Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gas prices and new riders? No rants!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas prices and new riders? No rants!

I am riding mine a lot more as a DD. I have a Dodge Hemi and that gets about 13 mpg, and it sucks!!! Trying to get rid of it, but of course, no one wants it . But thank god we have a Jetta so when me and the wifey are home, we can use that.

But honestly, I see more people buying more expensive and gas guzzeling vehicles.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:51 AM

A new V8 Toyota Sequoia isas fast as my 1988 Mustang GT was in the 1/4 mile.

I hear ya on that one. I do like the fact that there are so many quick vehicles made today, but they are gas hogs. What good is a 400hp truck if you can't afford the fuel for it.

The only problem I have with using the bike as a total DD is I have a 28 mile drive to work one way5 days a week and it rains kinda alot here in OH. I hate to ride in the rain, plus I work in an office so I have to dress nice 4 out of the 5 days a week. Then from mid NOV to April riding is on a here and there basis due to cold, snow and ice, not to mention all the loose salt that is on the roads-it's not being on gravel.

Like I said I'm going to try to use the bike alot more when I can.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last two years when we have had gas prices spike, there was an influx in riders and bikes on the road. Down here you see bikes everywhere anyways. Will there be an increase? Yes. Will it be a majority? No.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 AM

So what if there are more riders out there. Just means less cars to hit you. It also means that we can see our bikes for more $$ when we decide to buy a newer one.

The problem is that people will keep buying large vehicles because they can. If you can afford a $50 vehicle, you can pay for the gas without problem. Also, you will see a lot of business owners driving around in these large SUVs because their fuel costs are tax deductable and the cost of the vehicle is a deductable expense over the first 4 years or so. When you get a significant tax break based on the whole cost of operation, who wouldn't buy the biggest coolest thing out there?

In Ohio I couldn't care less all winter how much it snowed, but now that I can see 40+ temps I want so badly to start riding again. I need to get some maintenance done before I can go riding again though.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 AM

I just bought a new to me car and one of the 2 major reasons for buying it was fuel economy, the other was owning another honda. hehehe

I get about 31mpg on my little 1.6L sohc vtec motor that pushes as much hp as my old car a 2.0L dodge neon. For some reason I cannot figure out what car companies are doing these days. My 1995 Honda civic has the same hp and gets almost 10mpg more than my 2003 dodge neon. Somethings not adding up. Anyways I always laugh at these new commercials with these awesome new cars that get 30mpg, OMG I'm SOOOOO impressed, too bad 13 years ago honda did the same thing.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 AM

i have a car loan and a bike... i fully intend on riding the bike as much as possible. i think the sale of gear will go up though because more people will be riding and will want more gear for all types of weather ya know? i dont know, we'll see i guess

id rather be surrounded by bikes than SUV's and soccer moms

Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM

We're selling our gas hog jeep to get a better gas milage car. Guy took it out yesterday for a test drive and brought it back w/ no reverse. Now it's in the shop to figure out what he did to you. Point being, I'm still going to sell it, because I only needed it this winter to pull a trailer to go pick up motorcycles, so we could sell them this spring. I'm all about doing my part to put more people on bikes, I won't sell to anyone to who doesn't have a motorcycle endorsment. No, I don't run a shop, it's just something that my wife does while at home w/ the kids.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM

well.. i work for an Oil and Gas Co. so i dont pay for my gas, but if i did i would be driving a prius and my bike only, its about $70 to fill my Jeep GC with 89 octane. gas prices are retarded, but its also the reason i get a check every other week.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

so i dont pay for my gas
Can we come to your house to siphon fuel from your car to our cars???

Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 PM

people will continue to complain but do nothing about it. the suv driver will complain they are spending so much money on gas but still drive the suv when they are never filling it with people.

i think there will be some more rider but i do not think its going to be a noticible amount becuase if they are riding to save money on gas then they are probley only going from work to home. people who ride for fun are on the road a lot more.

Quick Reply: Gas prices and new riders? No rants!