Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Group rides with newbies

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group rides with newbies

Alright my friend just got a gsxr 600 and we want to go for a ride. But this is his first bike and hes been on it twice. Last thing I want is for him to crash or run into me. Any advice? Should he practice more b4 we go riding?

Any of you guys had an experience like this? Thanks!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Ahh, to be a FNG again...

I know when I first started riding I was super nervous to cruise with my buddies thinking I'd do something stupid. I would start small (like just the 2 of you) and take him through areas you're both familiar with at low speeds. Stick with single file until he learns lane positioning. It still drives me nuts when I'm out for a solo cruise and random riders will crowd me in my lane or at a stoplight.

Explain the importance of respecting the fact that you are on two wheels and a lot more susceptible to the elements. It will make for a lot safer solo and group rides. And for goodness sakes, get him on a HONDA.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:56 PM

+1 ^^^^

If he does come along with a group, don't put him in the middle of the pack, he should be in the rear, but be careful and make sure he doesn't fall and get left behind.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 PM

If it's his second time EVER on a bike, he shouldn't even being going out in traffic. Take him to an open lot and coach him there.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:54 PM

lol I did make fun of his sosucki

damn i love being a honda guy

how slow should i go for him? and should I set a good example and take corners real slow or should I show him my knee draggin?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:54 PM

lol i like it when ppl dont like when i pull up next to them. im use to dirtbikes. where youre like 1 ft away and flying thru turns. but i also like to wheelie between 2 cars on the 2 lanes... but thats why cody doesnt have a liter bike. just a f2 :\

Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM

When you guys do go out, you should ride behind him and watch how he rides. That way you can give him pointers and any advice that you have. I know when I rode with my friend it helped out greatly to have his advice on my lane positioning and how I approached turns. Make sure he knows not to ride out of his limits too.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 AM

2nd time riding? he needs to be practicing in a parking lot

if you choose to go out on the road, leave him in front so you can do what darkside said; point out his wrong doing AND so he wont clip you from behind

Old 07-01-2009, 02:25 AM
June 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by Ryans CBR
If he does come along with a group, don't put him in the middle of the pack, he should be in the rear, but be careful and make sure he doesn't fall and get left behind.
Ummm are you being sarcastic?

The general consensus by MSF instructors and riding coaches is that newbs go in front, directly behind the lead rider, and most experienced riders go in the back of groups. There are lots of reasons for that. For 1 it allows them to ride at their own pace rather than being pressured into riding above their limits. It also allows the more experienced riders to critique and evaluate their riding, and then give them pointers. The more experienced riders are able to focus on the road and hazards ahead of the newb, and are more likely to avoid the riders in front of them if the worst does happen. And... they wont run into you if they are in front. Also, having your faster riders at the back keeps things going smooth because they can catch up more easily when they get stuck in traffic or at lights.

Not that the guys I rode with ever followed this when I was learning, but the pressure I felt to keep up is why I stress the importance of ride-order.

The AMA suggests having an experienced rider go in the immediate front on larger group rides, which makes sense. Then followed by the least experienced riders directly behind, and the other experienced riders running sweep. But, what does the AMA know

Last edited by WhiteKnite; 07-01-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteKnite
The general consensus by MSF instructors and riding coaches is that newbs go in front,

WORD.

In fact, MSF says you shouldn't ride in a pack AT ALL until you've got about 500 street miles under your belt. The constant minor adjustments necessary to ride that close to other people and not clip them is generally too much for a noob, who's still getting used to just maintaining balanced control in general.

Beyond that, it's best to have the noob lead, as then it just becomes a coaching lesson, and they just happen to have more than one coach behind them.

Quick Reply: Group rides with newbies