Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Greek Tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greek Tragedy

Well, it might be the end of the road for my F-2. Iwrecked yesterday about noon.

I was riding with a friend named Lucky (really his name, I **** you not)on some backcountry twisties on 258 from Newcomerstown to Stillwater, Ohio. I was feeling great about the turns, making quick transitions through switchbacks, and started taking them at higher speeds. I was followingmy buddywho has a lot more experience on these type of roads. After about an hour, I got cocky and thought he was being too safe and going too slow around the turns, so I passed him on a straightaway (bad idea). About five miles later, I hit a patch of gravel around a sharp left turn, panicked anddid all the wrong things:
[ol][*]I hit the front brake right away. The bike stood up and headed for the guard rail.[*]I started to recover and countersteered (I was off the gravel now) to turn again (guard rail was coming up fast) and the bike started to lean, butnot quickly enough.I ended up on the shoulder opposite the apex (more gravel) and started to lose traction again, at which point I locked the rear wheel.[*]The back end of the bike started to slide so that the front end was pointing at the guard rail again and in a last ditch effort I turned the bar to the left. [/ol]

H-I-G-H-S-I-D-E! I flew upand over the handlebars. My left shoulder hit first, then my head. I rolled for a while, and ended up about 40 feet from the bike. When I turned around, I saw the bike wedged under the guardrail with the rear tire way above the ground. The tank came disconnected at the front mount and was pointing upand the front fairing was smashed.

We pulled it out and I stabbed my hand with something sharp that was either on the bike or the guardrail, and it starts gushing blood. Besides some bruises and some super light rash on my left forearm (looks like rugburn), that was my only injury. I was lucky. Thankfully, there was firefighter driving through the area with a first aid kit.

Crazy thing wasthat aguy on a '07 600rr laid his down right after he passed me, about 1/2 mile behind us. This must have happened at about the same time, because he turned around right after his wreck, and i talked to him right after I got mine on its wheels.

Had a bad feeling about this one all week. I kept picturing myself hitting the ground. Wierd huh? Self fulfilling prophecy, I guess. That being said, I should have taken it easy, or not ridden at all. It was the first timeI'd beenon these roads (which are pretty tricky), and the first time riding with Lucky. I've got 5 years experience, but not on roads so advanced. I pushed too hard too fast. You know, I thought I knew all the right things to do in a situation like this, but instead, did nothing right. My instincts kicked in and they failed me.

The bike's a mess...The fairing stays up front are bent, so are the headlight brackets, and the pillars. The gauge cluster iscrooked from the pillar being tweaked, windshield is in pieces, and the front fairing is gone. Judging by how badly the bike was wedged under the guardrail, the forks are probably bent, but I'll get them tested to know for sure. The rear of the bike looks fine.

I think the supply line from the tank came disconnected, because whenI tried to start it, gas started pouring out. Hopefully, It still runs. Anything I should keep in mind when fixing it up (if it's even worth it, that is)?

BTW, If everything checks out, I need a front fairing and a windshield. Can any one hook me up? What about sharkskinz? They have a one piece front end that looks pretty nice.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Default RE: Greek Tragedy

Sorry to hear about your wreck man. Riding outside your limits is all too common in riding. This sort of thing happens to the best riders tho. Just when you think you've tamed the beast it bites you square on the a$$. That my moto that has saved me more than a few times. Just think about that when you want to try something that might be over your riding capabilities

Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Shortysboy09

Just when you think you've tamed the beast it bites you square on the a$$. That my moto that has saved me more than a few times. Just think about that when you want to try something that might be over your riding capabilities
Thanks for the advice man. I just wonder how you really get better without pushing the limits a bit. I guess the answer is to get to the track, but that's expensive (worth every penny, I'm sure, but still expensive).

BTW, I'll post pics when I get around to it.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 AM

Scary wreck -- glad you're ok.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:02 AM

you will look at things in a different way which will make a you better rider now. thats what happend when i crashed. i got cut off by a car almost recovered but hit some gravel and went down... but i think i am a better rider becasue of wut happend in that fraction of a sec. i learned a lot and im sure you will have learned a lot from you mistake as well. and the most important thing is you can type about it now.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 AM

p.s. i like your alias, i study greek myth. and greek culture, its my fav. thing to study history wise.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Damn man, glad to hear your okay. I can't believe that you didn't break anything, it had to be one hard hit. Hope to hear about the bike getting ready for another day, takes a lot to put a Honda out of commission.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Retired Moderator

I think you have to be patient with your riding skills. You have a whole lifetime to get better. You already know you went past your skill set, so there is no reason to harp on that. I would say, get to a track day. I have read so many times about how guys feel after their first track day. Their skills and confidence goes through the roof. Good luck on the bike repair, and glad you ended up okay.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Hatebreed

you will look at things in a different way which will make a you better rider now.
I certainly hope so...

ORIGINAL: Hatebreed

p.s. i like your alias, i study greek myth. and greek culture, its my fav. thing to study history wise.
Yeah, me too.My family is all Greek so that makes the connection all the more interesting.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Dude, really glad to hear you're ok...to many deaths lately. Sounds like you almost had a fire potential with the gas tank becoming dislodged. I hope you can get her back together. Let us know how the repair progresses.

Again..thank god you're ok!!

[sm=smiley32.gif]

Quick Reply: Greek Tragedy