Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

freeways

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: freeways

ORIGINAL: Mstngdrew232
you can let some of your guard down because no one is going to magically apear out of nowhere like they will on the city streets or the highway.
And thats the exact moment your gonna get nailed. You never let your guard down, but your all knowing, how dare i forget. [sm=lame.gif]....we're talking about the highway just so ya know. Your comparing daventport to chicago or LA? come ride once with us here and youll agree with me.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: c0ldf1ame

so over here in LA, theres traffic 2 in the morning sometimes, n road is filled with idiot drivers, on freeways i've actually had people trying pass me, and im going 90+ already. Also we get lane changers that dont use signals, people that tail gate, random brakers that slam on thier brakes on a straight for no reason, people who jump in and out of carpool lanes that are separated by double yellow lines, no one has patience here, i've heard of cars trying to block bikes in rushhour traffic because they cant stand having people pass them while they wait. We got mexican women driving with no license or insurance (no offense to anyone here but this really happens) almost everyone in a car is on a cell phone. No one pays attention to the road, i've seen people reading while driving, looking at maps, on the phone, drawing, doing make up, hitting a bong (a full sized bong). Not to mention the roads are crap.
+1 to that! glad somebody knows what its like.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Sure, I only have 250 miles on a bike on the freeway, but i have at least 10k in cagers over only 2 years. Boonies? Davenport is only 30 minutes away, it has one of the top 10 muder rates in Iowa.
What does the murder rate have anything to do with traffic? I can say gary IN is the top, doesnt make me learn a new lesson on ******* drivers?

and btw drew, comparing 10k miles on a moped is hardly experience. Max speed on those things is 40mph downhill. A 600cc bike has a tad diff traits when it comes to riding at higher speeds.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRCRF

For me living near Seattle, there almost always seems to be heavy traffic on the freeways. So I always get people changing lanes into me , not checking blind spots, not using blinkers, people using cell phones, lap tops (only once have I seen that). So I seem to pay a little more attention on the freeways then on the side streets.
im right there wit ya. to me they are more of a pain in the *** cause everybody wants to go fast and dont mind cuttin off people. they never see me, ive been cut off more times on the interstate than on side roads. but after all the traffic comes down it gets fun cause u can go fast as hell lol.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:22 PM

i think basically just keep in mind that anything that could happen in the city streets can happen on the highway but the results of any kind of crash or anything with be much much worse just because of the speed, and on top of that alot more people are tired or bored driving freeways just becase they have been driving longer alot of times so basically i think its just the same rules but pay MORE attention because anything that happens will be worse because of the speed ur going and never trust other drivers to do what their supposed to cause they probably wont, just my .02

Old 03-23-2007, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Silentalero

you can let some of your guard down because no one is going to magically apear out of nowhere like they will on the city streets or the highway.
And thats the exact moment your gonna get nailed. You never let your guard down, but your all knowing, how dare i forget. [sm=lame.gif]....we're talking about the highway just so ya know. Your comparing daventport to chicago or LA? come ride once with us here and youll agree with me.
An freeway or interstate has no intersections...
A highway is any main road, especialy ones between two towns...
Stop being so condescending... If you're on the freeway, with no intersections and all, and there are no cars around, you dont have to worry as much about the cars. You cant say that you drive different when you're in busy traffic than when you're out on a stretch of interstate with no cars... You're being compeletly belligerant and treating me like i'm a little kid.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Stop being so condescending... If you're on the freeway, with no intersections and all, and there are no cars around, you dont have to worry as much about the cars. You cant say that you drive different when you're in busy traffic than when you're out on a stretch of interstate with no cars... You're being compeletly belligerant and treating me like i'm a little kid.
You can bring your CBR down here to Vegas... 20 minutes with all theSURPRISEconstruction, drunk drivers, and IDIOTS will REALLY make you feel like you can leave your gaurd down when you're back at home. HOWEVER, YOU NEVER SHOULD PUT YOUR GAURD DOWN!

Even on quiet/rural roads/highways an accident WILL happen. That's exactly why they're called accidents. THEY WERE UNEXPECTED!

For some examples of crazy things that can happen to you when "no one is going to magically appear out of nowhere":
1. Animals don't have head lights (making them hard to see)...and if they're big enough they'll F*CK you up! Not to mention the fact that they'll usually scamper across highways when there's no traffic.
2. Rocks, sand, mud...DEBREE's a b*tch! AND ALWAYS UNEXPECTED!
3. Hey, what about mechanical problems?... If you're not paying attention-LOOK OUT!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:41 PM

Im not treating you like a kid, im showing you my point and its obvious people here agree with me because we have expreience in this. If you think an intersection is the worst thing to look out for then you got another thing comming. There are more than cars on the road man. Your arguing a point that has no validation and then saying you can let your guard down when the only expressway youve ridden on obviously is rural roads.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Retired Moderator

I think that no matter where we are in the big big world, we have to watch our ***. We can puff up, and push out our chests, and claim to have the worst traffic in the history of mankind, but the main thing is...keep your eyes peeled. I don't care if you are in a town of 2000 peopleor a city like LA or Chicago. We are always the underdog. Now, that being said, I lived in the Bay Area for five years, and I made a point of being an aggressive cager. It is like a wolf pack, if you aren't aggressive, you are dead meat. I would hate to ride a bike in a big city. My hats off to those that do it every day.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:08 AM

Approx. 85% of my total miles ridden (3k) have been on the freeway, at high speed, and I was not relaxed in any way. I can only add that my most enjoyable rides have been at low speeds on rural surface streets. I love smellin' the barbeques and stuff.Freeways seem to have fewer variables, but seem to be more lethal. The HD drivers in my safety course said they don't even ride on the freeway, due to the cagers.