Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Good compact camera?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good compact camera?

OK, this year I'm definitely gonna get the mileage up. Yolie is begging to get let loose and she definitely can't do it in the city. 1st gear, even restricted, crosses the highway speed limit.

So if I'm out there, I wanna take some pics. My phone is OK. But the colors are usually off. And I don't feel like either backpacking or tank bagging up. So what's a good camera? I'm looking for true color representation. Example:

Name:  IMAG0136-1.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  70.3 KB

Even with auto-correction, my phone washes out the yellow.

Suggestions? Or how good are the Go Pros with color on stills?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

can still see some seriously wide chicken strips though

Nothing wrong with the contrast setting on the phone.

The Samsung MV 800 is a good compact cam imo

Myself - I've gone the other way - with a Nikon D5100 55-300mm lens etc
ya really can't beat DSLR for excellence

Last edited by Sprock; 02-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend used to use a little nikon coolpix point and shoot for his car and it was actually really good. It was only like $200 too. Just do a search for point and shoot cameras and im sure youll get tons of reviews and listings.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
can still see some seriously wide chicken strips though

Nothing wrong with the contrast setting on the phone.

The Samsung MV 800 is a good compact cam imo

Myself - I've gone the other way - with a Nikon D5100 55-300mm lens etc
ya really can't beat DSLR for excellence
Getting 1-2 days of riding a week, usually less than 10 miles and all commute. Road isn't getting a chance to snack Besides, I've never cared about chicken strips. Yolie doesn't seem to care either. She's far more interested in showing her *** to everything behind her

That's part of the interest behind a good pocket camera tho. I have to get out of the city to work on cornering. Ororo can take a corner easier than Yolie sorta. I can use more throttle, higher gears and I've got better throttle control. So if I'm gonna be out there playing, I may as well document the playgrounds

Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Olympus SP-600UZ and I'm pretty happy with it. It takes really good close ups, the super-macro is incredible in filming insects,flowers etc, and it has a wide angle lens to get those scenery photos too. The only bad things I have to say about it is it requires pretty much light to get good noise-free pics, and it consumes quite much power, so if you're going on a filming trip with it, bring extra batteries... The 600 is an obsolete model, but it's successors/ big brothers 800 and 810 are out there. An ultrazoom-camera is always a bit of compromise, because it's just not possible to get a good tele and marco in one tube, but it does eat most pocket cameras for breakfast... The Olympus PEN series is something to look at too. No experience of other makes so hard to make comparisons, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

A few samples of what the Olympus can do:

Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Kuro....that is REALLY sweet....IMO the GO PRO HERO 2 is rather meant for sports + action shooting video.

Not for still pics? thats just my opinion.

Name:  IMAG0136-1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  70.3 KB

Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
February 2012 ROTM

those pics are sweet mattson, how many mega pixels?

I just purchase a CANON POWERSHOT ELPH 300 HS 12.1 Mega Pixels. I never had a chance to go shoot outdoor/color phots yet. It's used mostly for work indoor. You can tell that we are in the NUT & BOLT business. Here is a few shoot from the new CANON 300HS:

Originally Posted by Mattson
I have an Olympus SP-600UZ and I'm pretty happy with it. It takes really good close ups, the super-macro is incredible in filming insects,flowers etc, and it has a wide angle lens to get those scenery photos too. The only bad things I have to say about it is it requires pretty much light to get good noise-free pics, and it consumes quite much power, so if you're going on a filming trip with it, bring extra batteries... The 600 is an obsolete model, but it's successors/ big brothers 800 and 810 are out there. An ultrazoom-camera is always a bit of compromise, because it's just not possible to get a good tele and marco in one tube, but it does eat most pocket cameras for breakfast... The Olympus PEN series is something to look at too. No experience of other makes so hard to make comparisons, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Since Kuro mention about color, i just took these indoor with my window blind open.

Taken using the CANON Power Shot Elph 300 HS - 12.1 Mega Pixel - full HD. The camera is smaller than an iphone, about 7/8" thick, size L X W of a business card

Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM

The Olympus SP-600UZ has 12 MP too. Not exactly a pocket camera:

but IMO it`s easier to handle (take stable pictures) since it`s NOT like a stack of credit cards...

Funny, that the best thing of this camera is also the thing that I hate most about it: the idiot-proof interface. It has been super-simplified so it doesn`t have options like manually ajusting shutter time or size etc. Actually playing with the manual settings other than in macro or supermacro-modes is pretty pointless, because the auto-setting takes the best pictures anyways...

Last edited by Mattson; 03-01-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Good compact camera?