Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Guitar Chords that piss me off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guitar Chords that **** me off.

Split Chords:
F/A
D/C
D/B
etc.

oh yeah, and 'B' can kiss my ***. I've always hated you.

That is all.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Default RE: Guitar Chords that **** me off.

hey bro you wouldnt happen to have some tabs you could email me would you? im dying for some new music

Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Retired Moderator

If you practice enough, you will laugh in the face of chords that used to oppose you. I swear. If you are having a hard time, you are not practicing enough. If you have practiced and practiced and practiced and practiced...and still can't get it, you might try guitar hero instead.

P.S. I am serious about practice, though.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 AM

Well depending on what your doing. If your playing with a band, and you come across these chords. You can get away with just the root chord. Like F/A just play the F. And let the piano player or something do the filling in. I find alot of times, it's a piano chord anyways.
Afew chords it's just a tiny lil change, that you have to remember, if the song needs it. Like Radioheads Karma Police. It has a Am/F#. Which is just simply pulling off your middle finger from the 4th string, and putting it on the 6th string 2nd fret (the F# note) while still playing the Am.
I dunno if that helps at all, it's just practice.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the "B" chord for *** kissing... i have trouble with that one too.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

If you practice enough, you will laugh in the face of chords that used to oppose you. I swear. If you are having a hard time, you are not practicing enough. If you have practiced and practiced and practiced and practiced...and still can't get it, you might try guitar hero instead.

P.S. I am serious about practice, though.
Yeah I've been playing for about 15 years. I was in a band for many many years, but I played bass... so... i cheated. I hardly ever practice with the 6 string compared to the bass, but I can't impress the ladies with the bass.

I'm not tone deaf or anything, so I've got tons of talent. My primary goal is to, within the next few years, be that guy in the bar that sings lame songs to the 18 year olds at college bars. Well, maybe not. I can only play 'pour some sugar on me' so many times before i throw up everywhere.

More practice it is. I need a new guitar... but, man, I love dumping money into the bike

i also need an effects pedal. If I sounded good, I'd get way more into practice. What would you recommend voodoo? I've been saving $300-$400 for one.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: thegreenbandit

Well depending on what your doing. If your playing with a band, and you come across these chords. You can get away with just the root chord. Like F/A just play the F. And let the piano player or something do the filling in. I find alot of times, it's a piano chord anyways.
Afew chords it's just a tiny lil change, that you have to remember, if the song needs it. Like Radioheads Karma Police. It has a Am/F#. Which is just simply pulling off your middle finger from the 4th string, and putting it on the 6th string 2nd fret (the F# note) while still playing the Am.
I dunno if that helps at all, it's just practice.
Yeah I usually cheat with those chords. I can easily transition to a lot of those split chords if I play 3 of the 6 strings. I'm just a perfectionist i guess.

I also hate the sounds of going from a bar-chord to a non-barred chord. FX pedals FTW.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:38 AM

Learn this song dude http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...;search=Search

Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Retired Moderator

Fly,
I luvs talking music and instruments!!! Okay, sounding good (tone), is a life long quest in my opinion. I am ALWAYS trying to improve my tone and that is done several ways:

1) Guitar pick-ups...not only single coil, humbuckers, active, and passive, but who makes the pick-up. The drag about pick-ups is you can't hear how they sound in your guitar until after they are in.

2) Amp...please use a tube amp. They rule. You can get modeling amps with the effects in them, but they are un-natural sounding to my ears, unless you like that processed kind of sound. Also, how you adjust your EQ on the amp is very important and changes depending on the room you are playing in. Every place sounds different and you have to make minor adjustments. My out of the box setting for my '59 Bassman reissue is LOW: 4 (out of 12), MIDS: 3-5 (lots of mids sound like **** to me), HIGHS: 4.

3) Guitar...guitars are made out of various *tonewoods*. Alder, Ash, Korina, and my personal favorite Swamp Ash, to name a few. They all have different tonal charactaristics. I've found a cheap guitar sounds cheap and a good guitar sounds good. You would be surprised at how much guitar you can get for your money if you order from Warmoth and have a local guy put the guitar together for you. Just a thought, but a lot of research.

4) Strings...swear to Baby Jesus this makes a huge difference. I play 11 gague strings and they sound rich and good. SRV played 13 gague strings...and his tone is legendary. It is rumored that he would tear up his finger tips so badly that he would put superglue on them, adheer them to his forearm, and rip away. Tuning down 1/2 step also makes the tone really warm and rich.

5) To answer the question...Effects...so many options! I like an Ibanez Tube Screamer or a Boss Overdrive pedal modded by the Analog Man (use Google). You have to crank the amp to get a good distortion tone with those pedals however, and livingroom level isn't as good. I like using delay (also Boss), and am currently lookig for a Voodoo Lab tremolo pedal. Wah pedal is a must...I have an Ibanez Sceamin Deamon that is okay, but Crybaby's are popular, and I have heard the Steve Vai Bad Horsie by Morley is killer. I think Phase Shifter, Flanger, and Chorus pedals are stupid and a waste of money. You can also get one of those modeling multi-effect set ups by POD or something by BOSS/Roland. Not my cup of tea, but you have limitless options with those.

Sorry for such a long post. I am very passionate about gear. I think you should think of your favorite guitar players, and research what they use. Then, go to Guitar Center (I hate that place), and plug into everything you can until something sounds good to you. Keep in mind, though, the best way to get better at playing is to practice without any effects. Good luck bro, and feel free to ask about gear anytime.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 PM

chords? what are these chords you speak of...lol

MY BASS LAUGHS IN THE FACE OF THESE 'CHORDS'!!!

Quick Reply: Guitar Chords that piss me off.