Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Have to get rid of the Dog

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007 | 07:55 PM
Default RE: Have to get rid of the Dog

Other options:
[ul][*]Obedience School[/ul][ul][*]Doberman rescue (changes are there's one near you). They usually will pick up your dog and stick him with a foster family who will generally work with the dogs training and assessing what kind of environment (kids, cats, other dogs, etc) is best for that dog. Then they go and inspect the prospective adoptee family and make sure the home meets the requirements of the rescue. Many rescues (Mid-Atlantic Great Dane is the one I'm familiar with) have rules like, no electric fences, must be a fenced in yard or a dog run.
[/ul]

Old 11-04-2007 | 08:00 PM

Obedience school could help with the dominance issue that your dog is having. It would help to have not only yourself but your wife be present and TRY this before you throw him away. We still need to know if he bit you.

Old 11-04-2007 | 08:33 PM

I laugh my *** off when a topic like this comes up. Ya, little kids never do anything to annoy an animal.

I see it a hundred times. Sitting in a lawn chair looking around and little kid smacks a dog in the face. The dog doesnt even have to bite, just wimper and the owner comes over and beats the **** out of the dog.

Yup. Kids are inoccent.

Old 11-04-2007 | 11:23 PM
|

It not that he bits people that I am worried about, he warms up to people, but hes not a dog that does well with small children. I have tried to teach him, but dobermans can be very stubborn dogs. I have a few friends that want him (my wife never has liiked him) I talked to one of my buddies today and he said he would love to have him. He isnt vicious.....theres just some dogs that arent well with children...yea small kids tend to pull/hit/kick dogs, but most wont bit. If you dont have kids then of course you wouldn't understand

HE HAS NEVER BIT ME, nor would he, hes not vicious, yea he is a short tempered dog, thats why he is not good with kids. and hes also very protective...I dunno why he doesn't like people he doesn't know, never had a dog like this before, and have had several dogs and this is my 2nd doberman....my other doberman was also not as hyper, and not as stubborn

He was taken to puppy obedient school, but nothing more, If I do end up giving him to my buddy atleast I will know he has a good home...but if for some reason he doesn't want him I will look into the doberman rescue

Heres a pic

Name:  Picture0090.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 11-04-2007 | 11:34 PM

It sounds like a good deal with giving him to a buddy who you know. I agree some dogs can be short, but dobermans are a protective breed. It's what they were made to be.

Old 11-04-2007 | 11:37 PM

Mate, I want him!, All dog behavior can be modified, Its all learnt/learning response, I can understand your position having kids, But if you know someone that will love him & give him a good home..................
Just don't have him put down or give him to the pound.

Old 11-04-2007 | 11:59 PM

I'd be more worried of him humpin little kids.

Old 11-05-2007 | 12:28 AM

*Ahem* ya' talk about timing with this topic.

Sorry to hear that your daughter was bitten N8 Dawg. You're right, a smaller dog is the way to go when you have children.

Old 11-05-2007 | 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Manowar Vin

If you have to get rid of this dog for your reasons, you certainly shouldnt be getting another. Theres so much wrong with that decision (to get another) its not even funny. What next, get rid of dogs because they are no longer cute puppies? Put your dog down yourself if you have to give it away and it apparently won't get along with anyone else. It's more humane instead of all the emotional trauma of moving from home to home and never being loved again. Might make you re-think the seriousness of becoming another pet owner as well. Go ahead and talk smack about my opinion, won't bother me one bit.
Ok, there is a HUGE difference in getting rid of a dog due to safety of a little child, and thinking one is not cute enough. Your comparison is terrible.

Old 11-05-2007 | 09:19 AM
|

ORIGINAL: must_tang50

ORIGINAL: Manowar Vin

If you have to get rid of this dog for your reasons, you certainly shouldnt be getting another. Theres so much wrong with that decision (to get another) its not even funny. What next, get rid of dogs because they are no longer cute puppies? Put your dog down yourself if you have to give it away and it apparently won't get along with anyone else. It's more humane instead of all the emotional trauma of moving from home to home and never being loved again. Might make you re-think the seriousness of becoming another pet owner as well. Go ahead and talk smack about my opinion, won't bother me one bit.
Ok, there is a HUGE difference in getting rid of a dog due to safety of a little child, and thinking one is not cute enough. Your comparison is terrible.
agreeed....I still think hes cute, how can you not think hes cute.

Name:  Picture0100.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  45.6 KB

and there no way I am putting him to sleep, he does not like when people come into my house(his house) that he doesnt know....I can take himk to vet...and other places and hes fine. Hes protective like I said. He always wants to be where I am, he follows me everywhere.....Hes not a bad dog he just is too rough with my daughter, he thinks hes playing but hes 80lbs, and shes 25lbs....and he recently just bit her and broke the skin, I think she did something to him, but I cant have him biting my family.

I am thinking about taking him to obedient school see if that helps, if not I think my buddy is going to take him