Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Guitars

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guitars

Anyone here play the guitar? (I know voodoochyl does, lol) I was looking at this one, any tips would help.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=517894

Old 11-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Guitars

It has an alder body which is pretty common, but I think ash/swamp ash is a better wood. Alder is fine, though. Also the Texas Special pickups are far superior to the Tex Mex (Stevie Ray vs. Jimmy Vaughn...). A maple fretboard is my preference other than mahagony...nice feel. The tremolo is as basic as it comes, but with a little modification it should stay in tune pretty well. I'd rather have a stock Fender trem than a Floyd Rose trem any day of the week. I hope you are going to go to the store and buy it. Each guitar is different, and as corny as it sounds, has its own personality and feel. I would go to Guitar Center and start pulling them off the wall and see which one fits best. What kind of amp are you playing through? I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deville (4-10's), but modified a bit by my amp tech. If you go to the store, make sure to plug into something that is similar to what you have at home, so it doesn't sound totally different when you bring the guitar home. I'd say this is a decent guitar especially for the price, but make sure you know exactly what you want before you buy so you get the best one for you. I bought my first Fender about 12 years ago and swore I would never own anything else. Great guitar choice. A Strat can do ANYTHING! I've since started having guitars built as I've gotten very picky about what I want in a guitar, but they still are made of all Fender liscensed parts (neck and body). Wait till I post pics of the one that is being made for me right now!!! Anyway, good luck and if you had any questions, pm me. I love talking about guitars!!!

Old 11-17-2006, 07:10 PM

It's a good guitar, but how much are you willing to spend? I've been playing guitar for 12 yrs now and I've owned 2 American strats. If you have your heart set on a Strat, American made is worth the money. They were both great guitars. If I had it to do over again I woulda saved my $$$ and gotten a G&L. They are made from better wood and, in my opinion, come with better finishes. Check out eBay for a used G&L. You may be able to find one in your price range, but it might have some character to it (by "character" I mean scuffs and scratches).
I sold all my electrics, and now I just play acoustic. I have a Seagull acoustic/electric, and it is THE BEST sounding acoustic under $1000.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Retired Moderator

Leo Fender, founder of Fender guitars, sold the rights to his name and later founded G&L guitars. Either way, you are beneficiary of an absolute genious!

Old 11-17-2006, 09:08 PM

The key to buying a guitar is deciding what style of guitar you like. Typical styles are Strat, Telecaster, Les Paul, SG, Explorer, and the Flying V, which are Fender and Gibson based. From there other manufacturers have taken their own take on these styles. Once you decide on the style of guitar, you then have to think about the woods. Some woods have a brighter tone while others are darker. The wood on the neck also plays a big role because each wood has it's own feel. Then come the electronics. Active vs. passive pickups, piezo bridge saddles, active controls vs. passive controls, and a bunch of different configurations. Or if you want a completely versatile guitar you can check out the guitar made by Line 6 which emulates all of the guitar classics and pickup selections.

I own 4 guitars: 2 LTD Vipers (6 and 7 string) which are based on the Gibson SG, a Music Man Axis, and a Carvin DC727 (7 string). The LTD's have become my main guitars mainly because I love the Viper body.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:41 PM

sorry guy....can't help much with that.. i play a jackson dxmg with 2 emg 81's through a crate gt 1200h half stack through an array of pedals. mostly metallica. i know EVERYONE knows how to play SOME metallica...i just like the REAL s#!t!!! kill 'em all, lightening, and puppetz.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:54 PM

When George Fullerton joined forces with Leo Fender to make G&L it was like an epiphany. Leo was still making the same great guitars (some even better), but, because of the Fender namesake, G&L didn't get into the mainstream too much.
Oh man what I would give to get my hands on an ASAT!!

Old 11-18-2006, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the replies... I was looking for kind of a Mike Mccready sound. Like on "Evenflow", looked up the guitar that was used and it was a Fender American Strat. I'm just starting out with guitars so I'm no genius. lol...

Old 11-18-2006, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mauldenm

...i just like the REAL s#!t!!! kill 'em all, lightening, and puppetz.
+1
[sm=hail.gif]

[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Retired Moderator

Get the Strat...it's a great guitar to start on and you can always upgrade later. I am not possitive, but I think Mccready plays through Marshall stacks (not my favorite), but I think he is trying to emulate my man, Jimi. Get a tube screamer (Ibanez), and a rotovibe (Dunlop?) and rock and roll! Also, see if you can find a Fat Strat or California Fat Strat because they have the Texas Specials in them...AWESOME pickup!

Quick Reply: Guitars