Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Got a major scare today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a major scare today...

I had a career scare today. Actually it started yesterday. My District manager calls out of the blue and asks me what I am doing, and says he needs to take me to lunch tomorrow. In three years he has never done that. With the economy so slow, my C- results in slinging backhoes, dozers, scissor lifts and the like, and my stores spectacular inability tohit our budget, I was sure I was getting fired. It kept me up all last night tossing and turning. I felt sick to my stomach allmorning andwondered what I was going to do for a living. What was I going to tell my wife...I wouldn't have a truck anymore, I wouldn't have a house anymore, I wouldn't have a life anymore. So about noon he calls and says he is on his way over from the next town down I-5. It took him an hour and a half to go the thirty miles and that has to have been the longest 90 minutes of my life. So he picks me up and we get to the restaurant. He says that he can tell I am nervous, and I explained how I haven't had a lick of sleep or peace since he called me yesterday. It has been so slow at work, that theylaid off1/3 of our crew and I have had to be in the store three days a week to help out, and in the field only two days a week. That is three days a week that I am not putting money in my pocket. He tells me that he is going to get someone else to work at the office and is giving me a bigger territory (one that is growing like crazy). He did say that I have to prove myself or I could verylikely get the axe. He said I could go back to hourly and be off the hot seat, or I can bust my butt out in the field and prove why they hired me at the position. I decided to stay on the hot seat for the high risk high reward option. I could very well be posting how I lost my job in six months, but I hope not. I actually feel very possitive right now.

Sorry for dumping on everybody, but I have never felt so helpless before. I felt emasculated thinking about how I wasn't going to be able to provide for my family. Something I never do is be thankful for all the lovely things I have. A beautiful wife that loves me, wonderful kids,a great job, my health, my music, my motorcycle. Man, I sure take alot for granted...well not anymore. Count your blessings everybody. If you take a personal inventory, I'll bet you have a lot to be thankful for, too. Thanks for listening, my friends.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Banned
Default RE: Got a major scare today...

The economy will be showing signs of life very soon. The first of the rate cuts were last summer, they take 6 months to have an effect, there have been other rate cuts sinceand one earlier this week. This economy will bemoving wellby October, but signs of life will be happening as early as this summer. Also, expect a stronger dollar and lower oil soon, that will help.

6months may be tricky, not out of the question, but if you can endure a year, you will be fine, actually better than fine. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Hang in there man, i have no doubts you will be successful

Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 PM

At least you're looking at the positive side. keep your chin up!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:00 PM

im glad your feeling positive, that is good for your mental health keep it positive.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned

Hang in there Voo. Sounds like you have a chance to really prove your great worth and maybe make some big advancements with your company. I would look at it as a good thing. They are giving you a chance to sink or swim and I am sure you know how to swim.

I am going through a big scare myself. The only contractor I worked for in the month of April called me this morning to inform me he does not have my April's billing and is not sure when he can pay. Not good.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:22 PM

Hey, buddy. I hope everything comes through for you. You're a good guy and you deserve it. Good luck, mang!!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Retired Administrator

Just one question... in your list of things you're thankful for, why is the bike last??? None of that crap of save the best for last.

Must be a rough week for a lot of us. Not job wise for me, but damn... everything I own is breaking. Why the hell did I buy a Chevy! If only Honda made a vehicle I liked.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Dont worry Voodo...I could drop you off in the middle of the desert naked....and you would show up a week later with a set of clothes and a 12 pack under your arm. Unfortunately, the only way you get ahead in life is to take a chance. Your doing the right thing, life comes down to a few moments and this is one of them. If you work hard, if you are honest, if you get educated, the odds are OVERWHELMING in this country that you will succeed. You got what it takes, go make the most of it!!!

RED [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takes large hairy ones to take a risk like that my friend but you could play it safe and still have the same unhappy outcome .. with the riskier journey however, you can reap greater rewards and even if things don't work out, you won't be left wondering "what if" and should feel confident knowing you took a risk on yourself and not on something you have less control over. If twenty five years of entrepreneurship has taught me one thing it is that you can't play it safe, you have to take CALCULATED risks like gambling all the freaking time to stay one step ahead or you become complacent and fall behind. Sounds like you took a wise calculated risk .. but now is the hard part where you have to go out there and make that pay off.

Quick Reply: Got a major scare today...