Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Golden Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Golden Bikes

Why is it that every year when riding season comes around everybody thinks their bike is made of gold? I always check out listings at check out prices. Why do some think their bike is worth double and three times what its actually worth? I understand a little mark up.

I have owned and sold a few bikes but I never try to rape anybody on the prices. Luckily I bought my first bike over ten years ago for what it was worth. Now days many new riders will never get on a bike because of what greedy people try to sell them for. But there are the true riders the ones that are just not trying to get money but selling a lifestyle, freedom, and a sometimes a experience that's unforgettable. So I thank the true riders because I would have never been on a bike for what people sell them for these days.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a comparison thing and a "rock bottom price" thing. I saw an old 80's katana posted for like $2k... so anyone who's seen that and wants to sell a bike that's from the 90's or even 2k+ will just add on to that. I was considering selling my RC51 until I saw what people are (or rather aren't) selling them for.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think to myself... when I see a bike that's SO overpriced that their old lady told them to sell it.... So they put it up on craigslist to satisfy her and say... "Gee honey, I dunno why it's not selling.. Nobody is interested.. Nobody has the money right now." And tell her everybody is trying to lowball them and that it's worth more, they aren't gonna sell it for a song.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 AM

It's even worse when the bike has been 'customized' i.e. fugly weird paint job, horribly done work and a look in general MAYBE one other person with bad eyes might sort of like, then say it's one of a kind and slap a crazy pricetag on it. You also get the opposite though. I'm selling some stuff online (leather combi, Nook and a desk) and then people bid a price so low you can't even take it seriously.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 AM

Supply and demand.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
people bid a price so low you can't even take it seriously.
Unfortunately, this is how craigslist usually operates. Sellers are catching on so they will list an item higher than they expect it to sell for just so people can low ball them into the price they actually expect to sell something for. I bought my first bike for $1000 and listed it for sale a few years later for $1500 just so people could talk me down to $1000... ended up selling for $1300 (granted it was in much better shape when I sold it than when I bought it). I got all kinds of crazy offers for it like $1000 worth of car audio equipment +$500 cash or "I'll give you $800 cash today."

Another thing I have noticed with bikes is that way too many people buy them who really can't afford them. They get some crazy loan or financing, then realize later they need to get rid of the payments so they try and sell it for what they owe on the loan or more, which is usually way over book value.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 AM

people like to factor in some "wiggle" room on their price...though I will agree, some of them are just crazy

Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
Unfortunately, this is how craigslist usually operates. Sellers are catching on so they will list an item higher than they expect it to sell for just so people can low ball them into the price they actually expect to sell something for. I bought my first bike for $1000 and listed it for sale a few years later for $1500 just so people could talk me down to $1000... ended up selling for $1300 (granted it was in much better shape when I sold it than when I bought it). I got all kinds of crazy offers for it like $1000 worth of car audio equipment +$500 cash or "I'll give you $800 cash today."

Another thing I have noticed with bikes is that way too many people buy them who really can't afford them. They get some crazy loan or financing, then realize later they need to get rid of the payments so they try and sell it for what they owe on the loan or more, which is usually way over book value.
Oh well I do that too. I have something for sale now listed at 180, I want 150 and won't go lower than 145/140 (and would only go that low if the person could come by yesterday and have the cash in hand). If someone bids 60, then that's just a slap in the face.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 PM

nah, im not talking a little over what you want. im talking about the people wanting 3 to 4 grand more than what it is worth. last crazy one i saw was a 2000 zx6 and the guy wanted $6500 and it was stock. I always ask a little over so they can talk me down.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

in the local classified there was a 2000 F4 that had 12,000km and "minor" damage from falling in the driveway and they wanted $8,000 lol.

Worst one I could find so far didn't a 2006 F4i retail for $8,500 5 years ago?:

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...AdIdZ281611137

Last edited by jeffjones; 06-10-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Golden Bikes