Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gun Guys help with my sks

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gun Guys help with my sks

Hey tons of gun folks on here, so who can helo me with my sks. Im getting an aftermarket stock, http://www.combatstocks.com/ATI_SKS_...Stock_SALE.cfm This is the one I am looking at. I'm sure they are all kinda alike as far as installation goes. So any recommendations for aftermarket stock? Any tips on putting it on? Thanks yall. The rifle is the Yugo 59/66. Thanks again. edit I think sim gonna get the Tapco stock instead, so yeah, input on that anyone?

Old 11-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gun Guys help with my sks

Should be fine. As long as the stock is off, might as well glass bed it. You can pick up a kit from midwayusa.com for maybe 20 bucks, really simple to use, highly effective, can't hurt, just take your time and read the instructions. Not a fan of folding stocks myself but its your tastes that matter not mine. Word to the wise, get a good screw driver set, always nice to have when working on firearms. Regular screwdrivers are beveled up to the tip, gun-smithing screwdrivers are straight, giving you more contact on all bearing surfaces and not marring up the screw heads. Just one of those things you never really need untill you F something up from not having the proper tool and you wish you had one. Also, snug the stock screws up, don't crank them down. Shoot for accuracy, and give them a quarter turn at a time untill you hit that sweet spot in accuracybut don't overtighten. Now, this given that your shooting for precission which an SKS isn't known for, but, can't hurt if you want to wring every bit of potential from the rifle. If it's a plinker or a spray and pray fun gun, kindly dissregard 99% of what I just said and swap the stock out.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah bro, im gonna be using it for hunting mostly so acuuracy is defintely gonna be a plus.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 PM

Having owned two of the very firearm, you're going to be screwed when the bayonet doesn't close. Installation is a breeze as long as you know how to drop the trigger group. I have a tapco one right now and it is made to accommodate the bayonet. One more thing. The upper hand guard is a bitch to do so take my advise. Drill out one end of the rivet holding the plate on and push it out with a punch. Now.. find a finishing nail thats about a perfect fit in the hole. cut it off on both ends and use a sharp tipped punch to expand both sides. If the nail is too hard, heat it a few times with a torch and let it cool SLOWLY (usually they don't give you a replacement rivet). This is the best way i've found to do it, having done it probably 5 times. If anyone has better advise to offer, I'd love to hear it for my own benefit.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 PM

If you want some pictures I can go dig the one I still have out of the safe...

Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 PM

Just gotta comment on your avatar, I'm a huge OU fan, born and raised in N Texas, kinda 50/50 split with OU and UT fans up there with a few aggies thrown in. Anyway, not to be an ******* but why are you hunting with an SKS? Not an ideal caliber for most large game, battle accurate for sure, game accurate most of the time, target accurate, not worth the work to make it such. If it's close range herds of pigs in the red river valley its a good choice, but for an average deer rifle, you could be better served. Have you shot this rifle yet? What kind of groups are you holding and at what range? Really, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but for the same amount of money, you could get an NEF single shot in your choice of caliber and a good optic that would be a solid performer, and if your hunting ethically and pratice, you rarely need more than one clean, well placedshot.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you check out cheaperthandirt.com you can find almostanything for guns. They have a bunch of stocks for an sks. My brother got on for like $60 and it's really nice

Old 11-04-2008, 08:49 PM

I got my sks for 130 bucks and it gets decent groups at 100 yards. It could easily take down a deer. Plus it has a flip up grenade launcher sight.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 PM

I own one and most forums I read keep them stock. They said either the body wont fit the barrel well or its just not comfortable to shoot with aftermarket bodies.

I havent gotten to shoot mine in years.

I need to install on of those poly stops and a scope.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM

sound like you have the yugoslavian, the one with the awesome blade like bayonet. I had one like that with a scope and put the t6 adjustable stock with saw grip on it. it had a recess so you can keep the bayonet. It looked awesome and felt much lighter, the grip also gave it some stability. it's really easy to take apart, no tools really needed.

awesome gun but ammo isn't really cheap, don't buy the wolf crap..that **** jams on semi auto quicker than hell

Quick Reply: Gun Guys help with my sks