Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

got put in my place

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default got put in my place

welliwas out riding yesterday with a group of guys i just meet within the last month there was about 12 bikes we were hitting the twisties pretty good and this kid joe is an amazing rider dragging his knee through all the tight corners and i was behind him and went into this corner too fast and went way wide into the other lane and put my foot down thank god i did not loose it about 1 minute later my other buddy chases us down and lets us know that 2 just went down in the same curve i almost lost it on it was the owner of the bike shop in my hometown and a new rider the owner was on a tricked out zx14 he broke his collar bone and barely scratched the bike wich can all be buffed out and the kid behind him just panicked and dropped his bike broke one of his front blinkers and that was it. the guy behind me told me it looked like i was riding a dirt bike when i went through the corner lol thought that was funny. b ut it made me realize that you need to ride at your pace and not anyone elses. and if their is any one who could talk to me and try and help me on what i did wrong and try and help me to take corners better would be nice thanks

Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: got put in my place

It could be as simple as riding out of your limit. How did you take the corner for entry? Were you looking all the way through? What were you doing in the corner?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: flashman

It could be as simple as riding out of your limit. How did you take the corner for entry? Were you looking all the way through? What were you doing in the corner?
honestly i dont know what i did it just happened to fast i just want to be able to take corners the way that kid was in front of me maybe im just to scared to lean off the bike the way he does i dont know man its kinda frustrating because hes only been riding like 2 yrs and ive been riding 5

Old 06-02-2008, 11:29 PM

those lil signs on the side of the road may help too tho I have a hard time reading em at times too lol.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I know a lot of people (specially young guys) think its lame, but when we get a group like that for twistys you have to try and setup ahead of time. Let the good riders go first so you know your not slowing them down. Then explain to everyone, (yes sometimes it just has to be said outloud) to ride your own pace, and when we get out of the turns the leaders will stop and wait to regroup. I know it may sound lame, but its good to know you wont get left behind, or get in others way. Then everyone can ride their ride and enjoy it.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Registered Users

Everytime i go to the twisties with a group we have a short conversation about riding at your own pace. I always try to ride at about 7/10ths of what i think i can do. give it a good healthy go, but not pushing to what i think my limit is. Dont concentrate on the rider infront of you. Watch the road, move your body, and look through the turns.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

I know a lot of people (specially young guys) think its lame, but when we get a group like that for twistys you have to try and setup ahead of time. Let the good riders go first so you know your not slowing them down. Then explain to everyone, (yes sometimes it just has to be said outloud) to ride your own pace, and when we get out of the turns the leaders will stop and wait to regroup. I know it may sound lame, but its good to know you wont get left behind, or get in others way. Then everyone can ride their ride and enjoy it.
well i can ride decent but this courve was really hard a homeowner that we parked in driveway said that 5 people have been killed their just this year so its a hard curve but i want to be able to take it fast like the kid in front of me did.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: pitbull#1

well i can ride decent but this courve was really hard a homeowner that we parked in driveway said that 5 people have been killed their just this year so its a hard curve but i want to be able to take it fast like the kid in front of me did.
I don't think that you couldn't have taken the turn as fast as him, I just think you were looking at him taking the corner, instead of you looking through it and making your own line........

When I went to the Superbike School, I couldn't figure out why I was doing so well on the corners by myself, but when I had to follow the track coach through the corners, it didn't feel right and I always went wide, missing the apex. Then my track coach said that when I was by myself, I was looking through the corner and carving out my own line. He said that just about everyone has a tendency to look at the rider ahead of them instead of looking through the corner and making their own line through the corner.

So, after we had a talk, we went back out onto Laguna Seca for a few more laps of practice, and wouldn't you know it, I caught myself doing it again. So everytime I came to a corner, I would just tell myself to look through the corner, and problem solved. The awkward feel and missing the apex went away and didn't have anymore problems with it since.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Sproutf3

Everytime i go to the twisties with a group we have a short conversation about riding at your own pace. I always try to ride at about 7/10ths of what i think i can do. give it a good healthy go, but not pushing to what i think my limit is. Dont concentrate on the rider infront of you. Watch the road, move your body, and look through the turns.
+100000....

I always do the same thing. And when we ride in a bigger group (usually 7 of us) we leave each other a good space between. On one tight twistie rd ,we call it the mini Laguna Seca (cork screw & all) we stop at the beginning and give a 10-15 second gap between us.

One HUGE thing ive noticed rollin super close (ask Be vertical :P )to my boy Dom all the time (live in the same house so we
usually always roll together) Is try to "almost" ignore the rider in front of you and watch YOUR line.. keep an eye on him with
your peripheal(sp) and watch the exit.. Sometimes i watch his tail and i start going wide or too tight

EDIT: Blue fox is a fast typer..

Old 06-02-2008, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

When I went to the Superbike School, I couldn't figure out why I was doing so well on the corners by myself, but when I had to follow the track coach through the corners, it didn't feel right and I always went wide, missing the apex. Then my track coach said that when I was by myself, I was looking through the corner and carving out my own line. He said that just about everyone has a tendency to look at the rider ahead of them instead of looking through the corner and making their own line through the corner.

So, we went back out onto Laguna Seca for a few more laps of practice, and wouldn't you know it, I caught myself doing it again. So everytime I came to a corner, I would just tell myself to look through, and problem solved. The awkward feel and missing the apex went away and didn't have anymore problems with it since.

Do you think you were looking at the rider ahead of you, and not through the corner? Or in better terms, do you remember how the rider ahead of you took the corner? If you do, you were watching him, not looking through the corner.
yeah i watched him for a split second but i dont think it mattered anyway because i dont lean like im supposed to. i still have an inch of chicken strips on my tire and i wont to lose them

Quick Reply: got put in my place