burned out after 10 months, I was not happy as they were not cheap. Thats when I got DDM Hid's and couldn't be happier.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM

I've ran them in my bikes before and thought they were pretty good. Definately whiter, but also brighter too. It will also depend on which ones you get. Don't get the cool blue ones, as those are mearly bulbs with a blue filtered tube that only allows white light through. They block all other light, which translates to less output. What you get is a light that is white, but doesn't show as much. Another problem with cheap bulbs you see on the internet that are completely blue. They do not work.

However, the sylvania silverstar ultra's are a good bulb. Expensive... and they do not last as long as a standard bulb. But they do show more light. They too have a filter, but its very very faint and still allows all color to get through, so you get a whiter, brighter light. The type of gas and filiment is where the brightness comes from. But with that, they burn out quicker.

I've ran them in my car and my bike. They made a good difference in my bike and lasted until I upgraded to HID projectors, but they lasted easily 15,000 miles. In my car, it was another story. They only lasted about 5 months in my car, and they didn't seem to make as big a difference in my car as they did my bike. I think the smaller the reflector, the bigger the difference between bulb types.

Just note that they will never be close to HID. They are brighter than oem bulbs, but thats all. A bit brighter.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Banned

I guess my smartest option would to be install HID's. But Im hesitant to pay such money for it.

Seems like paying $30 for bulbs that aren't going to last and are only slightly brighter is kind of a waste... scratch that idea.

Anyone know of a deal anywhere on HIDS's?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:21 AM

DDM Tuning

I know a good amount of people on here have them and are happy. I have them in my car both low beam and fogs and couldn't be happier. The amount of light they put out is unreal.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocketsauce035
DDM Tuning

I know a good amount of people on here have them and are happy. I have them in my car both low beam and fogs and couldn't be happier. The amount of light they put out is unreal.

Only $35 for a HID kit? I thought they were like $100-$200

Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 AM

back a few years ago they were but just watch out what kind of kits u get. be safe and go with the ddm. i spent 30 bucks one 1 of them sliverstar's its ok but 5 more bucks i could of had the hid's so now i got a 30 dollar bulb laying there now. its not hard to install dont let that scare ya off. just check out some youtube vids for ddm and i bet u will be getting some hid's very soon

Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Just a heads up, seeing as you said it was $35 you were looking at the kit with 2 bulbs.

I wouldn't recommend you get a kit for your hi as it takes a few seconds for the bulb to fully come on so you can't flash really at all.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocketsauce035
Just a heads up, seeing as you said it was $35 you were looking at the kit with 2 bulbs.

I wouldn't recommend you get a kit for your hi as it takes a few seconds for the bulb to fully come on so you can't flash really at all.
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't have known that.

So is this what I should get?
Click

Also, what wattage and bulb color would you recommend?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:13 PM

35w 6k it got some of that blue tint but makes the road nice an white

Quick Reply: Headlight bulb replacements? (not HID)