Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

With the good comes the bad. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation With the good comes the bad. HELP!

So i finally got my shift boots in the mail today after ordering them 2 weeks ago. So far i love them. Very sturdy and i love the look of them. They arent to big or clunky and i can shift just how i always have.

Now the bad news. My wifes brakes started making a smell so i went to go look and the front passenger side had a squeak when the brakes were pressed. Not a metal squeak more like a rubber squeak but only after 15-20 mins of driving would it start. I took a video because there was smoke coming out of somewhere behind the wheel.

I took it to Meineke and had them check it out. They said this is what needs to be done. Front brake pads, resurface, seals, rear shoes, and then bleed the system. They put it back together cause nothing was very bad and i said i would either take it to them or do it myself in the next few days.

I went back home and noticed the smell was back after they said he didnt smell anything and i saw smoke so I took a video and took my bike to go show it to them. He said the bearings might be going bad and we can replace them with everything else.

The total cost to have them do it is 563.80.
Parts 393.80 labor 170.00

Now i have changed pads before and i have bleed a system before but it was on a bike. My question is should i be able to do this all myself or are special tools required for the bearings and seals?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM

No special tools that I can think of.......BTW nice boots, One of my riding buddies went down while wearing those boots. They got destroyed, but he still has his feet.

Attached Thumbnails With the good comes the bad. HELP!-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends what kind of car. You might need a shop press for the bearing. My question is Wth does the bearing have to do with a smoking front end. Get a second opinion.

For the seals you might need a run to the hardware store for dome pvc to make a driver

Old 01-26-2011, 05:40 PM

Bearings don't smell, they make noise. The smoke is from the caliper sticking and holding pressure on the rotor while it's being driven. The wheel should be hot after you have driven it long enough to smell/see smoke. You may be able to disassemble and clean the caliper to free it up. You'll probably need new pads and at least getting the rotors turned or replaced. It is best to do the same service to both driver's and passenger's side at the same time.

Edit 1: Oh, and rear shoes... how many miles are on this car? It really sounds like a bad shop, if you take it there (find somewhere else preferably) you should request to take all of the old parts with you.

Edit 2: The more I read your post the angrier I get. They didn't even listen to you. Then when you brought the video of the smoke they said bearings! Don't ever go back there unless it is to bitch them out. Tell all of your friends too. That is an easy diagnosis (sticking caliper) and should have been the first thing out of his mouth.

Edit 3: Forget everything they told you needs to be replaced except pads and turning rotors (or new ones). And if the caliper is too damaged you may need a new one of those too.

Last edited by Bumble; 01-26-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E14SEjO6x0I

Here is the video of the smoke. Only the first 10 seconds is good. Sorry. haha

Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bumble
Bearings don't smell, they make noise. The smoke is from the caliper sticking and holding pressure on the rotor while it's being driven. The wheel should be hot after you have driven it long enough to smell/see smoke. You may be able to disassemble and clean the caliper to free it up. You'll probably need new pads and at least getting the rotors turned or replaced. It is best to do the same service to both driver's and passenger's side at the same time.

Edit 1: Oh, and rear shoes... how many miles are on this car? It really sounds like a bad shop, if you take it there (find somewhere else preferably) you should request to take all of the old parts with you.

Edit 2: The more I read your post the angrier I get. They didn't even listen to you. Then when you brought the video of the smoke they said bearings! Don't ever go back there unless it is to bitch them out. Tell all of your friends too. That is an easy diagnosis (sticking caliper) and should have been the first thing out of his mouth.

Edit 3: Forget everything they told you needs to be replaced except pads and turning rotors (or new ones). And if the caliper is too damaged you may need a new one of those too.

Ya i wasnt gonna take it back to them just cause he wouldnt listen. Thanks for the advice though.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Nice video shoot chris I feel like I just watched the blair witch project. And all I cameo is agree with the above stated and please for your own sake don't go.back.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 PM

nice boots, what size did you end up going with??

Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 PM

i would say bumble is right on. when you do the brakes make sure the caliper float pins/bolts are not seized as that could be causing the problem. also check the rubber boot that seals the piston to make sure it is not damaged

Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 PM

The rubber boot doesn't seal the piston rather it is to keep dust and dirt from getting to the seal. Check it for damage, check for evidence of fluid leaks and check to make.sure all moving part, even the.pistons themselves move

Quick Reply: With the good comes the bad. HELP!