Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Getting a fish tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a sweet looking stand. When I have a place of my ow I'll be getting another aquarium.

One of my Profs and UNOH had a 1500 gallon saltwater tank-INSANE

Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 PM

I have always been interested in keeping up on an aquarium. I've had them on and off, but since I've been away at school the last 4 years. I'd like to have a 55 gallon tank with cichlids as soon as I can have a solid place to stay. My friend has a 55 gallon salt tank and I'd love to have a salt water tank but it is a lot of work and a very slow process.

^haha we are both from Rockford but not even close

Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Used to have a Jack Dempsey years ago, he bit me once.

Have had lots of tanks, fresh and salt, over the years. 200 gal salt biggest I ever had with a nurse shark. He had to go to the city aquarium when he outgrew the tank.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM

i like the fish that eat all the green slime off the tank.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM

hah - get one of each and see what happens.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
Used to have a Jack Dempsey years ago, he bit me once.

Have had lots of tanks, fresh and salt, over the years. 200 gal salt biggest I ever had with a nurse shark. He had to go to the city aquarium when he outgrew the tank.
mmmm tasty shark

Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Man that Queen Angle looks awesome. I do have a few questions though. Ive heard mixed answers about water changes. People say they change 10-15% every week and then others say they change 30-45% every 2-3 weeks. What would you recommend?

Also I used to have a dingy filter for my 20 gal but since this one is almost twice as big what type of filter would be best. Ive looked around and i kinda like the idea of this one. http://www.aquacave.com/hagen-fluval...lter-2856.html

I think it would be awesome to have the plants moving kinda like they are in a current since im going for a natural look.

Thanks in advance.
the water changes mostly apply to salt tanks as salt water fish pee , fresh dont, this means a build up of ammonia , eventually becomes toxic. with fresh tanks , i olny did a water change annually , and olny about 15-20% and at that time i would scrape the glass and clean the plants. in two days the water clarity would be perfect. on the filter , dont look at all the fancy chit out there , go to pet smart and price the filter medias for the filters yer lookin at , i always went with the cheapest . you can buy the filter media in somewhat bulk as well as the activated charcoal. i changed my filter once a month, this kept everyone happy. i always liked to oversize my filter , it kept a good current in the tank and very clean. plants are cool but understand this , the jack dempsey i had hated when i would bury the plant and whithin 10 min he would uproot every one, funny but irritating. the filter you showed isnt all bad , just a pita to service. i would recomend a Topfin 60, rear mounted filter. quiet , eazy to service ,cheap media , and most important...its the quietest one.alot of the others have fancy lookin spin wheels and crap that doesnt work well after a week or two.good luck bro , and if ya need anything holla ...

Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Jesus - I never took Bam for a fish-guru. haha learn something new everyday.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

Well im starting to get my tank together. Ive got the stand, the tank and some stuff in it.

I havent put plants in it yet cause im making sure the Ph levels are alright before i do. All in all it will be about another week before i start adding fish.

For plants i plan on adding the following
Amazon sword

This fern which i dont know the name

Old 02-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
I plan on getting a 40 gal bow tank with some nice Cichlids and i want to add a few live plants.
The cichlids will probably eat the plants. Check with the fish store on what is best for the plants.

Quick Reply: Getting a fish tank