Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Getting a fish tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting a fish tank

Well thanks to Indiana Hurricane i will now be getting a fish tank! He keeps posting these damn photos on facebook of his fish and it made me miss mine. I havent had one since i was about 15 so im really looking forward to it.

I plan on getting a 40 gal bow tank with some nice Cichlids and i want to add a few live plants. I havent decided on what type yet Cichlid but i used to have a tiger, and albino in a 20 gallon tank before i had to get rid of em.(cant fly fish in a plane to texas)

Anyone out there a aquarium fan?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i used to have a salt-water tank. the fish were cool, but talk about a pita to keep up.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pictures please

Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
pictures please
I actually dont have anything till my next paycheck but i will update with pictures once everything is started. Ive gotta let the tank run for a few days to let some bacteria build up and make sure everything is okay before introducing the fish.

As for the fish here is what im looking at.
This is the tank i want. Its 36 gallons and i may try to sneak a 46 gallon one in but since im in an apartment im not allowed anything over 20 gallons. I got the okay for a 30ish tank. lol

Rubber lip pleco for eating algae

or a Spotted Hifin

A Managuense

A Jack dempsy

A green terror

A bumblebee

And an Electric blue

Im not getting all of them just about 4-5. Im trying to follow the 1in of fish per 1 gallon rule. Plus i have to take in consideration the space rocks and plants will take up.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Get a bublebee and an electric blue.

Those look pretty cool.

My Dad used to keep a salt water tank. His was HUUGE. No idea the size, but it was at least 5 feet in length i'd say.

I don't know jack about them, but its neat.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 PM

always had aquariums , salt and fresh , my fav tank was my 70 gal fresh with african jews , super hearty fish and look killer. very agressive to any other fish than a sucker fish. Salt was awsome but as stated , the biggest PITA ever, 20% water changes every month, and when i lost my queen angel , ($125 fish) i quit salt. good luck bro , holla at me with any questions , ive been there...peece

Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Get a bublebee and an electric blue.

Those look pretty cool.

My Dad used to keep a salt water tank. His was HUUGE. No idea the size, but it was at least 5 feet in length i'd say.

I don't know jack about them, but its neat.
Yeah those two are on the get list cause of the colors. then i have to decide between a Green terror or Jack Dempsy and a Rubber lip, or a Spotted hifin. I would like the Hifin the only issue is they grow to about 18 inches.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by bambam
always had aquariums , salt and fresh , my fav tank was my 70 gal fresh with african jews , super hearty fish and look killer. very agressive to any other fish than a sucker fish. Salt was awsome but as stated , the biggest PITA ever, 20% water changes every month, and when i lost my queen angel , ($125 fish) i quit salt. good luck bro , holla at me with any questions , ive been there...peece
Man that Queen Angle looks awesome. I do have a few questions though. Ive heard mixed answers about water changes. People say they change 10-15% every week and then others say they change 30-45% every 2-3 weeks. What would you recommend?

Also I used to have a dingy filter for my 20 gal but since this one is almost twice as big what type of filter would be best. Ive looked around and i kinda like the idea of this one. http://www.aquacave.com/hagen-fluval...lter-2856.html

I think it would be awesome to have the plants moving kinda like they are in a current since im going for a natural look.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:13 PM

Why are the Jack Dempsy and the Green Terror named what they are

Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Why are the Jack Dempsy and the Green Terror named what they are

They are all aggressive fish so there names kinda suit them. The following videos show why. haha (these are also my guesses)

The Jack dempsy eats a piranha baby right in front of the piranha that is twice his size and still hold his own.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkiIR0fofgA

and well the green terror is named that for making other fish scared of it. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYx_m4-Yeg

Quick Reply: Getting a fish tank