Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Have to get rid of the Dog

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to get rid of the Dog

I have a 1.5 old Blue Doberman, and last night he bit my daughter, guess she pulled his ear but I cant have him biting my daughter (shes 2) I dont want to take him to the pound (dont want him put to sleep) my family doesnt want him (he doesnt take up well to strangers hes very protective) so where can I take him that they wont put him to sleep? I know there are some sort of no kill dog places but wonder what they are called? any advice?

I am getting another dog (hate to see him go, so a new puppy will hopefully cheer me up)

Old 11-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Default RE: Have to get rid of the Dog

awww, ,man im sorry to hear that, id take him, but i cant get a dog with this damn apt....

Old 11-04-2007, 04:35 PM

Why do you have to get rid of him? Can't you keep your daughter away from him? My parents would have painted my back porch red for pulling on a dog's ears and kept the dog.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear wot happened, Its like this, dogs are pack animals (like humans), they look for their place in the pack. Pack leader (you) 2nd (your wife) 3rd (your dog) 4th (your daughter). Now adults are a bit better in reading dogs & wot they do. In a pack, if another dog (or pup read: lowest status) does something to **** the dog off, they growl 1st & if it perceives that the lower status dog is not getting the message, then they will nip them. Here's where it gets difficult, in the dog world the dog that gets nipped may yelp, but will then go in to submissive pose, lowering their head, body, dropping their tail & avoid eye contact (some young pups will pee themselves & roll onto their backs exposing their bellies. With a child, they don't see any of the signs & keep doing whatever the dog percieves as a problem, if they get a nip, they scream in pain & the dog perceives this as aggressive (as in non submissive behaviour). Now, a lot of people will tell you that your dogs behaviour is jealousy, this is BS, dogs do get jealous, but it then becomes attention seeking display, favourite toy, barking, even peeing on the rug again (any attention, even if its bad)
There a several things you can do to keep your dog, train your daughter to be aware of the dog, that its not a toy. the best thing though is to teach your dog, make sure it realises where your daughter fits in the pack, if your dog has a favourite spot on the lounge, push it off, put your daughter there (even if its only for a minute). Start putting your dog outside for a while (not to punish him) but to make him aware that his lowest on the pole. Get your daughter to play with dog, supervised at all times, a bond will form between them.
Its only for a short while, your daughter is growing every day, dogs are pretty cluey animals.
If you have to get rid of the dog (& I'm dead against it) find a home for it yourself, at least you can meet & find the right people. Pounds don't put dogs to "Sleep" they are given overdoses, so they die, it's just a nice way of putting it, Pounds also don't give a rats **** who they give a dog to.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

Sorry to hear wot happened, Its like this, dogs are pack animals (like humans), they look for their place in the pack. Pack leader (you) 2nd (your wife) 3rd (your dog) 4th (your daughter). Now adults are a bit better in reading dogs & wot they do. In a pack, if another dog (or pup read: lowest status) does something to **** the dog off, they growl 1st & if it perceives that the lower status dog is not getting the message, then they will nip them. Here's where it gets difficult, in the dog world the dog that gets nipped may yelp, but will then go in to submissive pose, lowering their head, body, dropping their tail & avoid eye contact (some young pups will pee themselves & roll onto their backs exposing their bellies. With a child, they don't see any of the signs & keep doing whatever the dog percieves as a problem, if they get a nip, they scream in pain & the dog perceives this as aggressive (as in non submissive behaviour). Now, a lot of people will tell you that your dogs behaviour is jealousy, this is BS, dogs do get jealous, but it then becomes attention seeking display, favourite toy, barking, even peeing on the rug again (any attention, even if its bad)
There a several things you can do to keep your dog, train your daughter to be aware of the dog, that its not a toy. the best thing though is to teach your dog, make sure it realises where your daughter fits in the pack, if your dog has a favourite spot on the lounge, push it off, put your daughter there (even if its only for a minute). Start putting your dog outside for a while (not to punish him) but to make him aware that his lowest on the pole. Get your daughter to play with dog, supervised at all times, a bond will form between them.
Its only for a short while, your daughter is growing every day, dogs are pretty cluey animals.
If you have to get rid of the dog (& I'm dead against it) find a home for it yourself, at least you can meet & find the right people. Pounds don't put dogs to "Sleep" they are given overdoses, so they die, it's just a nice way of putting it, Pounds also don't give a rats **** who they give a dog to.

That is some good advice.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:55 PM

well hes bit my wife also, and I wont have him biting my daughter, my old doberman I use to swing from his head...pull his ear, everything and never would of bit me....my dog now is basically short tempered, you mess with him he bites back literally.....any one he doesnt know he will bite, I have to put him in his cage until they are gone....I hate to get rid of him, but my daughter comes first....

Old 11-04-2007, 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: N8 Dawg

well hes bit my wife also, and I wont have him biting my daughter, my old doberman I use to swing from his head...pull his ear, everything and never would of bit me....my dog now is basically short tempered, you mess with him he bites back literally.....any one he doesnt know he will bite, I have to put him in his cage until they are gone....I hate to get rid of him, but my daughter comes first....
Has he ever bit you?

Old 11-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Get rid of it. Humans>Animals.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now a word from the 'get rid of the dog' side of this discussion. You have a dog that is admittedly short tempered and bites. You have several concerns here. First, the safety of your family. Second, the safety of anyone who happens to enter your home. Third, your 18-month-old dog is going to hit sexual maturity soon and you'll see him become more agressive than he is now. Take a look at possible results: harm to your family or visitors (the most severe consequence), trouble with the law for harboring a vicious animal, lawsuits which could cost you everything you own. Your best course of action is to find someone that can safely deal with the dog, provide it with a safe home and care for it. If that isn't possible it may be that your only option is to put the dog down. I'd be very careful about who you give it to. There are some real jerks out there. But whatever you do,your families safety and that of others in your area are way ahead of any other considereation. You're on the right track in saying the dog has to go.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 PM

If you have to get rid of this dog for your reasons, you certainly shouldnt be getting another. Theres so much wrong with that decision (to get another) its not even funny. What next, get rid of dogs because they are no longer cute puppies? Put your dog down yourself if you have to give it away and it apparently won't get along with anyone else. It's more humane instead of all the emotional trauma of moving from home to home and never being loved again. Might make you re-think the seriousness of becoming another pet owner as well. Go ahead and talk smack about my opinion, won't bother me one bit.