Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

good enough mistake? (speeding ticket)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good enough mistake? (speeding ticket)

So i got a speeding ticket on the way home from tennessee today....The money isn't an issue, but i WAS wondering....

The officer wrote on my ticket that i was traveling 55mph in a 71mph marked zone. Literally, he wrote the wrong speeds in the wrong blanks.

Anyone fight a ticket like this lol? Seems to me this is a pretty big mistake, not just mis-spelling some words.

-Adam

Old 07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: good enough mistake? (speeding ticket)

call and say the cop was drunk and you have proof

Old 07-06-2008, 07:17 PM

Lol, i have it were the cop wrote my bike was green when clearily it was dark blue and black... Fight it

Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

fight it ... why not if they say no you'll just have to pay it . nothing ventured nothing gained

Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 PM

A judge wouldnt throw it out..... I guess stranger things have happened though on technicalities

Old 07-06-2008, 07:31 PM
RCR

Either way you will be screwed. If your were going 55 in a 71 zone you would be impeding traffic. The judge can play too...

Old 07-06-2008, 07:34 PM

wow. lol. good luck. fight it and see what it gets ya. take that "1" and draw a "C" around it so it doesnt look like a weird number. lol. jk dont take my advice you will go to jail.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

Nah, those technicalities that everybody's "buddies" beat in court are just urban legends. No judge will throw out a silly mistake like that man, but like a few others said, no harm in trying.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:46 PM

No harm in trying, except for the $6 court fee or whatever it is in your state. But I doubt a judge would throw it out.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:48 PM

If that's all you have to offer in way of a defense I suggest taking a driver's improvement course before your court date. Depending on the judge he could give it consideration or simply shrug and ask if you have anything else to add before he renders his decision. I know that right now you're clinging to any shred of hope of getting out of this ticket and rightly so..I would be too After having suffered through countless court dates and having written over 3,000 citations in the last two years I was on the road I made plenty of mistakes. I'monly human.What actually matters is that I caught them before I testified and gave the correction to the judge.As far asthe officer writing 55 in a 71mph zone..it could go either way. Some judges are like Mr. Robinson and give you a warm & fuzzy and will lean your way. Others are the fire & brimstone type and would lock you up for doing 10 over if they could. I had one extremely liberal judge who would dismiss a ticket for the most minor of mistakes (wrong year of the vehicle) and another that could care less if the citation was written on a napkin...in crayon.

Whatever it ends up being I have two suggestions..

1. Get a lawyer. Yes, we all make our jokes about lawyers but please believe me when I say that a lawyer, specifically a good one, is worth their weight in gold. If I had an extra $10K laying around the first thing I'd do is put one on retainer. Even if your case is hopeless you have a chance of getting the speed reduced or even thrown out. Strangely enough quite a few defense attorneys and police officers are good friends, maybe not drinking buddies, but there is mutual respect. There were one or two lawyers I knew that I thought very highly of and they had a reputation for being straight up and ethical. They would occasionally come to me, let me know who they were representing, and ask if I could give their client any consideration.Personally, I'd never reduce a speed, but if I checked my notes and there were no notations about them being an idiot or belligerent I was willing to ask the judge for leniency on their behalf. 9/10 times thejudge would agree. If you hire a well-known weasel no officer will give him or her the time of day.Talk to any officers you know and anyone you know that got a citation and hired a lawyer. Get references and do your homework. Don't waste your time reading the how-to-beat-a-ticket sites where they tell you to drop a ball in court and ask the officer how fast it was traveling. You will only **** off the judge and get laughed at by everyone in the courtroom. Trust me, I've seen it enough times to where its not even funny anymore.

2. DO NOT get another citation between now and your court date. People were this close [] to getting a break until the judge's clerk pulled up out of the system thatthey received another citation two weeks after they recieved the one that they were appearing for that day. Two words to describe the situation at that point: not good.

EDITED TO ADD: If you happen to have an identical twin..bring him to court and have him at the defense table with you and have your lawyer ask the officer if he can positively identify which of you was operating the vehicle on the date of the violation. Game over. Happened to me once and I had to laugh.

Quick Reply: good enough mistake? (speeding ticket)