Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Got humbled

Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got humbled

Yolie is such a wonderful bike, it's easy to take for granted how much she contributes. Too many times, ppl on bikes see she's a BMW and try to take her. Most I ignore since they don't stand a chance (anything under a liter). Every once in a while I'll run her up a bit, just enough to let them know they can't beat her, usually backing off near the speed limit (it doesnt usually take more than that). But I got reminded by another rider

Was out riding early yesterday, just enjoying the cooler temps before it got hot. I saw a black sport bike up ahead and it looked familiar. Caught him at a light and it was: 2012 Sapphire Black BMW s1000rr. At the light, he waved me to filter up to the light and greeted me when I did. Then he blipped the throttle a bit. I knew we were bout to hit a wide open 2 mile stretch of road, clear sight lines with 2 lanes both directions and a turn lane down the center. So I figured "why not?" and blipped it in response. Light changed and we took off... and he was gone.

Thoroughly humbled. He launched better, shifted better and took the sweepers better. From the light he took lead, pulled away at every shift and gained through the turns. Yolie might have been capable of keeping up but I wasn't. Didn't have what it takes to commit to catch him and knew he was managing his bike better. Flashed my highs and gave a double thumbs up.

Just saying the machine is only half the equation. Sometimes, more than half.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Its good to be put in your place every now and then. Keeps your head level. Props that you knew you couldn't catch him and didn't push it harder then you could handle.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Its good to be put in your place every now and then. Keeps your head level. Props that you knew you couldn't catch him and didn't push it harder then you could handle.
Yeah, I think everyone could use a little humility every once in a while. Keeps away the arrogance

Like I said, I rarely take the challenge. And Yolie usually makes it over before it gets going. But another s1k (they're still rare round here)...

Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Yolie is such a wonderful bike, it's easy to take for granted how much she contributes. Too many times, ppl on bikes see she's a BMW and try to take her. Most I ignore since they don't stand a chance (anything under a liter). Every once in a while I'll run her up a bit, just enough to let them know they can't beat her, usually backing off near the speed limit (it doesnt usually take more than that). But I got reminded by another rider

Was out riding early yesterday, just enjoying the cooler temps before it got hot. I saw a black sport bike up ahead and it looked familiar. Caught him at a light and it was: 2012 Sapphire Black BMW s1000rr. At the light, he waved me to filter up to the light and greeted me when I did. Then he blipped the throttle a bit. I knew we were bout to hit a wide open 2 mile stretch of road, clear sight lines with 2 lanes both directions and a turn lane down the center. So I figured "why not?" and blipped it in response. Light changed and we took off... and he was gone.

Thoroughly humbled. He launched better, shifted better and took the sweepers better. From the light he took lead, pulled away at every shift and gained through the turns. Yolie might have been capable of keeping up but I wasn't. Didn't have what it takes to commit to catch him and knew he was managing his bike better. Flashed my highs and gave a double thumbs up.

Just saying the machine is only half the equation. Sometimes, more than half.
You are wise indeed! How many have paid the price (self inflicted) for not admitting to being in over their head? Thanks for posting and for the common sense reminder.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come to the track.. we got a day coming up through the dealership on the 16th.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reminds me of a story my roommate told me:

He owns a Nissan Sentra SpecV (2.5L 4 cyclinder, 6 speed manual)

Its a peppy ride, but not fast.

Anyway, hes at a stop light, and this minivan pulls up.

Guy in the drivers seat looks over, and my roommate knows its about to go down.

Light goes green, he stomps on it, and starts hauling.

Looks over, minivan is pulling hard, has about a half length ahead the whole time.

My buddy realizes he cant overtake, and falls in behind the minivan, lol.

Ride safe.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw my buddy in a mustang gt get smoked by a dodge durango at the strip once. That was pretty funny. He had the jump and everything.

But yeah..... in Kuro's case, it's all rider.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 AM

Yeah, I was put in my place not too long ago either..by a fellow f4i rider too lol. It really is nice to be shut down once in awhile. Thats just my .02 though. I like knowing I'm not the fastest, always something to aim for then. cheers and ride safe

Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Well you did the right thing.

Well not the street racing thing but the not pushing yourself into uncomfortable territory.

Put some time in at the track where you can relatively 'safely' test yourself and also get specific results of your progress from the launch to the traps. Then you'll learn what your doing right and/or wrong.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Self preservation comes first and is a great quality that keeps on giving in time
you'll be out front with someone else feeling humble - good call keep it within your scope.

Search this Thread