Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Group ride, am I missing somthing??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group ride, am I missing somthing??

OK, I found a site for riders in my area, sign up to the forum and in short order, find a ride for yesterday. We meet up at a local gas station, 4 of us, no-one knows each other, one guy on a gsxr600, another on a ducati monster, and a guy on a zxr600 and me on my 1Krr. So we take off, guy on the gsxr leading, keeping good pace, pretty quick I guess he knew the route not to have cops on it, we were buzzing along, get lunch at this neat little joint, the ducati guy takes the lead and just plain rips it. Seemed like he was going for pole position or something, every curve or speet limmit sign he saw he doubled, sometimes passing cars at over 100mph on rural, two lane twisty roads. At that point I kinda backed off. I'm out there to ride and have fun, not compete, I wasn't familiar with these roads, so just hung back at my own pace with the guy on the Kawi. GSXR dude was on his *** the whole time as ducati guy lead, but when gsxr guy lead, he kept it fun for everybody. SO.....whats the consensus on group riding? Ride at your own pace, or look for riders that have the same goals as you for the ride? Easy going, sight see, or ***** out rip it? I like to have fun and all, not trying to be a grannie or anything, but I'm in no hurry to dump my ride or prove anything. Just seems the Ducati guy was trying to show his ***. Who knows, I really don't know any of them so not criticizing or anything, seemed nice enough, But when I ride with a group, we usually stick together and have fun, not simply warp speed leave guys behind. So....am I wrong here, need to pick it up a notch or this guy just beng inconsiderate? I haven't done much group riding, so not familiar with any unspoken rules of the road so to speak. Any ideas?

Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Group ride, am I missing somthing??

always ride within your limits bro. there is no point in pushing yourself to try and keep up with someone who is riding dangerously . when i ride i ride with people i trust. even my best friend of 18 years rides like an ******* sometimes but i trust him enough to know that if i tell him to knock it off and just keep a lid on it he will and it makes the ride for everyone so much better. because really who wants to be riding with friends and then get seperated because people are riding 2 different paces. we will switch off on who leads but we keep it together. roll like soldiers ride like family

Old 04-01-2007, 06:24 PM

Thats what I was thinking. At some points I was like..."what the hell am I doing!" And I slowed it up some. I'd hate to have seen what would have happened if we passed the fuzz. Wish it were a bit slower so I could take in some of the view, beautiful scenery, but I was wired in on the road and keeping my machine on two wheels.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ST, I screen my ride'n buddyz well. A person can't afford, not to... the dirty little secret...60% of wrecks, happen in a group. I would leave the group... or catch up at the next stop... and trash the Duc rider well. Ask all involved... what do you want to do???, ride like idiot child, or ...???? If they can't come to a quick consensis... color me gone... we all can ride over our head, by choice... easily, i refuse to let some one else dictate when.I look for like minded riders... pays loads, in the fun of it all.
Free and clean, Ripp'n

Old 04-01-2007, 08:16 PM

Sounds like the Ducati rider was with the wrong group. I go for rides that sometimes have a few hundred bikes, all sorts, from Triumph Tridents (2000 + cc) to someone on a scooter. Its a weekend ride, Most of us break up into groups, some go nuts and are the ones that usually are a head, (I sort of fit in the middle, I like the idea of getting there & enjoying the ride, with the odd rush of blood to the head) then there are the ones that follw up behind, usually stopping for their 18th coffee & a browse of the antique stores on the way. Wots interesting though, is when we 1st start off, everyone seems to have the blood up & do silly things. My mate that I go with, usually likes to try and keep up with the "Dudes", overtakes on double lines, blind corners, till he scares himself ****less & then slows it down.
Anyway, wot I really want to say, riding in the right group can be a real buzz, you can get into a "sync". and can go beyond wot you thought was your limit of ablility (without going nutso) gives you a chance to copy someone else's riding style (or they copy yours). Don't give up on the idea just because of one ****** (Someone on a Ducati, should have been a dead give away)

Old 04-01-2007, 08:30 PM

Group rides are tough. No matter what, you have to ride your ride and not try to do anything you aren't comfortable with. There is a local club that puts on group rides with members and non-members. The groups are large enough where there are faster riders, medium, and slow. They let everyone know the basic route. When the faster riders get to a point where there is a turn off, they stop and wait. They emphasize not to ride over your abilities or even to push your limits. Go at a comfortable pace for you and know that you won't get left behind - they will wait at the checkpoints until all arrive.

Now, I have been on small group rides with 3 or 4 others where I have left the group right in the middle of the ride. I didn't know these people and I was sure some of them were going to crash and I did not want to get caught up in their mess when they went down. Rider's going way too fast for their abilities, crossing over double yellow lines because they couldn't handle the corner speed, etc. I'm not gonna go down or watch someone else die just so they can try and prove they are fast. Just not worth it.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

SO.....whats the consensus on group riding? Ride at your own pace, or look for riders that have the same goals as you for the ride?
It should be both! You always ride your own ride, regardless of what the rest of the group is doing. And it should also be the case that you guys have the same kind of ride in mind.

Easy going, sight see, or ***** out rip it?
There are no set rules. Its ultimately up to the group and the riders of the group. Some groups like to take it easy, while others go ***** out. Just remember that there are no trophies to be had at the end of the day. What is the reward in risking your lives and others???

Old 04-01-2007, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

always ride within your limits bro.
Best advice EVER!!!!!11

Old 04-01-2007, 08:59 PM

I ran with a bunch of crazy Harley guys out in the sticks last weekend and we were well within my limits at some pretty good speeds most of the roads were straight cuz we all know Harleys cant do twisties.But there was a point after tearin off at every stop sign i was wondering what was the sense.The ones in front who were leading were creating the accordian effect and had even lost a few riders to just flat out too much speed.I hung in the middle safe distance from the front.... riding my own ride but i do think there comes a time when u need to wonder if its ok to just abort and turn around.I mean afterall alot of times u never see the same people after a group ride....LOL..But i ride my own ride...as should we all

Old 04-01-2007, 09:06 PM

Cool. I thought you guys would have the same idea as me about this whole gig. Dude on the GSXR is acool guy. As we were riding, he'd flash the tail lights when there was gravel or dirt built up in the road, he kept a good pace but never left anyone. After the ride, he called and was like,"we should go out again only at a better pace to have some fun, I just wasn't gonna let that guy (ducati guy) run away from me.But shoulda been a better ride than that." I thought you guys would have some mature, rational, responses to this, so thanks to all. Just needed to double check that I wasn't missing something or was ignorant to a few things.

Quick Reply: Group ride, am I missing somthing??