Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gas price

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas price

Gas price here on premium is $4.34, even the regular is $4.14 now. For both my car and bike, I never put anything but premium. I don't use my car much and even on my bike, I fill up gas once a week so it is not too bad. I feel for people who have to drive long way every day. Is premium really premium though? I hear some people claim that you can use regular for cars that "need" premium without no problem. I think I did unleaded plus once long time ago, and my car didn't run as good as premium, so I never put anything but premium since then

Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well lucky you Gas Prices in Canada right now are $1.23/L ($4.65/Gal)
You vehicle will not run any better if you put in higher octane.
My bike needs 86 or higher so I put in regular, if I put in 91 or 94 I won't get any benifits compared to the extra money I paying for it.
But if your vehicle says minimum 91 then I wouldn't put any less in it.
I figure the car/bike manufacturer has designed the engine for whats specified so I just stick with that.

I still remember when I started driving 12 years ago gas was $.46/L

Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 PM

Many threads on this topic, here and just about any forum that involves engines.

But basically, if your engine is not designed to run on high octane, your actually causing it to loose power. High octane resists detonation, so its actually harder to ignite. You will be making your engine less efficient with premium if its not required. But if it is required, then do not run less octane as it is needed to resist pre ignition.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you def don't need premium if all the mods you have are the ones in your sig....

if you get high compression pistons... or you're running hotter plugs... maybe. the real reason to run premium is to stop pre-detonation.

the higher the octane the slower the gas burns, therefore, you need more of the premium gas to get the same amount of "bang" in your stock engine, so not only are you paying more for it by volume, you're using more of it too.... you need to run the lowest octane you can without any engine pinging.

back on topic, that sucks man. its like 3.60 or something here for regular.... i don't really pay attention to gas prices that much considering i'm going to be filling up regardless, but still i don't wanna pay stupid amounts of money for the go juice tho

Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I remember under $2 once upon a time.

I don't have my manual with me, but doesn't 600RR require high octane? My car needs 91

Old 03-26-2011, 07:01 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Conrice
you def don't need premium if all the mods you have are the ones in your sig....
Oh really? I didn't really do anything mechanical. So I can do regular?

Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

definitely, i dont want to say anything about your car because i know nothing about it. if it has a high compression, or it runs really hot by nature, or if it is gas direct inject, you probably do need the premium stuff.

i ran one tank of premium once in my 954, and noticed that i got worse gas mileage, it didn't come up to temperature as quick, and there was a sluggish-ness on throttle response. that was all that really happened. minus that one tank, i've never ran anything over 87. my bike runs great, i commute on it and ring it's neck out a lot. i've never had an issue with the fueling.

edit - you're not hurting anything except your wallet by running higher octane. its not bad for your bike. and the engineers that design the bike are quick to throw a "require 91 octane" sticker because it's one more they can point blame at if something happens to the engine under warranty, even though thats not the issue. my jetta had a "91 sticker" and i never used anything other than regular, no problems from it.

Last edited by Conrice; 03-26-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
August 2011 ROTM

definitely, i dont want to say anything about your car because i know nothing about it.
Audi A5?

Old 03-26-2011, 09:00 PM

I was thinking about this the other day .. I drive a toyota yaris 40 mpg but really its around 45 something mpg if I really granny drive it. I get better gas mileage on this car than I do on my 2004 F4i!!! I don't have the manual for the 04 F4i but I was wondering about downgrading to 87 octane

Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best check your manuel Yumon. My 09 came with a sticker on the tank saying to use premium fuel only. So thats what i use.

Quick Reply: Gas price