Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gimme a "Break"

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimme a "Break"

I know some of you are getting or have purchased new bikes. Its going to be getting warm sometime soon be me(hopefully) so my question is
how did you "break in" your new bike? I know there is different veiwpoints on this topic but i would like to know what YOU did. Im going to follow the honda manual but it only talks about the first 300 miles really...and the first oil change.
This is my first time with a new bike so i was just a little conserned.
Thanks

Old 03-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Default RE: Gimme a "Break"

I took it easy for about 600 miles, but I was in the same boat as you. I just didn't have any experience breaking in a sportbike engine. After 4300 miles she's still running great, so I musta dun sumi'n right.....

Old 03-05-2007, 01:21 AM

After 4300 miles she's still running great, so I musta dun sumi'n right.....
If your bikeis not running greatat 4K mile it's got serious issues.
Proper engine and transmission break ins require proper heat cycles. Before you start really ride it allow the engine/trans to heat up to normal operating temp. No wide open throttle launches, easy upshift/downshifts, vary engine rmps (all the way uo to redline)and gear selections ( use all gears equally).Basicaly don't treat it rough but don't baby it (too much) either.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 AM

Yea im gonna go through all the gears and vary the rpms and hopefully it will all be good!
There really shouldnt be any problems i guess i was just thinking about it to much. With modern day
sports bikes they make them to last i trust Honda!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:46 AM

This might sound crazy but Honda says you should do all the necessary warm up procedures and oil changes/services necessary, but after that ride your bike as hard as you want. Ride it like you will be riding it for the rest of its Japanese life. I dont know if that advise is sound or not but someone at Honda told me it sotake what u want from it

Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Banned

I've heard a lot of stuff, but there is a link somewhere (?) that has time-tested, proven methods of breaking in a bike. It is unconventional, but they've done it with brand new bikes.

They'll break one in just as the manual states, then the other they break in using their method.

Every single case shows their method to be superior. They break the engine down and show you the pistons out of each. Every single one broken in per manual shows premature wear in the piston rings, which leads to power loss, and eventually, premature engine life.

Using their methods, you'll clearly see that every single piston they pull shows a full seal on the rings. Meaning it is completely broken in as an engine shouldbe - with rings sealing.

It all starts with draining the oil that's in your bike when you roll it off the floor. I forget what type they recommend, but it's only for the first 1,200 miles or so. Then you go back to using the oil recommended by the manufacturer.

Come on, someone's gotta remember the link I'm talking about. I'm brain farting here.

I'll tell you what though, when I finally get a newie - I'm breaking it in just as they described.

Now to find that link so when I get a new bike in 10 years I'll be able to break it in right!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took it easy. I just varied the RPM's throughout the RPM range, used all the gears, and rode like a normal sane person would. I had the first service done right at 600 miles, and have changed my oil every 3 months or 2500 miles, whichever one comes first.

Just as long as you vary the RPM's when you first get it to set the piston rings, you should be fine, and it's VERY hard to screw up a break-in (if that's even possible anymore).

Old 03-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw
Come on, someone's gotta remember the link I'm talking about. I'm brain farting here.
Is this it?:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm not yetconvinced on this method.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:34 AM

My buddy just bougt a new zx-14... they reccomended changing the oil after the first 300 miles, and then 600 and 1000. Vary through the gears, and dont go above 7,000RPM. He wasnt too worried, 6th gear at 6,000 RPM was something like 120mph.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 AM

I let mine warm up to 150 before I took off on it. I went through the gears, never breaking 4K RPM's. Had my first service done dead on at 600. I still took it kinda easy, not as easy as the initial breal in, but no bouncing the rev-limmiter either. And at 1K miles, drove as usual, but still never really opened her up, not enough road in these parts, and with rain 7mo out of the year, kinda tough. I had the bike dynoed when I hit 1K miles, and it turned in 158, and after the arrow system and aPCIII it turned in 165. Right along what you would expect from an 06 1KRR with those add-ons.