Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice

i guess i am going to have to go look and see what would be comfortable to begin with. then i can start looking at calibers and what not. the range i go to rents guns for free, you just rent the clip and buy the ammo. probably go test fire a 9, 40 and 45 to see which i like the best, then i can see what carries the best.

i know alot of people say a 9mm doesnt have the stopping power that a .40 or .45 does, but how many shots do you really need? IMO i think im a pretty damn good shot, and im shooting center mass anyway if i ever have to draw, $hit you have atleast 10 shots.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the .45 will have the most stopping power with the least velocity, ie least accuracy...
the9mm will have the least stopping power with the most velocity, best accuracy...
the .40sw will be a mixture of both....

Old 04-08-2007, 05:47 PM

rrasco, letme know when you want to go, I will bring my Taurus and my XD and let you check em out. Which range do you normally go to?

Old 04-08-2007, 07:35 PM

My XD and 1911 Mil Spec Springfield's have lifetime warrranties..find that with Glock Hk Baretta or anyting else out there....u wont..and my 9mm XD is dead on accurate...but its just my preference....i get alot more use out of my RR than i do my XD tho....

Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 98CBR600F3

rrasco, letme know when you want to go, I will bring my Taurus and my XD and let you check em out. Which range do you normally go to?
will do. i go to bullethole.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: BurryTheSpeedo

the .45 will have the most stopping power with the least velocity, ie least accuracy...
the9mm will have the least stopping power with the most velocity, best accuracy...
the .40sw will be a mixture of both....
45 has the least accuracy???? Funny, I guess all the top IDPA, IPSCand comp bullseye shooters are wrong for using a 45acp, or they could do better... Velocity has noconnection to accuracy, in regards to pistol, only performance. Theres years of debate on what is better. 15rds of 9mm or 10 of 45....A 9mm might expand but a 45 will never shrink........Also in regards to accuracy...with CHL scenarios...your looking at an upper torso at 10, maybe 20 yds tops. And if you can't hit center mass at that distance with anything, you'd be better throwing a rock. A good balance is the 40 S&W, 9mm like capacity with 45 like performance, and almost every pistol out there that is made in 9mm or 45 can also be had in 40. +1 on the Mak for a budget pistol. Great shooters.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:28 PM

I thought that as well shocktroop. my 45acp is the most accurate pistola I have shot.

Hey cbrfreek I have an Xd 9mm and 1911 mil spec too!! Good combo, I love my springfield armory!

Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM

we are not talking about comp shooters here...
when it comes to street scenarios i wouldnt want to be taking pop-shots with a .45 hoping to hit someone at 50ft...i would much rather rely on a 9mm....
and yeah, if you only had a20-30ft distance between you and your advisary, a .45 would def do the job....

Old 04-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Retired Moderator

Would you even consider a revolver? I got that little Smith & Wesson 642 .38. It shoots prettyacurately for what I would condiser "close combat situations". Like you said, Rrasco, how many shots do you need? A guy within a handful of yards can get to you in no time. I don't know, I think it is a good idea to try out as many handguns as you can before you decide.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:13 AM

I'm sure someones lawyer would have a great time with you when engaging someone at such a distance. Kinda takes the self defense role out of things when talking that far. THE standards in bullseye, which is the extreme accuracy game, are the 38spl and 45 ACP, which has been the case for almost a hundred years.(also maybe 38 super) Unless you can stack all rounds in a quarter at ANY distance than any argument for accuracy is background noise. Everyone likes to talk about street scenarios like they're reliving dragonfighter II or something, c'mon there mall ninja, gimmie a break. All in all, I'd take 2 well placed 22lr over a misplaced 44mag. 9mm is no more acurate than 45 and 45 is no more accurate than 9mm. BUT, and thats a big BUT, the 45 is more consistant and has better charachteristics than the 9mm and is more easily duplicated for performance. Maybe thats why it's been a favorite for so long, long before the kool-aid drinkers showed up.

Quick Reply: HAHA - Another Gun Thread - Need Advice