Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gear saved my life...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear saved my life...

Or at least, a lot of skin. I was on the highway when an idiot cut me off. I changed lanes in order to avoid her, and sped up to get away from her. Next thing I know there's a green truck in front of me swerving, and a giant industrial sized bubble wrap monster falls off and is bounding for me. I can't get out of the way in time, I hit. Next thing I know I'm on the ground rolling.

Last thing I remember seeing was my speedometer reading 72mph. I guess that's the fastest my body's ever gone... I'm grateful that I got up. I'm grateful that all the cars stopped. I'm grateful that I was wearing my gear.

I don't have the pants yet. Ironically I was planning on buying the for myself for christmas, but my gloves, helmet and jacket took the brunt of it, along with my jeans. I'm surprised my jeans held out as long as they did, and my jacket still looks brand new. My helmet doesn't even have a scratch on it ( granted, i didn't hit my head, I somehow kept it cradled) but my gloves as destroyed.

Afterwards, while waiting for someone to come pick me and Tracy up, I saw no less then 5 bikes, and none of them were wearing any gear besides a helmet. I hope they never go down. I got off well, and I'm still in pain. I'm glad that a lot of people here advocate gear. I hope that it changes someones mind, and they decide to start protecting themselves.

Here's the damage on me:
Name:  CIMG1271.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  60.9 KB
Name:  CIMG1274.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  82.2 KB
Name:  CIMG1273.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  76.2 KB
Name:  CIMG1265.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  77.5 KB
Name:  CIMG1264.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  57.2 KB
Name:  CIMG1262.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  50.2 KB
Honestly I got off really really really lucky, and I just think that it could have been a LOT worse. I've never seen my bone though, and it's kinda disturbing looking at it...

I don't have any pics of my baby.. It hurts more to think about her then me.. I'm hoping to have her healed before the end of break though.. I'm planning on pampering her, in hopes she forgives me.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your one lucky bastard & glad your ok despite the injuries you sustained. Gravel rash hurts more than anything & by tomorrow your going to be sore. Get some decent dressing for the hands & fingers. And thank god your where wearing your gear. Don't fret to much about your bike right now, its all fixable.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Well all this happened yesterday. I woke up this morning none worse for wear... relatively speaking, except that my right arm is a bit sore. My girlfriend's dressed all the wounds. I look like The Mummy from the legs down thanks to her:P

The one on my back keeps leaking though:P

Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Looks like you faired very well; good to hear you're still alive. Holy smokes!
So did the bubble wrap guy stop? He's definitely liable for your injuries & your bike.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 PM

Just another good reason to wear gears.

Oh I'd like to share mine.
Uh, it's kinda long so all I'll say I guess is:
my Fox Raptor Knee/Shin Guards saved my knees 3 times,
my ProBiker Gloves saved my palm twice,
my jacket saved my elbow once,
my shoes saved my feet four times,
and my cap-type helmet (too lazy to wear a full-faced one) saved me once (giving out, poor helmet broke apart). Now I wear a full-faced one.

Now that should've been a lot of skin (and possibly brain) literally on the road.
Thanks to my protective gears I'm still in one piece.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 PM

Nope. Guy took off I assume.. Didn't see a green truck after getting up.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

my sincere condolences on the accident. hate to hear about that. glad to hear your ok for the most part. keep a very close watch on open wounds to protect from infection, in some ways it can be worse than initial damage.

dont know the area your from or how big but here in the city they have traffic cameras everywhere that ADOT(az dept of trans) monitors. maybe one of them caught something useful like a tag number or info leading to the driver. worth a shot, give the responding officer a call see what they can do.

on a slightly lighter note, at least it was bubble wrap that you hit and not something heavier/solid.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:53 AM

Good thing you were geared up! You would have been really messed up if you chose not to wear the jacket and gloves. I can't say enough about good gear... it has saved my skin a couple of times.
As you know, riding a bike is a lot about managing risk. We all know what can happen when we ride. Gear and bikes can be replaced.
I had a get off years ago and did the contortionist act trying to get stopped. Those seconds it took to finally came to a halt can be played over in super slow motion in my mind. It seemed to take forever. The first day after the accident wasn't too bad. Day two, however, I could hardly move.
I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back on the bike as soon as you are able.
Tom.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:26 AM

Ouchie. Bet it's not fun trying to go to bed at night with that rash on yer sides. I guess I could see where a jacket would slide up, but I can't believe your hands are still that bad... Come to think, I have some crappy gloves, I should probably get some better ones before next season. Definitely could've been worse.. glad you are "ok." Hope your hands heal up soon especially.. oh damn, and those sides! :-(

Old 12-17-2009, 07:52 AM

Take it eazy for a while bro... take good care of those hands and keep em kleen... glad you pulled thru this one...any witness? a green truck's company owes you bike repairs and gear at the least, not to mention any medical cost...peeece

Quick Reply: Gear saved my life...