Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Going "bike only"

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going "bike only"

Hey all,

Hows it going? I was wondering your guys' thoughts on going bike only.

I've been thinking about selling my car in the spring next year and riding my bike all spring/summer/fall. I love riding... I really do. It's one of the few things that keeps me sane these days. I just realized a week ago when I got in my car to go to work one incredibly cold rainy morning, it was the first time I got into my car since I passed the MSF class in early October... i went a month without driving my car. I went and got groceries with my bike, clothes, random ****. I went to work on it everyday. All of you will probably go "lol this guy's been riding 1 month and he thinks he's king".

But I'm really serious about this... Now that I have the bike... I don't get the point of also owning a car and paying monthly payments to the bank and to insurance. When winter rolls around next year I think i'm just going to buy some beater car/truck with the cash I've saved on insurance/payments the whole time of not owning a car. I'll pay insurance for a few months, then tuck the car away, take tags off, cancel insurance until the next winter..

While there's obviously no snow/hail/frost/ice in spring/summer/fall, there will be rain. Aside from massive flooding, I should be able to get my bike through it.

So my questions to you all are these -

1) Have you ever gone "bike only"?

2) If no, why not? (family obligations?)

3) If yeah, what are your experiences like from doing it? Good, bad, wish you hadn't, wish you had done so earlier?

Yeah i sound like a massive newb but if a motorcycle is a viable form of transportation during spring/summer/falll months, why bother with a car? (aside from family obligations)

Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM

more power to ya man i could never do that. I would like to though. Just not possible where I live we get a lot of snow and ice and its COLD in the winter. Plus my other passion is jeeps so it would never work.

What area do you live in?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 PM

I would if i could....It gets Cold and Snowy here in ND during the winter as well though so i cant.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM

I live in Maryland. We had a big blizzard last winter... but that's what the beater car is for. Hopefully i can pick up like an old ford ranger or toyo tacoma or something and just keep it for the winter.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by yellowcbr
I am bike only. I had a car for two years and it was just impractical to me because it was just me carrying me around. I love it but it does have draw backs. If you do live somewhere that gets snow, it just cant be done. I live in nc and when it gets into the 40ds and below it gets really cold riding. Also if you have a family it cant be done. If your a single guy or someone with a girlfriend in college or live near your work, i would highly recomend it.
Yeah that sums me up pretty much...I'm 19...all my family has cars so they dont need a ride or anything. And i'm like 15-20mins away from my job.

i'm really thinking this could work out...

Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ren19
So my questions to you all are these -

1) Have you ever gone "bike only"?

2) If no, why not? (family obligations?)
First, I assume we're talking about the single life. It would be virtually impossible for me to go bike only as a married person, although I've read about a couple who gave up their motor vehicles and only have bicycles.

1. No

2a. There were cold, rainy mornings when I would wake up and absolutely dread having to go to work if I had to ride in that mess all the way.

2b. There are times I have to carry things that are way too big to haul on a motorcycle, whether that means grocery bags, Christmas presents or whatever.

2c. A motorcycle isn't always an appropriate vehicle when picking up a date, especially if we're going out to a fancy restaurant and I'm wearing a suit and she has on a nice dress.

2d. Two wheels are not much fun in the ice and snow.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Been bike only for two years. Sold a Z06 3 yrs. ago, bought a truck and bike. Six months later I realized it was costing big bucks to pay for the truck and Ins., and I wasn't driving, I was always on the bike, rain or shine. Now, I'm in Florida, so I have it easier than some, but I'm not paying for a car/truck I don't use. I'm an old guy so I'm at the point, if she wants to go out, she can pick me up in her cage. I make it worth her while, so it's no problem for me............Tom

Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
2c. A motorcycle isn't always an appropriate vehicle when picking up a date, especially if we're going out to a fancy restaurant and I'm wearing a suit and she has on a nice dress.
Man I'm 19, average date for me is taking a girl to the movies and then some cute hole in the wall chinese resturant.

Suit and tie is like 10 years from now on the date i'm going to propose on.

Quick Reply: Going "bike only"