Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harleys

Seriously this irritates me, it comes down to that Harley guys are dicks. **** that. I grew up with HarleysAND Hondasand I know it gets loud but so do sportbikes.Last year in my apartment that's all I heard all damn night from 10pm-4amin the summerwas sportbikes. My building also wasn't even the closest one to the road(with a speed limit of 40, so I don't know why everyone has to haul ***** on it anyway, go find some damn twisties or somethin) Mind you this is with windows, and slider closed and the air on.I own a sport bike so I'm not bashing the culture, just saying that just because it's a different exhaust sound, that doesn't meanjust as many sport riders aren't asguilty of it as cruisers. As far as the blip of the throttle I would give that a little more universal credit too...[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 AM

Remember -Ignorance, like chalk in a pool hall, is free..

Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

This is also one of the reasons why red cars tend to be in more accidents than blue cars.
I'd be interested in seeing those statistics. I wonder if they control for other factors, like age and gender of the driver, and who was at fault. My hunch is that people who choose a red car tend to be flashier and more aggressive, and people who buy blue cars are more conservative and safer drivers.

But you bring up an interesting point. Do you really want to be more visible, if that's just going to attract target fixation?

I think really loud pipes can startle a driver, which you definitely don't want.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Northernfirepower

Well I can contest to being one of those noisey riders. My F4i has an old F3 D&D Can cut down with no baffeling from the previous owner. I'm going to put some bafferling in there to see if it gets much quieter...otherwise it's back to a stock pipe...I don't like the attention

Good point, fish. I was going to say that exact thing.

NFP, I put my stocker back on for that very reason. The local twisties here are close to a lot of houses and I like to be respectful of the people who live on roads I love to ride.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:06 PM

Come on guys, you got to admit that a Harley with no baffles is louder than any sportbike. I don't know the laws in your area, but in Hawaii we have Harleys that run straight pipes, and you can hear them from miles away. A sportbike has a different tone, but definitely more tolerable. I'm not trying to bash Harley owners (I have a lot of friends who own them) But use some common sense when riding a loud bike at all hours of the night!
"Loud pipes save lives" [sm=wtf.gif]Fishfryer too care of that one for me [sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 PM

Sportbikes have a more tolerable sound then Harleys. This is true but anyone who is riding like a jackass at 1am can wake you up. In this case it isn't the fact that he was riding a Harley, it's the fact that he was an inconsiderate *******.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Volksdragg

Come on guys, you got to admit that a Harley with no baffles is louder than any sportbike. I don't know the laws in your area, but in Hawaii we have Harleys that run straight pipes, and you can hear them from miles away. A sportbike has a different tone, but definitely more tolerable. I'm not trying to bash Harley owners (I have a lot of friends who own them) But use some common sense when riding a loud bike at all hours of the night!
"Loud pipes save lives" [sm=wtf.gif]Fishfryer too care of that one for me [sm=yeahsmile.gif]
I agree. At the houseI grew up in the Ohio Turnpike was in my back yard and when loud HD's would go by you could here then for what seems like a year, but when loud sport bikes would go by you did not hear them near as long and they are not hash on the ears like the HD's.

Something about a loud V-twin just goes right threw ya.

I am respectful, but I would never put a stock pipe on my bike. I just keep it calm when I should and no one seems to mind. Most people tell me my bikes sounds good-even some old people.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:17 PM

Neither one of my bikes have stock pipes but they are quiet enough when you are not doing time trials in a residential neighborhood. I have 2 distinct sounds from my bikes the F2 withthe full 2 bros system is deep and throaty and the 1000RR is kind of an F1 car sound but you can ride down the street at night at sounds levels equaling a car so pretty much the guy was inconsiderate regardless what type of bike he had.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

This is also one of the reasons why red cars tend to be in more accidents than blue cars.
[/blockquote]

I'd be interested in seeing those statistics. I wonder if they control for other factors, like age and gender of the driver, and who was at fault. My hunch is that people who choose a red car tend to be flashier and more aggressive, and people who buy blue cars are more conservative and safer drivers.
I looked for where I saw that stat, but the closest I found was this:

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-there-a-l...-accidents.htm

They claim Brown is the worst...I stand corrected.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Retired Moderator

I think many sportbikes sound very sexy. I have a Micron, but am a fan of many other exhausts. Sometimes, not always, I hear a Harley go by me, and it hurts my ears so bad that I get pissed. I want to hunt that f_cker and drink his milkshake (recent catch phrase from an academy award winning movie, not anything gay ). I am also a non-believer in that addage "loud pipes save lives". Just no quantifiable evidence. My fart can is much louder than the stocker, but it has never kept an idiot from trying to run me over yet. As for a Harley, in general, I always think: twice the price, half the engineering. Maybe that should be their new motto. Voodoo gots ta get paid!!! [sm=pimp.gif]

Quick Reply: Harleys