Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Having a hard time getting back in the groove

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a hard time getting back in the groove

I last owned a sport bike some 9 or so years ago. I had an 88 Hurricane, was a great bike to me. Instilled confidence, felt really good under me in the twisties, even though it lacked a bit of power and was cramped for my size and height on the open road. It was the pinnacle of the three Honda's I had owned up to that point. I have nothing but fond memories of it, and have always yearned to own another Honda sportbike. In the meantime I have ridden a Harley on a very regular basis, even a daily rider several months of the year. Great bike for crusing along, in spite of it being a bit crude and loud. I mean we can all admit, technology surpassed the design HD is still using a LONG time ago.....anyway, very enjoyable.

I ran across a deal, a buddy of mine sold me his 96 900RR. Its size is ideal for me, and the power is incredible. By far the fastest bike I have owned...
I am having a heck of a time getting re-acclimated to this bike. I can't seem to get over the fact that I actually have some ground clearance and handling, not to mention the improved braking and responce.
In spite of that, I just can't seem to gain my confidence in this bike, to trust my experiance, and its handling. Not that I am pushing things by any means, but I am almost dangerous to myself ..... I keep getting "squirrelly" on entry and mid corner.
On top of that I just don't remember these things being this uncomfortable......lol. Maybe its just that I am 36 instead of 26?.....

Old 05-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Having a hard time getting back in the groove

youll be ok,

Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 AM

Gotta put in more miles and just get used to the feel. It's nothing like a cruiser or dirt bike or anything like that. Totally different feel. The ache's will go away and you'll get used to it, same with your hands going numb when you first start riding.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:51 AM

I switched from a Nighthawk 750 to an F4i and it's taking me some time to adjust. It handles much better but it oddly doesn't feelas safe, maybe because it feels top-heavy and I know how easy it is to break the rear tire loose.(I just saw this happen the other night and watched a friend dump his 954 -- it was scary how FAST the back end slid out!)It definitely isn't as comfortable. I also tend to go into curves a little hot and spook myself sometimes. I've only put about 500 miles on the CBR and I'm stillgetting used to it.

Not sure if there is a point to this, just letting you know you're not the only one.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 AM

It took me a good few months of riding like a litttle girl on my cbr to get used to it. I also had been riding my harley everywhere for about 10 years ,just a whole new style, but you'll get it man!

Old 05-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I'm 35 and still ride over 10k miles a year, make sure you do something to keep in shape (not to presume you arent) if not even a weight routine. I started lifting 2 years ago and i can ride so much longer now and im never sore, also helped with my confidence in handling the bike. Just take your time you will get used to it again.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 56, had my 98 CBR600 since new. Gotta give those wrists, back & bum a bit of time to get used to the position, do it in stages. Remember that once your out on the open road, you will get a bit more support from mother nature (wind). could have done worse and bought yourself a Ducati. (ouch, oh my back, ouch, oh my wrists, ouch, oh my legs, ouch, oh my wallet).

Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 AM

adjust sag and then zero rebound damp and compression damp to absolute mid or whatever manual says and go from there. i used to get squirrely cuz i had to much rebound (so i went left of bell curve -- read Total Control by lee Parks)....

Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: AudiCBR

adjust sag and then zero rebound damp and compression damp to absolute mid or whatever manual says and go from there. i used to get squirrely cuz i had to much rebound (so i went left of bell curve -- read Total Control by lee Parks)....
+1 good book. Just take it easy 'til you get the hang of it.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM

just ride,ride,ride...

Quick Reply: Having a hard time getting back in the groove