Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Is Global Warming Caused by Human Beings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 11:15 AM
Banned
Default RE: Is Global Warming Real?

I don't belive that we are to blame for the Earths situation. Do I think we may have accelerated it, sure.

Also - do you, "RECYCLE" people have any fricken clue as to how much energy it takes to recycle. Recycling is possibly one of the worst, and most overlooked methods of, "conserving energy."When in fact the process itself requires by far more energy than it's result.

Not only a complete waste of time, but for those of you who cry, "global warming" and have your little multi-colored recycling bins outside your home - I say, hypocrite!

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:01 PM
|

Any form of recycling is good I would think. I could see how you rob peter to pay paul but the overall effort is in the right place.

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

I don't belive that we are to blame for the Earths situation. Do I think we may have accelerated it, sure.

Also - do you, "RECYCLE" people have any fricken clue as to how much energy it takes to recycle. Recycling is possibly one of the worst, and most overlooked methods of, "conserving energy."When in fact the process itself requires by far more energy than it's result.

Not only a complete waste of time, but for those of you who cry, "global warming" and have your little multi-colored recycling bins outside your home - I say, hypocrite!
The whole point of recycling isn't to conserve energy. The point is to conserve resources such as trees, crude oil, etc... Believe it or not, plastic is made from crude oil. Cardboard is made out of wood. The more original raw crude oil and wood we use to make plastic and cardboard, the less we have for refined oil and forests.

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:37 PM

some glaciers are dissappearing, others are growing. here is a list of some that are growing (only a partial list)

Ă…lfotbreen Glacier
Briksdalsbreen Glacier
Nigardsbreen Glacier
Hardangerjøkulen Glacier
Hansebreen Glacier
Jostefonn Glacier
Engabreen glacier
Helm Glacier
Place Glacier
Antizana 15 Alpha Glacier
Argentina's Perito Moreno Glacier (the largest glacier in Patagonia)
is advancing at the rate of 7 feet per day. The 250 km² ice formation,
30 km long, is one of 48 glaciers fed by the Southern Patagonian Ice
Field. This ice field, located in the Andes system shared with Chile,
is the world's third largest reserve of fresh water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perito_Moreno_Glacier
- Chile's Pio XI Glacier (the largest glacier in the southern hemisphere)
is also growing.

NEW ZEALAND
All 48 glaciers in the Southern Alps have grown during the past year.
Thegrowth is at the head of the glaciers, high in the mountains, where they
gained more ice than they lost. Noticeable growth should be seen at the
foot of theFox and Franz Josef glaciers within two to three years.(27 May 2003)
Fox, Franz Josef glaciers defy trend - New Zealand's two best-known
glaciersare still on the march
- 31 Jan 07
[*]
Mount St. Helens’ Crater Glacier Advancing Three Feet Per Day
25 Jun 07 - See Crater Glacier[*]
Mount St. Helens glacier (Crater Glacier) growing 50 feet per year September 20, 2004 - See Mount St. Helens
[*]
Glaciers growing on California's Mount Shasta!
12 Oct 03 - See Mount Shasta Glaciers Growing
[/ul]

That is what they don't tell you.

Polar Bears drowning, please. Their population is actually growing at the moment. Animal rights groups are petitioning CITES to list them to stop hunting. Global warming is just their little excuse that is at the moment very public and well received. In fact it was less than 10 years ago that their population was deemed recovered enough to allow importation of legally harvested bears from sport hunting into the US.

some other interestign quotes and snippits not told

“Right now I do not have confidence that changes in sea ice and clouds are done correctly in climate models. The annual cycle is not correct in many models, so why should it be correct in climate change [projections]?” - Kevin Trenberth, head of climate analysis at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo.

“And the deceit knows no bounds. The United Nations released a report at the end of 1996 saying Global Warming was a fact, yet before releasing the report two key paragraphs were deleted from the final draft. Those two paragraphs, written by the scientists who did the actual scientific analysis said:

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:43 PM

Jaghunter i agree with everything you said...

Show me some unhappy polar bears i dont know if you know this but the polar bear population has actually increased please people quite trying to fight this losing fight.

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:57 PM

Global warming is real.... There is no way to debate that...

But... Is it a natural cyclical thing, or is it caused by humans?

Im putting my money on nature.... But, I also think that there isnt enough evidence to say it could be one or the other.

Old 07-18-2007 | 02:12 PM
Retired Moderator

These debates are really hard for me. I never feel confident that what I am saying isinformed unless I have had the opportunity to do research. Even then, you will be able to find studies supporting which ever side you are leaning toward. I think it would be ignorant to think we don't have some responsibility in the destruction of our Earth and depletion of our natural resources. I don't know to what degree, but I sometimes think about thetrash my family generates and shudder to think about us times...how many? Anyway, I think it is good to do your share, but I am not going to live on a farm with a bunch of people who don't bathe and use their own feces to fertalize the vegetables we grow and drive to the market in our vegetable oil cars.

Old 07-18-2007 | 02:36 PM
Default RE: Is Global Warming Caused by Human Beings?

I won't debate this today, as it takes the posting and explaining and quotes from scientific studies...but Global Warming is a farce.

Old 07-18-2007 | 08:30 PM

Global warming is ALL POLITICAL!!! People are saying it's dumb to think that it's not happening; the world is melting, drive a hybrid... Bull****. Stop listening to MSNBC and Time magazine and learn some history. I wasn’t even alive in the '70s, but anyone remember what happened? The left wings and all the drive-by-media decided the world is getting too COLD. They were "warning" us of global cooling. Not too long after that the temp rose by something like half a degree and they turned it around. Now it's global warming. If you’re too dumb to realize that it is the natural cycle of the earth (or if you chose to listen to the media) then YOU have a problem. This argument is all politics. People will have their different views and never agree, I understand that. Just telling you the facts. And yes, the world may be getting warmer. But it's not because of humans... we are not even accelerating what changes are already naturally happening, and it's nothing like people make it out to be.

Old 07-18-2007 | 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: dpeach06

Global warming is ALL POLITICAL!!! People are saying it's dumb to think that it's not happening; the world is melting, drive a hybrid... Bull****. Stop listening to MSNBC and Time magazine and learn some history. I wasn’t even alive in the '70s, but anyone remember what happened? The left wings and all the drive-by-media decided the world is getting too COLD. They were "warning" us of global cooling. Not too long after that the temp rose by something like half a degree and they turned it around. Now it's global warming. If you’re too dumb to realize that it is the natural cycle of the earth (or if you chose to listen to the media) then YOU have a problem. This argument is all politics. People will have their different views and never agree, I understand that. Just telling you the facts. And yes, the world may be getting warmer. But it's not because of humans... we are not even accelerating what changes are already naturally happening, and it's nothing like people make it out to be.
QFT..

Here is another interesting fact:

It produces more pollutants to manufacture and drive a Prius, ("eco-friendly" car) than a Hummer produces over the life of the cars.

Nice post peach.

Quick Reply: Is Global Warming Caused by Human Beings?