Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gaming Platform

Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gaming Platform

My gaming platform of choice is the PC.

Entertainment (and the military) is one of the biggest drivers over technology. If you watch an NFL game and see that camera on the wire behind the quarterback and so many other small details of the coverage, you can see all of the money invested in the sport and its broadcast.

Likewise, gaming has been a big driver from the PC technology. Matter of fact, those that are playing with the new game systems like, the 360 and PS3, you are playing on technology that was originally developed for the PC for the purpose of bigger and better gaming. Its a shame to see the popularity of those 2 systems. It causes a lot of the developers to make games for those platforms. This unfortunately has the side effect of letting the development of said technology go a little stagnant until the next generation system.

The thing that I think the PC still has a huge advantage is things like Left 4 Dead. Those that own and play the PC version of this game have the ability to download and user created content. New levels and such that can be downloaded at a whim (especially after Valve releases the L4D SDK). This is something that will offer a large replayability factor.

I also prefer the controls more for most games I play. Although I do see a use for typical control in games such as Madden and other sports games, I prefer the old Nostromo and mouse setup for 90% of the games.

EDIT: I will admit though...you get consistency out of gaming systems. Meaning that they don`t have to worry about hardware compatibility issues. But I get tired of cookie cutter games too that seems to be prevalent on the typical console games. I`d like to see how well Starcraft 2 will hold up on a console.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gaming Platform

I used to be a PC gamer until I got my PS3. As stated in you edit, I got sick of upgrading my PC for the latest games. It's something I never have to worry about anymore. Additionally, even though user content isn't available, the PlayStation store does provide the means to download developer add-on packs and such. Also, console games can now get updates via the internet.

The big bonuses are that it also functions as a Blu-Ray player and a media server. I'd have to say that the media server features are the greatest bonus of having a PS3, as I can stream all of my audio, video, and pictures right to my living room via Wi-Fi.

The one thing that has always remained consistent is the quality of sports games on the console versus the PC. As a HUGE fan of the EA NHL franchise, the PC version of the games just don't compare. Also, anybody who plays Madden can testify as well that the PC version is ALWAYS a watered down version of the console versions of the EA Sports titles.

The final point that I'd bring to the table in this discussion is the fact that the PS3 has HDMI output and is designed for use on my HDTV. It also has a fiber optic audio output. Yes, you can do this with a PC, but for starters, who wants a computer in their living room? Not only that, but you have to pay the bucks for the right hardware to get the same video and audio quality that is inherent in the next-gen consoles.

...I used to upgrade my PC yearly, but haven't touched it once since I got my PS3. I've basically abandoned my PC for all but it's basic functions.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 AM

They sell a mouse and keyboard for PS3

Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 AM

I never used to be a pc gamer. I was always a playstation guy until the 360 and ps3 came out. I probably would have gotten the ps3 but the xbox wasn't as expensive and there were some games for xbox that I Really wanted to play so I picked it up.

Since I got my 360 I fell in love with it. The controller feels so good to play with, it doesn't cramp my hands or anything. Now when I play ps3 the controller just feels awkward because I am not used to it. I am jealous the ps3 is capable of playing Blu Ray but other than that I am completely happy with my xbox.

I am on my 4th xbox 360 and I have had zero problems with it since I received my this one. The 360 has had alot of issues but hopefully they are clearing it all up.

I will be picking up a ps3 for sure though once I have the money to put towards it or once the price goes down some more since I already have a console Im not in too much of a rush.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 AM

I agree that Madden is best played on the console, but more because of the social aspect. There is nothing like razing the guy sitting next to you. As for Madden being watered down for the PC, I think that is less likely to happen now because its nearly a direct port from the 360 to PC since the systems are so similar.

Another game that wouldn`t fair well on the PC is the Burnout series. For the same reasons.

Gaming on the PC is certainly for those who have the money to spend on it. Yes, you can have a PC next to the TV, even some that look like standard stereo equipment, but it is certainly expensive. The consoles have the advantage of mass production and relative affordability for the masses.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: cbrsix

I am on my 4th xbox 360 and I have had zero problems with it since I received my this one. The 360 has had alot of issues but hopefully they are clearing it all up.
LMAO, still on my first PS3

My cousin had the 3 quarter red circle problem a few times...but anyway, this forum has already seen the PS3 vs X-Box 360 debate.

Woo, you are wrong about the EA Sports titles. For whatever reason, they don't simply port the games. They port the previous years console title and add a few things. Don't ask me why, but I've experienced this personally a few years back. According to several reviews on the web, this is still occuring, at least on NHL 09.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:38 AM

virtual boy FTMFW

Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 AM

I am a huge nhl player too and recently right before the election i was playin 2008 ill get 09 for christmas but i thought they didnt update the older games once the new came out but on the boards they had a picture of obama and it said vote tuesday. J/w if maybe you noticed shoortbuss if they did the same for 09.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 AM

PS3 is the gaming plateform for me..

Old 11-26-2008, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

I used to be a PC gamer until I got my PS3. As stated in you edit, I got sick of upgrading my PC for the latest games. It's something I never have to worry about anymore.
I upgrade my PC maybe every 2 years....as far as gaming consoles...there too expensive, the games are expensive(I usually d/l mine for free) and the consoles dont last as long that i have had.....and then after 2-3 years you need to buy a new console...I havent played a console since the orig xbox, and I sold mine after about 6 months b/c I never played

you are 100% right about sports games though, I cant play sports games on a comp, just isnt the same as a console. But I am more of a shoot em up kind of gamer...and to me shooter games are alot more fun on a PC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gaming Platform