Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Is Global Warming Caused by Human Beings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Global Warming Caused by Human Beings?

I would like to rephrase the question a bit, do you think global warming is being effected by human beings?

I think it is not true but I still believe making less of an environmental impact on the world.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Default RE: Is Global Warming Real?

Funny question. I spent three years in Antartica...met several scientist that were studying the ozone layer there. I posed the very question to a senior sceintist. His answer to me..."do you have any idea the amount of money that has been given to the various sceince foundations from the government?....what do you think we'll say after years of begging for funds?"

Also...keep in mind that not more than 10 years ago our very same government suggested we melt the polor ice caps due to the "big freeze". Remember that?

Am I anti government? No way, I am retired military.

I just think we, as Americans, tend to jump on these "band wagons" or "causes". Its almost the in thing nowadays.

Just my two cents!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 AM

Regardless as to whether global warming is "real" (based on human influence) or mostly a natural part of earth's climatic cycle, I think that conservation and dependency reduction is a good thing. I personally think that no matter what happens, human beings will either adapt or cease to exist.

As far as fossil fuels are concerned, lower consumption/dependency or pursuit of renewable resources is never a bad thing, especially if it reduces our dependency on arabic countries.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 AM

I answered no because I don't beleive that it is real in the sense that Al Gore would lead the world to beleive. For one his Inconenient movie was full of lies, just ask anyone who knows what they are talking about. Alot of the pictures of plants polluting in that movie, was actually water vapor not smoke, there are plenty of scientists that say that the human influence is negligible, although he says that there is not a single one.

I find it funny that humans think we are so great that we can have such a huge impact. One volcanic eruption of a decent size puts more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than people do in twenty years. How many volcanoes are on this planet? Alot.

The earth goes through heating and cooling periods all through out history. Why should this cooling/heating period be any different. They say it is not natural, but are humans not natural? We are a part of the environment, evolved over time withit.

Also new reports are showing that the Sun is actually increasing its output in recent years, ie burning hotter. If the sun is getting hotter so is earth.

Like said above it is the cool bandwagon to be on right now. Before that it was AIDS in Africa thanks to that idiot Bono.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 AM
VP

if you don't think global warming is real I feel really bad for you... but not as bad as I feel for the POLAR BEARS WHO ARE DROWNING TO DEATH because there aren't glaciers any more.

Go to Alaska and visit a the Hubberd glacier..I went 10 years and went again last year and it's a FULL MILE shorter. These things have lasted tens of millions of years and now suddenly they're dissappearing? Give me a break.

If global warming isn't real maybe we should go to war with [insert whatever Middle Eastern country has more oil] for stealing the glaciers.

Check out some of these sites for more info (not provided by Al Gore)
http://www.leenks.com/link40051.htm

You can actually sit and watch them disappear... see the the blue ice in this video? That means it's been frozen for thousands of years.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&plindex=2

Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 AM

i dont know if its real or not.. but the movie day after tomorrow was pretty good.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:16 AM

I am not saying there isn't change...but remember it is cyclic.

In Antartica, we took ice core samples from 14000 foot depth. These samples are in a tube approx. 20 feet long. One opened, you see lines or growth rings. It is like reading the rings of a tree. The sceintist showed that our wether patterns are very CYCLIC.
What your refering to now has happened several times over history.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigpops
The sceintist showed that our wether patterns are very CYCLIC.
What your refering to now has happened several times over history.
Very true.

My take on global warming:
Glabal warming isn't so much an issue for the planet as it is for the people. The Earth naturally goes through cycles of hot and cold, melting and thawing of the ice caps, ice ages, etc. The issue with "global warming" is that we humans may in fact be accelerating the rate of change to many times faster than normal. Because of this extremely fast rate of change animals and plant life may not be able to survive or adapt. This could mean bad news for us and a lot of other animals that we depend on.

Reminds me of one of my favorite George Carlin Quotes..."The planet is fine. The people are f_cked!"

Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Old 07-18-2007, 10:44 AM

I agree with anything George Carlin says!

Quick Reply: Is Global Warming Caused by Human Beings?